Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals Mineral White M340i with M Performance Parts

06-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #89
kv12
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i E39, X2 F39, 330 G20

Love this spec!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 10:13 PM   #90
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Amazing.. They just need to take back two doors and throw in a manual option..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 12:41 AM   #91
delta-9-ginseng
OG Tray Deee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i & F36 435i

Car looks amazing! Nice spec
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 12:46 AM   #92
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Hubba hubba!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 12:57 AM   #93
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Love it. Love the Panda look too. Congrats on beautiful build. Would love it in my garage. Only thing I do not understand is how they can put official M color logo badge on a non M car. That's like putting an RS badge on non RS Audi. Or AMG on non AMG. Or an SS badge on a base Camaro, a Cobra snake on a base Mustang , SRT on a base Challenger.. etc, I could go on and on . Not one of those manufactures does that though. Why does BMW dilute an iconic top tier performance badge?
It isn't the same designation as an m-car. It's an m340i. Notice how the m precedes the full 3 series model number. In other words it's a 340i with some Motorsport "touches", but it wasn't fully developed by the Motorsport division. The m340i also has the same 3 series chassis code as the 330i, which is g20. The full m-cars are the m preceding a single number like m2, m3 etc, and they have their own unique chassis code like f80, g80, f90 etc.

The m340i, m240i, are more like the Audi S* models, not the RS* cars, or the c43 amg, not the c63 amg. The Audi RS cars or Mercedes c63 or e63 amp would be closer to the level of the bmw m* cars. Even then, the cost between those models is somewhat similar, but the brands have differing philosophies in regard to performance in their hard core sports sedan line up.
Ok I get it now... sort of. It still seems BMW overplays the iconic M logo badge though .
Given the M "performance"and M "sport" definitions you name one could then suggest (and accept) that Ford make a Cobra "performance" Mustang with the Cobra visual add-ons but not the 500 HP supercharged motor. Or Chrysler could market an SRT "sport" version... just throw a spoiler and splitter bits on it and some fancy SRT wheels. Or Chevrolet could produce an SS "super sport" Camaro . Their are several corvette version's but there is only one iconic Z06. Im ok with various trim levels or option choices on the build sheet, It just seems the top level hi performance car that BMW charges the "big bucks" for should be specific to that "special" badge. If not for bragging rights alone. If I did not know better , I would think the M340i MUST be faster , better, more exclusive and more expensive than a plain ol M3. Anyway, no big deal. It just doesn't make sense to me that BMW uses that iconic letter badge so freely.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 02:32 AM   #94
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Love it. Love the Panda look too. Congrats on beautiful build. Would love it in my garage. Only thing I do not understand is how they can put official M color logo badge on a non M car. That's like putting an RS badge on non RS Audi. Or AMG on non AMG. Or an SS badge on a base Camaro, a Cobra snake on a base Mustang , SRT on a base Challenger.. etc, I could go on and on . Not one of those manufactures does that though. Why does BMW dilute an iconic top tier performance badge?
It isn't the same designation as an m-car. It's an m340i. Notice how the m precedes the full 3 series model number. In other words it's a 340i with some Motorsport "touches", but it wasn't fully developed by the Motorsport division. The m340i also has the same 3 series chassis code as the 330i, which is g20. The full m-cars are the m preceding a single number like m2, m3 etc, and they have their own unique chassis code like f80, g80, f90 etc.

The m340i, m240i, are more like the Audi S* models, not the RS* cars, or the c43 amg, not the c63 amg. The Audi RS cars or Mercedes c63 or e63 amp would be closer to the level of the bmw m* cars. Even then, the cost between those models is somewhat similar, but the brands have differing philosophies in regard to performance in their hard core sports sedan line up.
Ok I get it now... sort of. It still seems BMW overplays the iconic M logo badge though .
Given the M "performance"and M "sport" definitions you name one could then suggest (and accept) that Ford make a Cobra "performance" Mustang with the Cobra visual add-ons but not the 500 HP supercharged motor. Or Chrysler could market an SRT "sport" version... just throw a spoiler and splitter bits on it and some fancy SRT wheels. Or Chevrolet could produce an SS "super sport" Camaro . Their are several corvette version's but there is only one iconic Z06. Im ok with various trim levels or option choices on the build sheet, It just seems the top level hi performance car that BMW charges the "big bucks" for should be specific to that "special" badge. If not for bragging rights alone. If I did not know better , I would think the M340i MUST be faster , better, more exclusive and more expensive than a plain ol M3. Anyway, no big deal. It just doesn't make sense to me that BMW uses that iconic letter badge so freely.
I hear you, bmw's marketing and model designations are a bit over complicated. They have four door coupes, coupe versions of SUVs, m-sport package, m-performance cars, true m-cars, and then several tiers of performance packages and variants within the real m models.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 03:25 AM   #95
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It seems like it should be the way you described but:

