Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Is the 330e for me?

03-16-2024, 03:00 PM   #1
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Is the 330e for me?

Hello friends!

At long last, I will be replacing my e90 330i. Need to modernize. We are considering the PHEV 330e. Our use cases would be:

- Commute to work 2x a week.
- 60km round trip. Office have charging facilities.
- Shuttling kids to activities within 10km radius.
- Occasional longer drives and annual road trips.
- Home garage L2 charging capable. So it will be generally charged daily at home vs public. The latter's infrastructure is dubious.
- Have other ICE vehicles.

Been reading up some threads here. Is the trunk space really an issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 08:47 PM   #2
RBradleigh
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 330e xDrive

Trunk space, you said you have kids. Does your other car/cars serve as the family hauler? If so there’s 0 issue of trunk space. That said, really there’s plenty of space for most juants.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 10:05 PM   #3
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Yes we have an X1 that has a tow hitch.
Very rarely we hit max out the X1's cargo space.

I think the typical challenge would be Costco runs. I can never predict the haulage at checkout!

RBradleigh I see you are in WA. How is the battery under typical PNW winter? I'm up in Vancouver, BC.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 08:35 PM   #4
RBradleigh
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 330e xDrive

I get about 20mi all battery on full charge + the additional 4 from regenerative braking on most daily commutes.
Sometimes the morning shows 22mi available and sometimes 18. No idea why not consistent, today a “warm” morning showed 18 at startup.

My daily drive into work is 13mi and so I come close to being able to do the full roundtrip on battery.

Overall I probably get 60mi+/gal with my commuting needs.

Not that I need AWD that often and you likely don’t either in Vancouver but the premium ~$10k for the AWD version is why I didn’t go for the i4.

Overall very happy with my 330e and it works for me. Wife and I don’t have kids so rare that I’ll ever require a large trunk. And she has a larger vehicle anyway, Hyundai Tucson that could do any needed heavy lifting.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 08:59 PM   #5
sim_330e
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e Msport

Garage List
I’ve just bought a new 330e about 2 weeks ago and it’s been a good purchase.

I have been averaging 2.8 L / 100km which is amazing. Although the trunk space goes a bit smaller it hasn’t caused any inconveniences yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:00 PM   #6
HiFi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Hi OP
bought one recently - fantastic car to do exactly what you described.
- non daily communitng to work (or daily communitng if work is within 20kms one way)
- shuttling kids around local areas for sport/schooling etc
- ability to charge at home (office is a plus which makes the equation even better)

If thats the 90% of what you are doing, its a fantastic car, we do the above and barely use any fuel, and just drive in hybrid mode most of the time, with occassional sport too.

Boot space is a bit smaller but even a large grocieries shop and school bags etc all fits fine - driving vacations more than a weekend away is probably where you would have issue with space, but we only do that once a year, and you could always take another car for that, or roof box...

Honestly a no brainer for daily around town driving/communiting.