Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Dealer screwed up front license plate install

12-22-2022, 02:43 PM   #1
TheStoic
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i

Unhappy Dealer screwed up front license plate install

I'm pretty upset. After a 10 week wait for my custom M340i, I just took delivery of my car yesterday, and due to another customer's cancelation, was lucky enough to get an appointment today for PPF. Not long after I dropped my car off this morning, the installer sent me this picture.

I was close to the dealership when I found out, so I went there in person and eventually found someone to talk to. My sales guy wasn't there, and I didn't really like him that much anyways. I showed the picture to 3 guys and they all agreed it was totally unacceptable and they're not sure how that happened. They said it should have been reported and someone written up...

The dealer wants that 10/10 survey rating, but I told him my sales guy wasn't a "10" (I don't expect a true 10, but he wasn't even a 7 or 8. Maybe the sales guy was having a bad day). He asked if I could decline the survey if I don't want to answer "10s". I said probably, especially if this fix process goes okay.

This might be a stupid question, but how is this fixed? Can the holes be filled in or is it new parts?

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 04:30 PM   #2
LPTyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

I’m not a body shop expert, but I would guess you need two new panels.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 04:46 PM   #3
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

WTF is that SHIZ! Did they recently hire Stevie Wonder in their new car prep team? Clearly, the person who installed the front plate doesnt know what they are doing, and shame on that person again if it was kept a secret.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 05:17 PM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

It's plastic. If you want it perfect (which you should) they should order a new bumper and trim pieces and have it painted. It's a brand new car, and it should be the only thing you accept.
      12-22-2022, 05:38 PM   #5
rmedina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

I don't know how you did it, but I would have lost my **** if I was in your position. I would demand new panels. Sorry to hear about your situation. Hopefully everything will work out.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2022, 06:20 PM   #6
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW330e

I don't understand the timeline. This happened AFTER you took delivery? Or before, but the license plate covered it so you didn't notice it?

Regardless, that's unreal. I hope the dealer makes it right.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 07:36 PM   #7
G35TOG20
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G35, Tahoe, 22 M340 xdrive

Garage List
Congrats on the M340,
Man that sucks, if your dealer wants to make it right, you should ask for a brand new bumper.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 07:51 PM   #8
TheStoic
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTyler View Post
I’m not a body shop expert, but I would guess you need two new panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
WTF is that SHIZ! Did they recently hire Stevie Wonder in their new car prep team? Clearly, the person who installed the front plate doesnt know what they are doing, and shame on that person again if it was kept a secret.
@Stevie Wonder. Yea, hard to believe this is possible. And keeping it a secret....wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
It's plastic. If you want it perfect (which you should) they should order a new bumper and trim pieces and have it painted. It's a brand new car, and it should be the only thing you accept.
Yea, even with new parts I'm sad it's not factory paint. Repaints are never as durable, right? At least I'll put the PPF on it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedina View Post
I don't know how you did it, but I would have lost my **** if I was in your position. I would demand new panels. Sorry to hear about your situation. Hopefully everything will work out.
I almost did lose it, but I have to live up to my username.

He said he'll contact me on Monday or Tuesday, but he wasn't very assuring...I wish he would tell me today the solution. Or is it more complicated than that? Does he have to call other people and do a bunch of paperwork before he can tell me the official fix?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:02 PM   #9
TheStoic
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJon View Post
I don't understand the timeline. This happened AFTER you took delivery? Or before, but the license plate covered it so you didn't notice it?

Regardless, that's unreal. I hope the dealer makes it right.
This happened before delivery.

I had the dealership install the front license plate. I picked the car up yesterday. Today I dropped off the car to the PPF installer. PPF installer informed me of what was hiding behind the front plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35TOG20 View Post
Congrats on the M340,
Man that sucks, if your dealer wants to make it right, you should ask for a brand new bumper.
Thanks, it's such a sweet car! Perfect for me. So it looks like the panels will need to be replaced. Still, I'm not happy it won't be original factory paint. My mind is already telling me it's tarnished forever. I'm sure that idea will go away eventually.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:18 PM   #10
pdxdbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedina View Post
This. I would be absolutely livid.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:34 PM   #11
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep

If the dealer wants a 10:

- Immediately fire anyone who did this or covered it up.
- Purchase and paint the necessary pieces to make it right.
- Pay for the PPF (at your choice of installer) for the non-factory painted pieces.
- Provide a loaner while any work is being done.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 09:37 PM   #12
TheStoic
Private
Rep

Even if they replace the bumper, I still have a car with bodywork done on record and it’s not an original manufacture build. It won’t be worth as much. Should I not be compensated for that?

