Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Door Handle Lights issues for anyone?

08-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Door Handle Lights issues for anyone?

Does anyone else have issues with their 330i door handle lights not turning on 90% of the time when you unlock your vehicle? I have it set to turn on, but it never works. Does it have anything to do with digital key being set up for the guest user and Myself?

This is starting to annoy me, door lights don't come on, the unlock/lock feature when walking to and away from the car don't work either... I think most of my problems started happening when I created a profile for Myself and stopped using the Guest one since dealer told me to create on when I went in for the 'BMW Genius' appt a few days ago.

Curious if anyone else has these issues. Obv its nothing serious, but if it comes with these features and I just got the car, I'd like to be able to at least use them. I tried to go through all the settings a few times, but nothing seems to be wrong.

Last edited by premier3is; 08-11-2019 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 01:10 AM   #2
lausc
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1642080

Seems that we are not alone
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lausc View Post
Did you take it to the dealer? If so what did they say?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 05:44 AM   #4
lausc
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i

no... i will see if I have the time this week... but looking at what other people say I doubt if they can do anything about it. Seems that it is a software bug and have to wait for BMW for a fix. My comfort access whether by approaching or grabbing the handle works intermittently so I have to use the key sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
premier3is
Major
Rep

Well even my Map settings don't save under my profile. I remove all the POIs from showing on the Maps (don't like seeing the irrelevant things) and when I get in the car again the next time, they all return. It doesn't save my settings for it oddly. Will be taking it to the dealer when I get a chance to see if they can do a software update.

Will let you know if it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 10:39 PM   #6
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Don't have any trouble with the lights currently but I don't know why bmw decided not to have them turn on when the car is in reverse. Do any of yours turn on?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:24 AM   #7
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
You mean tbe door lights not turning on when the car is in reverse?
      08-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
You mean tbe door lights not turning on when the car is in reverse?
No I mean when I unlock the vehicle, door handle lights and pathway lights don't turn on. When they do it's intermittent too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual View Post
Don't have any trouble with the lights currently but I don't know why bmw decided not to have them turn on when the car is in reverse. Do any of yours turn on?
Not sure, how do you guys check if your door handle lights turn on from the outside when you are in reverse? Not sure how this can be accomplished.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #9
premier3is
Major
Rep

Dropped the car off at dealership today. Will keep you all posted on what happens. Looks like the vehicle has the March (03) version of the software installed. From reading on the forums I see there is a July (07) version out, told them to update so we can see if that fixes some of the issues.

Also sometimes the key cant be read inside the vehicle, says vehicle key not detected. They will check that out too. I just got this car 1.5 weeks ago, so far pretty upset at all these small issues. How common are little things like this happening on new BMW vehicles? Really hope I don't have to deal with problems for the term of the lease :/
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #10
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Dropped the car off at dealership today. Will keep you all posted on what happens. Looks like the vehicle has the March (03) version of the software installed. From reading on the forums I see there is a July (07) version out, told them to update so we can see if that fixes some of the issues.

Also sometimes the key cant be read inside the vehicle, says vehicle key not detected. They will check that out too. I just got this car 1.5 weeks ago, so far pretty upset at all these small issues. How common are little things like this happening on new BMW vehicles? Really hope I don't have to deal with problems for the term of the lease :/
Most folks have March (03). Doesn't appear that most/all dealers have received this July (07) update, or at least it hasn't been properly communicated to them that it's available.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #11
premier3is
Major
Rep

Updated yesterday to 07.2019.39 and so far the only difference I noticed is some layout changes in settings for the navigation. It did not fix my comfort access feature issues. I came home and then started messing with the system trying to see if its bugged and also backtracked to what may be causing the issue.

Well, I found out and got it to work (its bugged). This may help the others. IF you manually disable the interior lighting to not turn on when you open the door (holding down the center dome light button for a few seconds), it will DEACTIVATE your 'welcome and goodbye' and 'door handle lights' EVEN if you have them set to turn on in the settings. I did not know this, neither did anyone at BMW. I just happened to mess around with it and got it to work.

Hope this can help someone who is having the same issues.

Last edited by premier3is; 08-16-2019 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 4
hubbahubba8783.50
EXE462100.00
mzdial114.50
      12-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #12
prowla
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i M Sport

I'm having a similar issue with my March 2019 320i M Sport.

I've only ever pressed the key-fob button to lock/unlock the car.

I configured the app on my iPhone some time back.

I did an update via the iPhone app over a month ago, but I didn't notice anything at the time.

However, just this weekend I went out to the car and pressed the unlock button on the key fob, but nothing lit up: not the door handle lights, not the puddle lights, not the interior lights.

And they didn't come on when I opened the door, so I sat in the car in darkness (bar the instrument cluster lighting up and the coloured door trim ambient lights (which I have orange).

If I press the overhead reading lights they come on and if I press and hold the centre button there it also lights up (and if I hold it, it goes off).

But nothing makes the interior lights/door handle lights/puddle (sorry, welcome carpet) lights come on.

Drivers door, passenger door = nothing.

I've check the setting on the app and there's nothing there.

I have them set to come on in the car settings on the settings/sat-nav display.

Is there an issue, or is there some secret key combination/sequence I have to do?

(I'm posting this in this thread, because I've just joined and my first post has to be a reply...)

Thanks for looking!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 06:09 AM   #13
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Does anyone else have issues with their 330i door handle lights not turning on 90% of the time when you unlock your vehicle? I have it set to turn on, but it never works. Does it have anything to do with digital key being set up for the guest user and Myself?

This is starting to annoy me, door lights don't come on, the unlock/lock feature when walking to and away from the car don't work either... I think most of my problems started happening when I created a profile for Myself and stopped using the Guest one since dealer told me to create on when I went in for the 'BMW Genius' appt a few days ago.

Curious if anyone else has these issues. Obv its nothing serious, but if it comes with these features and I just got the car, I'd like to be able to at least use them. I tried to go through all the settings a few times, but nothing seems to be wrong.

I have had the same issue with Comfort locking but haven't noticed if the door lights are affected - as discussed in other posts some functionality is switched off if the battery charge is low including Comfort locking and stop/start. Wouldn't be at all surprised if non essential lighting was switched off as well.

My 330i isn't getting much use at the moment and I get the battery low warning most times I use it - a ten mile run seems to top the battery up enough and all back to normal.

Your thread has just reminded me I need to order a battery conditioner!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:06 PM   #14
alreadyexists
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 2019 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowla View Post
I'm having a similar issue with my March 2019 320i M Sport.

I've only ever pressed the key-fob button to lock/unlock the car.

I configured the app on my iPhone some time back.

I did an update via the iPhone app over a month ago, but I didn't notice anything at the time.

However, just this weekend I went out to the car and pressed the unlock button on the key fob, but nothing lit up: not the door handle lights, not the puddle lights, not the interior lights.

And they didn't come on when I opened the door, so I sat in the car in darkness (bar the instrument cluster lighting up and the coloured door trim ambient lights (which I have orange).

If I press the overhead reading lights they come on and if I press and hold the centre button there it also lights up (and if I hold it, it goes off).

But nothing makes the interior lights/door handle lights/puddle (sorry, welcome carpet) lights come on.

Drivers door, passenger door = nothing.

I've check the setting on the app and there's nothing there.

I have them set to come on in the car settings on the settings/sat-nav display.

Is there an issue, or is there some secret key combination/sequence I have to do?

(I'm posting this in this thread, because I've just joined and my first post has to be a reply...)

Thanks for looking!
I’m having exactly the same problem! Has anyone had any luck sorting this out yet?
Appreciate 0