Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Remote Start Possible in UK ?

01-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #23
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
Also worth noting that your insurance won't cover you if it's knicked.

It would take less than 10 seconds for someone to smash the window, unlock the door and drive off
They won’t get far without a key being in the car!

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #24
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Quote:
Also worth noting that your insurance won't cover you if it's knicked.

It would take less than 10 seconds for someone to smash the window, unlock the door and drive off
They won't get far without a key being in the car!
The engines started, so they can get as far as the fuel in the tank. Which for most people will be at least a hundred miles away. They can go a mile and you could never see the car again. And the insurance won't pay out
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 06:05 PM   #25
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

And how would the insurance company know whether the car's engine was running or not at the time?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 03:52 AM   #26
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
And how would the insurance company know whether the car's engine was running or not at the time?
How are you going to explain it was stolen without a key? Or are you willing to lie to your insurance company ( which is a crime )
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 04:22 AM   #27
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
How are you going to explain it was stolen without a key? Or are you willing to lie to your insurance company ( which is a crime )
Since when I have to explain how the car was stolen? How would I know? I'm pretty certain a lack of key isn't much of a problem for professionals. As far as I'm concern, the car was locked on my private drive way. It's not there anymore. It was stolen.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #28
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
Quote:
Since when I have to explain how the car was stolen? How would I know? I'm pretty certain a lack of key isn't much of a problem for professionals. As far as I'm concern, the car was locked on my private drive way. It's not there anymore. It was stolen.
You always have to explain the nature of how the car was stolen ( assuming you've had to go through it). They ask you were the cars are abs if the engine was running at the time.

It's your risk, I'm just warning you that I know people that have had this happen to them on a 50 grand car and been out of pocket.

If you wish to risk it, that's your choice but be aware of the consequences
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #29
Biglewey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e, Morgan Plus 4

Pre-Condition Security

Both my previous Jag (XF with petrol ICE) and this BMW 330e as I say have remote pre-heating/cooling.

All other functions are disabled without the key present. So the car is just as secure whether the pre-heat is on or off.

The ignition (or equivalent in hybrid) is off etc so nothing works and the steering is locked, brakes on etc.

You would not be able "just drive off". Having such an insecure system would be not be clever.

Why BMW (as you suggest) dont allow ICE to do it but JLR do is something to ponder?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:22 AM   #30
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglewey View Post
Both my previous Jag (XF with petrol ICE) and this BMW 330e as I say have remote pre-heating/cooling.
How's the Jaguar preconditioning? Has it got an additional petrol fuelled cabin heater?

BMW don't add the auxiliary heating option on most UK ICE vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #31
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
How's the Jaguar preconditioning? Has it got an additional petrol fuelled cabin heater?

BMW don't add the auxiliary heating option on most UK ICE vehicles.
In the case of my XE, you remotely started the car via the app, then set the climate control accordingly. I am aware that some Jags do have aux heaters, but mine didn't. I also think the car automatically switched off after around 30 minutes if you didn't use it.

As Biglewey said, all other functions are disabled until the key is present. I tried it on my drive by unlocking the car, remotely starting with the app, then getting in without the key. As soon as you touch the brake pedal to engage drive, the car shut down.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #32
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

I had a Saab 9-5 53 plate back in the day with pre heating. It would start up with a cloud of smoke for a minute or two ( frightened the neighbours in the early days) and stank of paraffin but boy was it welcome for icy starts. You had to drive for at least 20 miles though to recharge the battery.
Love my 330e’s modern day equivalent!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 02:06 PM   #33
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman15 View Post
In the case of my XE, you remotely started the car via the app, then set the climate control accordingly. I am aware that some Jags do have aux heaters, but mine didn't. I also think the car automatically switched off after around 30 minutes if you didn't use it.
Ah, you were running the ICE, not preheating with an auxiliary heater.

I remember reading years back that the direction of movement, was to try and phase out the fuel powered auxiliary heaters, due to pollution/emissions.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #34
Biglewey
Enlisted Member
Rep

My xf started the engine to warm the car no special preheat system.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #35
Digzz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
FSC is a paid for enabling code issued by BMW for some features such as HBA, remote start, etc.

Pretty sure it's still illegal to 'quit' a vehicle on a public road, but not on private land/garage, which is why some other manufacturers allow remote start in the U.K. apparently.
Thank you

Would my local BMW Retro fitter have this FSC code thing ?

What does it involve to code this ?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 06:19 AM   #36
Biglewey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Remote Start

Not sure about codes and stuff.

