Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) About Ceramic Coating - yay or nay?

08-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M340 2020

About Ceramic Coating - yay or nay?

I know there are likely other threads on this topic, however curious to get feedback from those who've had or are considering ceramic coating on their vehicle...

1. Does it really work?
2. Is it worth it?
3. What have you been quoted/What did you pay?
4. Advantages vs. disadvantages?

Not sure if it's worth doing - hoping to get some feedback/opinions...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Yes there are other threads. I think ceramic coating is great. First are you good at detailing? If you are there are many good ones out there. There are ones that last from a few months to about 2 years. How much do you want to spend? How much maintenance do want to do? Me personally I do it my self I used CQuartz 3.0 UK followed by Gliss. Both are CarPro products. First you must have a perfectly clean car and free of scratches or swirls. Polish then clay bar. Followed by a thorough 2 bucket wash. It's an all day thing. Getting this done by someone can cost $500 to $1000's depending on paint correction. Once done cleaning is much easier and so is maintaining the shine. Sorry if this is more info than you wanted
Appreciate 1
Wmzorba09325.50
      08-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #3
ParrotBro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-Series since 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Yes there are other threads. I think ceramic coating is great. First are you good at detailing? If you are there are many good ones out there. There are ones that last from a few months to about 2 years. How much do you want to spend? How much maintenance do want to do? Me personally I do it my self I used CQuartz 3.0 UK followed by Gliss. Both are CarPro products. First you must have a perfectly clean car and free of scratches or swirls. Polish then clay bar. Followed by a thorough 2 bucket wash. It's an all day thing. Getting this done by someone can cost $500 to $1000's depending on paint correction. Once done cleaning is much easier and so is maintaining the shine. Sorry if this is more info than you wanted
I don't have a garage. Is there a way to do this without getting dust particles? Not sure if it's possible to rent an enclosed area.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. Not something I'd feel comfortable doing myself, but your reply is still helpful given that I'm trying to determine whether ceramic coating is something worth spending money on doing.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBro View Post
Quote:
I don't have a garage. Is there a way to do this without getting dust particles? Not sure if it's possible to rent an enclosed area.
It would have to be a cloudy calm day . You could use a 4 posted tent as temporary garage? Most good car car products shouldn't be used in direct sunlight
Appreciate 1
Wmzorba09325.50
      08-21-2019, 06:21 AM   #6
mathys
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 - G01 - F56

I've had it on 2 cars and it is absolutely worth it. Maintenance is so much easier and the darker the colour, the more you will love it!

I paid 1250$.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Had it on my AW M3 and it did a great job of keeping water/dust residue off. The car still gets dirty but boy does it shine. Never had any issue with paint swirls (other than on the piano black trim). I paid about $600. Not sure if we will have it done with the M340i.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMV///M3 View Post
Had it on my AW M3 and it did a great job of keeping water/dust residue off. The car still gets dirty but boy does it shine. Never had any issue with paint swirls (other than on the piano black trim). I paid about $600. Not sure if we will have it done with the M340i.
$600 is a great price! You don't by any chance live in Houston? 😊
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
zapdos191
Thailand
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

IMO I do it myself but not a ceramic coat.

I wash then clay then AIO cleaner and top it with Silica spray. This method is easy and can be all done within 3-4 hours. Silica spray can be existed up to 6 month. When you notice that your car has some residue in your paint, you can clean it with your AIO cleaner.

PS. Sorry for my dirty wheels, not apply tire gel yet
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapdos191 View Post
IMO I do it myself but not a ceramic coat.

I wash then clay then AIO cleaner and top it with Silica spray. This method is easy and can be all done within 3-4 hours. Silica spray can be existed up to 6 month. When you notice that your car has some residue in your paint, you can clean it with your AIO cleaner.

