Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Titling a vehicle in Montana via LLC

03-06-2024, 11:55 PM   #111
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
You can’t be pulled over based on the state your car is registered in so your friend may want to brush up on his rights and ask the cops if they’re going to write him a ticket or if he’s free to go, and don’t answer any questions if he’s not being detained. He should also record every one of these illegal stops and consult an attorney on how to sue the police department for doing it repeatedly.
WHAT How dare you. He's an evil financial manipulator skirting the law to avoid paying taxes. He should donate money to the local police force to show his support for their enforcement vigilance. After all, it's not like the guy is a business owner who pays hefty city, county and state taxes and provides jobs that further line the aforementioned parties' coffers.

I'm still laughing someone blocked me because they're that ass blasted about laws existing.
      03-07-2024, 08:04 AM   #112
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
You can’t be pulled over based on the state your car is registered in so your friend may want to brush up on his rights and ask the cops if they’re going to write him a ticket or if he’s free to go, and don’t answer any questions if he’s not being detained. He should also record every one of these illegal stops and consult an attorney on how to sue the police department for doing it repeatedly.
Driving an expensive car with Montana plates NOWHERE near Montana is probable cause to be questioned for invalid registration and tax fraud. Nothing illegal about the stop, just illegal what he's doing.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:59 AM   #113
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Driving an expensive car with Montana plates NOWHERE near Montana is probable cause to be questioned for invalid registration and tax fraud. Nothing illegal about the stop, just illegal what he's doing.
I’m not sure if you’re trolling or not but that is absolutely NOT cause to be pulled over or questioned for anything. That would be an illegal stop without cause. Unless you are being detained for committing a crime, you don’t have to tell them a damn thing. If you are being detained, don’t answer any questions without a lawyer present. You always have the right to remain silent.

If you are detained and they say anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law they aren’t joking, so don’t tell them anything. Learn your rights so you don’t get walked all over by overzealous idiot cops that don’t know the laws they’re supposed to be enforcing and how basic rights work.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 11:58 AM   #114
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’m not sure if you’re trolling or not but that is absolutely NOT cause to be pulled over or questioned for anything. That would be an illegal stop without cause. Unless you are being detained for committing a crime, you don’t have to tell them a damn thing. If you are being detained, don’t answer any questions without a lawyer present. You always have the right to remain silent.

If you are detained and they say anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law they aren’t joking, so don’t tell them anything. Learn your rights so you don’t get walked all over by overzealous idiot cops that don’t know the laws they’re supposed to be enforcing and how basic rights work.
Having all the hallmarks of tax fraud and illegally not registering a car where it's garaged is just ok to you? You do shit like that, you SHOULD be detained as result of breaking the laws requiring vehicles to be registered where they're kept.

Overzealous cops aren't the problem here, it's people thinking that they should get to commit tax fraud and not have to follow registration laws because they don't want to pay the money they owe.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 12:03 PM   #115
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Invalid registration and tax fraud

Dude you are hilarious if you don’t think there are at least 20,000 cars with out of state plates driving in California on any given day…
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 12:28 PM   #116
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Invalid registration and tax fraud

Dude you are hilarious if you don’t think there are at least 20,000 cars with out of state plates driving in California on any given day…
Give it time, the Cali government will come for their money and then some at some point.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 12:30 PM   #117
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

This topic always bring the self righteous tax paying nerds out of the woodwork. They're so convinced that if you register your car via the Montana LLC arrangement you'll be sent to jail. Good entertainment for sure.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6069.00
      03-07-2024, 02:40 PM   #118
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Having all the hallmarks of tax fraud and illegally not registering a car where it's garaged is just ok to you? You do shit like that, you SHOULD be detained as result of breaking the laws requiring vehicles to be registered where they're kept.

Overzealous cops aren't the problem here, it's people thinking that they should get to commit tax fraud and not have to follow registration laws because they don't want to pay the money they owe.
You should try to understand your rights and how the law works instead of what you think should happen to people that may or may not be breaking any laws. This advice applies to all aspects of life, not just car registration. Don't lick their boots. The police are not your friend and talking to them about anything will not help you in any way whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 06:16 AM   #119
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
It sounds like the Kansas police do not believe the BAC Mono is street legal in Kansas and the car gets pulled over for not being a legal road car. I see it as no different from being pulled over for a safety violation, such as a burned out tail/brake light. If the driver shows a Kansas drivers license and Montana registration and tag, I can see where the Police would suspect there is a Kansas state law being broken.

