Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics What's the proper way to using the parking assistance button?

09-18-2023, 11:27 PM   #1
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

What's the proper way to using the parking assistance button?

Me again with another newbie question...

Can somebody explain the proper way to use the parking assistant button? Also, why does this button have a green light on the button itself?

It seems like if I push it when parking in a parking spot it turns on the bird's eye view plus either the rear camera or front camera. I'm not sure what determines whether it shows the front or rear. Also, sometimes it seems to know that I'm pulling into my garage because I'll look down and the screen will already be in parking mode, but in most locations I have to manually press the button.

Also, for parallel parking do you just press the parking assistant button while you're driving down the street and it will sense cars to the side and know that you're looking for a spot? What do you do once it finds a spot to have it parallel park for you?

Same question for the "help you back out of a twisty spot" feature.
Appreciate 1
Fulqrum28.00
      09-19-2023, 12:07 AM   #2
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

I would have a look at BMW's channel on YouTube. They've got loads of videos of how features work and a lot better than what I could explain
Appreciate 1
k4sh_90539.00
      09-19-2023, 12:34 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

The parking assistant if it’s the same as theg3ci is that you drive into a location, engage reverse and the select parking assistant on screen, the car will then reverse the last 20 seconds or so that you drove. Ie it remembers the last car movements

I’ve only trie sit once to try it out

I’ve not tried parallel parking so cannot comment on that. I’m too fearful of scuffing wheels so park myself
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 01:14 AM   #4
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
I would have a look at BMW's channel on YouTube. They've got loads of videos of how features work and a lot better than what I could explain
Okay thanks, I'll check it out. I read the manual cover to cover but I probably learn better if I can see it in action.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 11:09 AM   #5
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

If it's the same as iDrive 7:
* Front/Rear camera depends on gear selection. (Same for panorama view).
* Automatic activation can be chosen and activates if close to an object. (Reverse gear always activate, ofcourse.
* Park button + Park assist activated, driving slow, 35kph, and max 1.5m, (check manual) from cars on the side you want to park will bleep when suitable(*) space found (either parallel or perpendicular). Press brake, accept parking spot and let the car do the rest.
* Reverse assistant memorizes steering input for the latest 50m when speed is max 36kph. The car only steers and you (often) need to apply break to not go more than 9kph (or it stops).
(*) suitable means tighter (0.8m longer or 0.7m wider than car), than I want to have other drivers close to my car, but it can be helpful if just picking up someone.
Appreciate 1
zlatko117.50