Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Need your opinion

12-15-2023, 12:28 PM   #1
CORLEA27
CORLEA
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d 2019 Manual

Need your opinion

Hi,

I have an BMW G20 320d. It has a business package, nothing fancy / sporty.

I am thinking into getting new 19" wheels ( about 2k ), m8 front bumper ( about 1k ), spoilers and stuff. So a pretty hefty investment for a normal daily 320d car right.

My question is, is it really worth it? Like, could I sell it and buy another car? Like a 330i with M-sport from factory?

Thanks,
Alex
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 02:15 PM   #2
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Everyone to their own, but for me ploughing all that cash into a base model (no disrespect intended ) car to make it look more sporty doesn't make sense. It may look nice while you have it, but insurance costs will increase and when you come to change it you'll be lucky to be able to trade it in at any dealer. Even if you can they will reduce the value considerably regardless of how professionally its modified. Also you are heavily restricting your marketplace for potential customers for a private sale as everyone sees such mods differently. I would put the money towards the upmarket car myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 07:44 AM   #3
psaav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340 xDrive

My opinion for all cosmetic modifications is go for it if you like the way your car looks with them. You are the owner and driver and if you feel good when you're driving in it and like the looks when you approach or walk away from your car, then mod it. But....you probably won't get your money back spent on all those mods in a trade-in or private sale. Cosmetic modifications should not de-value your car and can mostly be reversed to stock. Now, performance and mechanical modifications are another story.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 08:37 AM   #4
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i ZTR

My general rule of thumb is if you can buy the parts used / heavily discounted and can do the install (and subsequent UN-install) yourself, the costs aren’t too bad. Just don’t make any irreversible mods or buy $$$$$ carbon parts and you’ll probably do okay.

That said, I have no idea what the market looks like for selling used speed parts in Europe…
Appreciate 0