"He's been pulled over multiple times in the last year solely because the cops do not believe the car can be legal and his plates fake."
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 10:06 AM   #120
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
It sounds like the Kansas police do not believe the BAC Mono is street legal in Kansas and the car gets pulled over for not being a legal road car. I see it as no different from being pulled over for a safety violation, such as a burned out tail/brake light. If the driver shows a Kansas drivers license and Montana registration and tag, I can see where the Police would suspect there is a Kansas state law being broken.

"He's been pulled over multiple times in the last year solely because the cops do not believe the car can be legal and his plates fake."
“Are you going to write me a ticket or am I free to go?”
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 11:13 AM   #121
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:

If I were a cop, I too would think the BAC Mono is not street legal given it's appearance, single seat cockpit, minimal lighting, etc. The first time he was pulled over was because the police thought the car was too loud and that it was a kit car. They had him rev to 5000rpms and the dBA measurement was just under the legal limit when they measured via their Iphone of all things He was then given some really weird ticket about invalid registration. The DA ended up contacting him a week later and questioning him about registration. The DA asked why he didn't register in KS, how he's accounting for the taxes, etc and then left it as "I'll need to look further into this. I may have more questions for you later". That was 3 months ago. Then he got pulled over again last month because the officer said the headlights did not appear to be at the legal height and again, the officer thought the plates and registration were wonky given that this MT plated race car that likely isn't going to be driven long distance was cruising around KS. The officer saw the prior ticket about registration and that it was reported as having an open status (possibly meaning the DA must still be looking into it?). The officer measured the headlight height and they were fine and he decided not to ding him again for the registration. The officer apparently was a fan of the car. The owner has also been closely tailed a few times and could see the officers punching away at their keyboards. He assumed they were running the plates as they backed off and went on their way. He did have a license plate frame made that says "THIS IS A BAC MONO".

The owner of the BAC Mono told me the reason he registered in Montana was not to avoid taxes, but rather be able to drive the car. He's concerned that the DA is going to cook up something about tax avoidance and he'll need to hire a real attorney to fight it . The BAC Mono owner is loaded and drives a Aston Martin Vanquish S and 2020 911 TT as well, both cars registered in Kansas (I've seen the cars). He said he's not worried about the money, but rather if the DA might try to weave in criminal tax avoidance charges which could be damaging to his business. His experience has spooked a few of his wealthy KS clients with MT registered vehicles that they have ceased their LLCs and have registered the cars (mostly Ferraris and Lambos) in KS. These guys were absolutely avoiding the KS taxes which are high for a number of reason, many of which are good and positive.

The real kicker is the guy has no idea how I feel about those registering their cars in MT. LOL.
      03-08-2024, 01:48 PM   #122
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
If I were a cop, I too would think the BAC Mono is not street legal given it's appearance, single seat cockpit, minimal lighting, etc. The first time he was pulled over was because the police thought the car was too loud and that it was a kit car. They had him rev to 5000rpms and the dBA measurement was just under the legal limit when they measured via their Iphone of all things He was then given some really weird ticket about invalid registration. The DA ended up contacting him a week later and questioning him about registration. The DA asked why he didn't register in KS, how he's accounting for the taxes, etc and then left it as "I'll need to look further into this. I may have more questions for you later". That was 3 months ago. Then he got pulled over again last month because the officer said the headlights did not appear to be at the legal height and again, the officer thought the plates and registration were wonky given that this MT plated race car that likely isn't going to be driven long distance was cruising around KS. The officer saw the prior ticket about registration and that it was reported as having an open status (possibly meaning the DA must still be looking into it?). The officer measured the headlight height and they were fine and he decided not to ding him again for the registration. The officer apparently was a fan of the car. The owner has also been closely tailed a few times and could see the officers punching away at their keyboards. He assumed they were running the plates as they backed off and went on their way. He did have a license plate frame made that says "THIS IS A BAC MONO".