Ive got connected package pro and seemed to be included. Once I had downloaded the app and logged in with VIN etc remote start was there.

I did log into the BMW site with VIN and it shows what you have got or can purchase.

As example - I paid for auto dipping headlights on line (that were mentioned as preparation) but not activated. Paid my money and next time I was in car auto dip was enabled.

So if you dont have it perhaps thats the way to activate?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 06:35 AM   #37
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:

Ive got connected package pro and seemed to be included. Once I had downloaded the app and logged in with VIN etc remote start was there.

I did log into the BMW site with VIN and it shows what you have got or can purchase.

As example - I paid for auto dipping headlights on line (that were mentioned as preparation) but not activated. Paid my money and next time I was in car auto dip was enabled.

I have connected package pro but can’t see remote start mentioned. Could you post a screenshot of where to look for this option please.
I also don’t have an option to pay for auto dipping headlights, not that I’m interested in this feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 08:26 AM   #38
Digzz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Are you from the UK ?

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 06:21 AM   #39
Biglewey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Remote Start

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk...sional_LBS_6C4

Above is where I can see Remote Services which seems to be part of the Proff package.

Here it is in My BMW on android -its the fan icon on the right end of the bar.

You have to create and account and add your VIN to see whats specific to your car and shows what you have got, what you can order and what you cant have. Thats is shown on page

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk...#/portal/store - which is where I ordered dipping headlights. Called High Beam Assist.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 06:32 AM   #40
Azure350z
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Quote:

Above is where I can see Remote Services which seems to be part of the Proff package.

You have to create and account and add your VIN to see whats specific to your car and shows what you have got, what you can order and what you cant have. Thats is shown on page

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk...#/portal/store - which is where I ordered dipping headlights. Called High Beam Assist.

Hope this helps.
That isn't remote start. That is heating and ventilation for a hybrid vehicle only, using the battery or mains power. If it wasn't a hybrid you would only be able to ventilate to cool the vehicle with outside air.

The remote start that people are wanting is to be able to start the vehicle engine remotely so that the engine can be used to heat the vehicle or the air con to cool it. In the US this is enabled but not in the UK
Appreciate 1
ifr1198.00
      01-07-2021, 07:58 AM   #41
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure350z View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps.
That isn't remote start. That is heating and ventilation for a hybrid vehicle only, using the battery or mains power. If it wasn't a hybrid you would only be able to ventilate to cool the vehicle with outside air.

The remote start that people are wanting is to be able to start the vehicle engine remotely so that the engine can be used to heat the vehicle or the air con to cool it. In the US this is enabled but not in the UK
Exactly this.

Remote start (1CR) is NOT available on BMW cars in the U.K.

It could be coded on supported petrol models with an FSC (017C). How much functionality that will enable is unclear I.e. keyfob start will work, but remote connecteddrive enablement might not
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #42
Biglewey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Remote Heating

Apologies if what I was saying was wrong or misleading...

I was only trying to be helpful - Ive only had a 330e recently not a petrol or diesel BMW for some years and i clearly put my experience was with a 330e. How could I know that it wasn't available for petrol or diesel versions? You seem to differentiate between remote start and pre-condition which is fair enough but why would you remote start your car if it wasn't to pre-heat or cool?

But it must be BMWs choice not to activate it for the UK. I definitely had a Jaguar XF that was petrol and did start the engine remotely to pre-heat/cool and that was a UK model.

So, back to the actual question of is it legal in the UK? assuming JLR know their stuff it must be. It seems BMW just don't allow it?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 04:42 PM   #43
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Apologies if what I was saying was wrong or misleading...

I was only trying to be helpful - Ive only had a 330e recently not a petrol or diesel BMW for some years and i clearly put my experience was with a 330e. How could I know that it wasn't available for petrol or diesel versions? You seem to differentiate between remote start and pre-condition which is fair enough but why would you remote start your car if it wasn't to pre-heat or cool?

But it must be BMWs choice not to activate it for the UK. I definitely had a Jaguar XF that was petrol and did start the engine remotely to pre-heat/cool and that was a UK model.

So, back to the actual question of is it legal in the UK? assuming JLR know their stuff it must be. It seems BMW just don't allow it?
Its illegal in public roads. JLR allow it because they probably trust you would only use it while the car is in your driveway, but BMW is probably being more cautious and just not allowing it at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 06:04 PM   #44
chrisnoy
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
Its illegal in public roads. JLR allow it because they probably trust you would only use it while the car is in your driveway, but BMW is probably being more cautious and just not allowing it at all.
Not just JLR, Volvo also.
Appreciate 0