Would a brand new replacement car be out of the question?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 09:41 PM   #13
TheStoic
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJon View Post
If the dealer wants a 10:

- Immediately fire anyone who did this or covered it up.
- Purchase and paint the necessary pieces to make it right.
- Pay for the PPF (at your choice of installer) for the non-factory painted pieces.
- Provide a loaner while any work is being done.
Not sure about firing the person, but the rest makes sense.

If I don’t get a new car, I’m wondering if I should at least get some sort of rebate.
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2022, 10:16 PM   #14
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStoic View Post
Even if they replace the bumper, I still have a car with bodywork done on record and it’s not an original manufacture build. It won’t be worth as much. Should I not be compensated for that?

Would a brand new replacement car be out of the question?
A new car? That's a little much. A new bumper is what I'd be aiming for. There isn't going to be any diminished value since it's not going through insurance (no claim, no record). The bumper is plastic so even if you wanted to sell it later, nobody would know it was a new, repainted bumper. Plastic panels never match the same paint depth as the other panels and besides you said you would be getting ppf over it anyway.
      12-22-2022, 10:20 PM   #15
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not sure about firing the person, but the rest makes sense.

If I don’t get a new car, I’m wondering if I should at least get some sort of rebate.
Someone should be fired, so that they can’t do it again.

But you’re probably right, insomuch that it’s the dealer’s call, and not necessarily a reasonable customer demand.

A rebate or replacement vehicle may seem reasonable to you, except that you took delivery. I hope the dealer makes it right. I wonder if involving BMWNA would be helpful.

Please keep us posted on what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 12:43 PM   #16
///Medge
Private
Rep
Drives: Tbd

Well. You are going to have holes in the black plastic part with a front license plate unless you buy a ‘no-drill’ one.

Why the heck they drilled into the blue part of the bumper is really crazy and they should replace that (which is undoubtably the more expensive part).

Last edited by ///Medge; 12-23-2022 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #17
ergarza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 M Sport

Didn't read all the thread but to me this is a good reason to be a pain in the ass with the dealership until a brand new bumper be installed on my car
Appreciate 2
      12-26-2022, 10:46 AM   #18
KM340i
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
I'm pretty upset. After a 10 week wait for my custom M340i, I just took delivery of my car yesterday, and due to another customer's cancelation, was lucky enough to get an appointment today for PPF. Not long after I dropped my car off this morning, the installer sent me this picture.

I was close to the dealership when I found out, so I went there in person and eventually found someone to talk to. My sales guy wasn't there, and I didn't really like him that much anyways. I showed the picture to 3 guys and they all agreed it was totally unacceptable and they're not sure how that happened. They said it should have been reported and someone written up...

The dealer wants that 10/10 survey rating, but I told him my sales guy wasn't a "10" (I don't expect a true 10, but he wasn't even a 7 or 8. Maybe the sales guy was having a bad day). He asked if I could decline the survey if I don't want to answer "10s". I said probably, especially if this fix process goes okay.

This might be a stupid question, but how is this fixed? Can the holes be filled in or is it new parts?

This is outrageous and partly why my car still has no front plate on it. I am researching some of the no hole options and hopefully get something soon as I am in a front plate state. The photo is gruesome and I would request at least a whole new bumper out of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 12:26 PM   #19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

Quote:

I literally had this discussion with my car buddies yesterday. I just really don't get it. As a business owner myself, I treat people genuinely and the way they should be treated. I get these type of requests all the time by giving 10/10 reviews. I'm like if you treat people the way it should be then you don't need to do all kinds of "follow up" BS afterward. If you were treated poorly then you should do the survey with your honest opinion otherwise what's the point of the survey. The type of behavior is just stupid and that's why dealers all suck.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 12:22 AM   #20
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep

I’m not a big fan of anyone asking for a good rating on a survey. The survey is a tool to help you spot problems early on… before they become major. A good organization wants honest surveys so they can be better at what they do. Don’t tell me how important it is that I give you a “ten,” show me how important it is by the manner in which you serve the customer.
Appreciate 3
      01-09-2023, 03:32 PM   #21
dkulp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e

Garage List
2023 BMW 330e  [0.00]
I kind of feel my dealer screwed up my install as well, but I'm not really sure if its worth pursuing at this point. The issue is that they installed it about an inch off center. I haven't taken the plate off yet to see where the mounting screws are on the holder to see whether I can move it over an inch and have it cover the existing holes. Definitely careless.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 03:51 PM   #22
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
I kind of feel my dealer screwed up my install as well, but I'm not really sure if its worth pursuing at this point. The issue is that they installed it about an inch off center. I haven't taken the plate off yet to see where the mounting screws are on the holder to see whether I can move it over an inch and have it cover the existing holes. Definitely careless.
Definitely get them to fix that! I guess they asked the car wash kid to install the bracket.