The owner of the BAC Mono told me the reason he registered in Montana was not to avoid taxes, but rather be able to drive the car. He's concerned that the DA is going to cook up something about tax avoidance and he'll need to hire a real attorney to fight it . The BAC Mono owner is loaded and drives a Aston Martin Vanquish S and 2020 911 TT as well, both cars registered in Kansas (I've seen the cars). He said he's not worried about the money, but rather if the DA might try to weave in criminal tax avoidance charges which could be damaging to his business. His experience has spooked a few of his wealthy KS clients with MT registered vehicles that they have ceased their LLCs and have registered the cars (mostly Ferraris and Lambos) in KS. These guys were absolutely avoiding the KS taxes which are high for a number of reason, many of which are good and positive.

The real kicker is the guy has no idea how I feel about those registering their cars in MT. LOL.
Sounds like he just needs to write a check to pay the taxes if he gets assessed a tax. If the car passes Kansas safety regs, then it looks like it's a tax assessment issue. I'd say the DA is being fair about it. If the BAC owner had broken a law, I'm sure the DA would have made it clear. And it's a civil penalty not a felony.

The dude drives an unusual car that garners attention. Duh. No reason any of us need to say the Police are asshats.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 01:53 PM   #123
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
“Are you going to write me a ticket or am I free to go?”
You said the traffic stops are illegal. I disagree. No traffic stop is illegal. If the Police suspect the driver of a car is breaking a law, they can pull him over to investigate. Is it a hassle for the guy? Yep. Sue the Police for what, doing their job?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 03:52 PM   #124
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You said the traffic stops are illegal. I disagree. No traffic stop is illegal. If the Police suspect the driver of a car is breaking a law, they can pull him over to investigate. Is it a hassle for the guy? Yep. Sue the Police for what, doing their job?
Police cannot pull over a car based on the state the car is registered in. Having a car that isn’t registered in the state you’re currently driving in is not illegal. Therefore, the driver is under no obligation to provide any information other than proof of drivers license, registration, and insurance. So tell them to write you a ticket and ask if you’re free to go. If they write you a ticket any cheap lawyer would have it overturned easily.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 08:47 PM   #125
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Police cannot pull over a car based on the state the car is registered in. Having a car that isn’t registered in the state you’re currently driving in is not illegal. Therefore, the driver is under no obligation to provide any information other than proof of drivers license, registration, and insurance. So tell them to write you a ticket and ask if you’re free to go. If they write you a ticket any cheap lawyer would have it overturned easily.
Agree. If I were the guy I'd lawyer up, it's clear he's not friends with the people he needs to be.
      03-08-2024, 09:43 PM   #126
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As I quoted in my previous post, the Police pulled the car over (numerous times) because they thought the car was not road legal, not because it had out of state plates.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 12:16 AM   #127
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
As I quoted in my previous post, the Police pulled the car over (numerous times) because they thought the car was not road legal, not because it had out of state plates.
Yeah, so show them the registration, tell them it’s road legal, and be on your way. You don’t have to tell them a damn thing about why it’s registered in another state when you haven’t committed any crime and aren’t suspected of one to be detained.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 05:34 PM   #128
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
When you say Police and thinking in the same sentence, I’m out🤣🤣.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 12:33 PM   #129
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/ch...tion-violators)

California highway patrol has a program for ca residents to tattle on their neighbors who have these out of state plates.
Don’t be surprised if this kinda thing comes to whatever shit hole over taxed/regulated state too.

As far as getting pulled over police probably won’t stop you for having a Montana plate, but they will not struggle to find a real reason to stop you if they suspect you are using this tax loop hole. Tint, no front plate, loud exhaust, driving like a BMW driver.

Once they stop you for a real reason and you have to hand over your license and registration is when they will learn you have Montana plates and a license that doesn’t match.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 04:53 PM   #130
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo Cat View Post
https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/ch...tion-violators)

California highway patrol has a program for ca residents to tattle on their neighbors who have these out of state plates.
Don’t be surprised if this kinda thing comes to whatever shit hole over taxed/regulated state too.
Kind of an F-around, F-out program?
Appreciate 0