M8 > M850i
M5 > M550i
M3 > M340i

Etc.

Seems backwards lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 03:30 AM   #96
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSt View Post
Just took delivery. Extremely happy with this build.
Absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 06:07 AM   #97
Docalan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mercedes c450

Looks great. Just curious...which wheels are those?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #98
PayamFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP YMB

Looks good but kinda also looks like a Lexus not sure what Bmw was thinking..... especially with those rear taillights

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
2015 F82 M4 6MT AW/SO - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #99
Nick340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport (shadow edition)

I didn't like it when I first saw it, but after seeing one in the show room, it's growing on me.

That 340i looks great, congrats and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #100
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It seems like it should be the way you described but:

M8 > M850i
M5 > M550i
M3 > M340i

Etc.

Seems backwards lol.
I think they should be completely independent. For example, Porsche doesn't even use the carrera designation for their performance GT cars. There's no confusing a GT car from regular 911 trims.

BMW should be doing something similar to avoid diluting the significance of Motorsport.

So the letter M should be reserved for the actual M cars and the sportier base cars should have a different designation.

For example, 340i S or S340i or etc.

But congrats to OP. Car looks great!
      06-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #101
TrueToBMW
///M
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Why is the front grill closed like that? Do they open once the engine warms up and gets moving?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #102
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
I think they should be completely independent. For example, Porsche doesn't even use the carrera designation for their performance GT cars. There's no confusing a GT car from regular 911 trims.

BMW should be doing something similar to avoid diluting the significance of Motorsport.

So the letter M should be reserved for the actual M cars and the sportier base cars should have a different designation.

For example, 340i S or S340i or etc.
Putting myself in their shoes, I completely understand. The M name has solid brand equity in the automotive space. There is going to be an inherent desire to capitalize on that as much as possible.

Additionally, if you're asking your M division to contribute to building the highest performing non-M variant, why wouldn't you shine a light on this collaboration (no matter how minimal)?

When you consider that the negative opinions of using this brand more broadly probably doesn't result in any appreciable negative impact of true M sales; it's an easy and wise decision.
      06-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #103
figure99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 - ZCP

Stormtrooper BMW M340i M Performance Build

Congrats again to the OP. I think the car is a clean look overall.
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” -Mario Andretti
Appreciate 1
BimmerFix1356.50
      06-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #104
swalsh2333
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive4.0i

pretty sweet
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #105
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueToBMW View Post
Why is the front grill closed like that? Do they open once the engine warms up and gets moving?
yes
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #106
Steelers6891
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 330i MSport

Garage List
2014 335ix  [0.00]
Congrats! Looks great

2020 330i M Sport
2017 X4 M40i *Retired*
2014 F30 335i M Sport *Retired*
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 09:01 PM   #107
KoonerzF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3 yas marina;)

Nahh itzz aaiiteee
I cancelled my order for it
I just dont like the tail lights..
F80 was the BEST!! Lol
      06-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #108
Joro2819
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750LI

Lovely car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSt View Post
Just took delivery. Extremely happy with this build.
What a beautiful car, I would not change anything. I prefer the blacked out grill versus the silver.

As for the argument about M badging, its a M Performance spec car with M parts so it can have the M designation badging, that's what you payed for.

Also BMW were using L shaped tailights as far back as the 80's.
Appreciate 1
e30jim62.00
      06-02-2019, 11:14 PM   #109
wontonbomb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBD

Nice car and lovely mods!

Saw the new 3 series over the weekend, to be honest at first glance I thought it was an Acura TSX.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:30 AM   #110
backslashv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition

how can one customize the m340 with exterior options this has in the US?
Appreciate 0