Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK New car collection checklist

01-12-2021, 06:10 AM   #1
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

New car collection checklist

Morning all.

Maybe a bit of a dumb ask, but does anyone have a generic downloadable checklist of things to run through when collecting a new car?

I've one for used cars, but guessing that the list would be a little different for new. I assume when buying used there's a few things that you take as "sold as seen" that you probably wouldnt accept on a new car. (scratches etc). Vice versa, some things not as important as would be covered by warranty if issues discovered later.

Im assuming that in these current times, collections will be a little different, so dont want to feel unprepared and rushed, and end up missing something that I really should have flagged before driving off.

There seem to be a few around the web, but all seem a bit verbose/bloated for scanning through at time of collection.

Thanks in advance.
      01-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320D 2019, current M340i

I've always bought used cars and tbh I've done the standard checks that most will do, walk around, test drive, check for scratches etc.

Nearly a year ago I bought a 1 year old approved used BMW form a main dealer, looked perfect etc. Only to find out that it was in a huge crash with subsequent repairs to go. Overspray, respray lines, weld repairs, even bloddy masking tape! List goes on. The car has long since been returned, see my post about it as it will help with where/what to look out for. https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1706667

So since then I have picked up some skills in for more in depth checks such as, checking the paint colour matches, any over spray in hard to reach places (door joints etc), running my finger on the door lip to see if theres a respray line, checking under the car to see if there's any clips or bolts missing, even checking if all the weld joint look original.

To some this might be overkill but with the crap I went through with that car I'm not making that mistake again. I even did those checks on my replacement (pre reg 1 year old) as I've heard dealers have a margin of 15% damage on arrival (not sure about the %) which they fix, most likely without telling you.

In short, it always pays to do some in depth checks.
Appreciate 0