Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Waze takes over navigation when launched

09-19-2023, 12:33 PM   #1
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

Waze takes over navigation when launched

I like using BMW native maps for navigation as they give me best visual representation and are displayed in Instrument cluster and HUD. But I like to keep Waze running in background(and off screen) on Android Auto so I can have audio warnings for police/speed camera/hazards. This setup was working well for me past few months, but since 2-3 weeks when I launch Waze on AA it immediately takes over navigation functions and I can not have BMW native maps on main screen and HUD.
My setup is iDrive8(SW 03/2023.53) and Samsung Galaxy ZFlip 5. Is anyone else having similar experience? Any tips or hints?

PS. Google Maps works OK in background and I can use it simultaneously with BMW native maps.

Last edited by zlatko; 09-19-2023 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 03:20 PM   #2
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Sorry I can't help with your main question... I'm just curious if you find the BMW Nav to be better than Google Maps? I guess you do if you're using it. I'm wondering because I found the BMW Nav to be pretty bad compared to Apple Maps so now I only use Apple Maps rather than BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 06:49 PM   #3
ceevee
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Unfortunately I don't have Android. But I can report I don't have this issue with Waze on iOS 15. I also like to keep Waze active while using the BMW navigation.
Appreciate 1
zlatko117.50
      09-21-2023, 02:37 AM   #4
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep

EnlightenedOne - I think as a navigation accuracy/routing all 3 a pretty much the same. But I like the visual representation, UI and features of BMW native the most - I can use the iDrive controller to zoom, I can have constant zoom, there is HUD integration, etc.
I like to use map as "rally car co-pilot" letting me know what kind of turn comes next when driving on unfamiliar roads. That is why I hope BMW allow us to have constant map in HUD, not only when approaching a junction while navigating. Waze has the best warning features for police/accidents/hazards, although I was amazed to find that BMW RTTI and not Waze warned me for a bad accident in front and slowed down in time. So for me navigation is secondary to road visual representation and awareness.
ceevee - thank you for letting me know! Hope someone with Android Auto chimes in as well. I am not sure whether it AA or BMW or Waze issue
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 06:31 AM   #5
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I have not quite figured out the iDrive priority between BMW nav, Waze and Apple Maps. Most of the time when I hit the steering wheel button and ask for navigation it brings up BMW navigation (take me home, take me to xxx address, find nearest Home Depot etc.). However, about once a week it brings up CarPlay and Apple Navigation instead. Not a consistent pattern.

I would also have to sift through the iDrive menus, but I think there is an option to set the priority to either iDrive or CarPlay . I assumed this was for using voice commands, but maybe it shifts all comparable apps one way or the other.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 06:51 AM   #6
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep

Bc2005 - thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think there is a settings that will prevent(or enable) Waze to overtake the navigation functions. And it was not it behaved first few months. My iDrive SW was not updated, so there is no way a setting in iDrive had been changed. Anyway - I will double check just out of curiosity if I can find something in iDrive.

PS. I kinda found a workaround to this situation: after AA launches and Waze takes control over my navigation I have to start navigation via BMW maps. To do this I have to use the navigation icon on the left panel of infotainment screen, right above AA icon. This icon is the only way to BMW maps as the widget on screen shows "Route guidance via AA" and opens Waze, same goes for the "MAP" button next to iDrive controller. Once I start navigation via BMW maps, both the widget and IC show the native maps, Waze runs in background. I can stop native maps navigation now without Waze hijacking the screens. Every new trip I have to jump through those hoops again though...

Last edited by zlatko; 09-21-2023 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: additional info
Appreciate 0