PS. Sorry for my dirty wheels, not apply tire gel yet
Looks sharp!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

I received a quote $695 for IGL Quartz, 30k warranty. Anyone have experience with this application? Would anyone recommend something different?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #12
Jmatt07
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
You have that in reverse order lol. You want to 2 bucket wash, decontaminate, clay bar, polish, wipe down with ipa solution and then do the ceramic coating. There are lots of YouTube videos on it. Definitely need to have the paint as perfect as possible bc the ceramic coating will lock it all in. I was quoted $1000 by a shop to coat paint, windows, and all trim. I'm pretty lazy so I don't want to do all that work but I also dont want to pay $1000 either lol
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #13
Jmatt07
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmzorba09 View Post
I received a quote $695 for IGL Quartz, 30k warranty. Anyone have experience with this application? Would anyone recommend something different?
I've never heard of that particular coating, but more importantly find out if it's a reputable shop with good reviews from multiple people. I was quoted $1000 from a shop near me.
Appreciate 1
Wmzorba09325.50
      08-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #14
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatt07 View Post
Quote:
I've never heard of that particular coating, but more importantly find out if it's a reputable shop with good reviews from multiple people. I was quoted $1000 from a shop near me.
Thank you. The shop tells me they do much of the application training to other shops/individuals in the region, they don't have the most reviews but what they have are good and shop looks professional. I was told IGL Quartz is 9H, while Kenzo is 10H sand that Quartz lasts 2.5 to 3 years while Kenzo is expected to last twice as long. I have a 3 year lease so Quartz makes sense because I don't know whether I'll purchase the vehicle after 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #15
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatt07 View Post
Quote:
You have that in reverse order lol. You want to 2 bucket wash, decontaminate, clay bar, polish, wipe down with ipa solution and then do the ceramic coating. There are lots of YouTube videos on it. Definitely need to have the paint as perfect as possible bc the ceramic coating will lock it all in. I was quoted $1000 by a shop to coat paint, windows, and all trim. I'm pretty lazy so I don't want to do all that work but I also dont want to pay $1000 either lol
Sorry about the disorder
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #16
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

It's definitely worth it. I left my car for full ceramic coating treatment 10 days after delivery at a local detailing shop run by my friend who is an absolute detailing nutcase.
The product applied is Gyeon Q2 Duraflex that's expected to last for 5 years. All external surfaces were treated with appropriate ceramic coating. Windows, plastic trim, wheels, tyres.

My G20 is Alpine White so it cannot gain depth like darker paints but it shines like a diamond and stays clean way longer than an untreated car. It's hydrophobic as hell and in order to wash the car I just need to get it wet with water and gently wipe it with a soft washing-glove. Didn't need to use soap or detergent yet. Not even after a 500 kilometers of highway driving. Bugs yust wipe off with water if you wash them within a couple of days. I'm extremely happy with the results.

Another thing to note about ceramic coating: it gets the surface of your paint up to 3 times harder, which makes it literally completely resistant to low intensity mechanical damages like scratches or swirls.

Last edited by Calamari; 08-22-2019 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
Wmzorba09325.50
      08-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #17
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
It's definitely worth it. I left my car for full ceramic coating treatment 10 days after delivery at a local detailing shop run by my friend who is an absolute detailing nutcase.
The product applied is Gyeon Q2 Duraflex that's expected to last for 5 years. All external surfaces were treated with appropriate ceramic coating. Windows, plastic trim, wheels, tyres.

My G20 is Alpine White so it can't get debth, but it shines like a diamond, it stays clean way longer, it's hydrophobic as hell and washing it comes down to getting it wet with water and then gently wiping with a soft washing-gove. I'm extremely happy with the results.

Another thing to note about ceramic coating: it gets the surface of your paint up to 3 times harder, which makes it literally completely resistant to low intensity mechanical damages like scratches or swirls.
Gyeon Q2 Duraflex ... do you know the hardness level? 9H? 10H?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #18
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If I remember correctly, the spec said 9H. Factory paint was claimed to be rated at 3H.
Appreciate 1
Wmzorba09325.50
      08-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #19
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If I remember correctly, the spec said 9H. Factory paint was claimed to be rated at 3H.
Thank you. Most helpful
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 04:01 PM   #20
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. Most helpful
You're welcome.

Here's a couple of pics (didn't have the time to get some better ones)

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #21
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you. Most helpful
You're welcome.

Here's a couple of pics (didn't have the time to get some better ones)

Looks sharp. Looking forward to getting mine done next week. Just wish there were some people on this forum who were familiar with the application I plan on getting.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #22
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

My G20 was done with Gyeon synchro 3 layers. When the detailer opened the garage I saw my car brand brand brand new. Actually much more shiny then when I picked it up from the dealer. Costed me 1300€, but would do it again with no doubt! Bugs and dirt do not stick to the paint and it is so easy to keep the car clean.
Appreciate 0