Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Steering Wheel trim Lose?

01-30-2024, 04:11 AM   #1
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Steering Wheel trim Lose?

Hey folks,

So I've had this issue with my 2021 car since I got it September, but It took me a while to figure it out. In the winter this is a non issue really, but in the summer months, the steering wheel creaks when any forward pressure is placed on the wheel using the palm of the hands, left hand or right hand.

The silver trim seems to be firmly attached around the points marked in green, but it feels like the adhesive or whatever holds the trim in place around where the airbag fits, marked in red, the trim feels lose and "squidgy"

I'd like to have this looked at before the Manufactures warranty runs out in March.

I'm just wondering is anybody else has had this issue? Excuse the very crude "artwork", trying to draw with a mouse is a right PITA. LOL!
Attached Images

Last edited by The_Tok'Ra; 01-30-2024 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 10:49 AM   #2
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

If its any consolation, mine is exactly the same. Creaks around the top of the trim, especially on the "corners".
Although with all the other creaks and rattles around the car it's probably the least annoying so no intention of doing anything about it.
      01-30-2024, 12:02 PM   #3
MikeKent
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Mine also did this from new. It was really annoying.
Dealer wanted car for 2 days to try to fix it, however they didn’t really seem to fully understand what the issue was.
So I fixed it myself before it drove me insane.
If you gently prise the top part of the silver trim away from the steering wheel as far as you can, then insert a small piece of padding into the very small gap, it solves the issue. I used a trimmed down thin shoe lace!
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2024, 01:27 PM   #4
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

I phoned the dealer today and spoke to their service department about it. spoke to the same young lady that quoted me £10 more than the on-line price for a brake fluid change.

Anyway, since the car is going in for the brake fluid change before the end of February (and it's first MOT) They said they would have a look at it while they had it, and if they deam that it should be fixed under warranty, they will fix it under warranty, and if not, I'd need to pay for the repair or live with it.

I should note that my local BMW dealer are well known for their piss poor customer service, so I'm not expecting much, but hoping they will see an opportunity to get some more money out of BMW UK for carrying out the work.

If they don't fix it under warranty, I'll likely look at fixing it myself. There are videos on YT on how to repace the trim on a G20/G21 steering wheel.

There are cloth type tapes that are available for damping vibrations and rubbing plastics just like this, I'm sure I have a roll kicking arounnd somewhere, I may try just squeezing a strip of tape in there first though.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 07:03 AM   #5
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Just an update to this thread.

Had the car in for it's first MOT and a brake fluid change, and while it was in I asked them to have a look at the steering wheel trim as that's causing the creaking as in this video below.

At first they were not that keen, said they could not find a issue but it only occurs when it's a bit warmer, so no wonder!

Anyway, I spoke to the service manager again and showed him the video and that triggered something in his memory as he then recognised what I was talking about.

There is a thread on the US forum that talks about this issue. Apparently, in the US at least thre is a SA (Service Advisory?) about this creaking issue.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...steering+wheel

Nobody else have this creaking steering wheel problem?

Last edited by The_Tok'Ra; 02-24-2024 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 10:23 AM   #6
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

I wonder if these clips around the top back of the silver trim panel are broken on my car, or if it's just a poorly fitting part? Edit:- Umm, the time stamp has been removed. but it's around the 12:50 mark.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 05:46 AM   #7
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Just to close off this thread, I had the car in about 3 weeks ago for the creaking steering wheel issue, and they decided at that point that the silver facia trim on the wheel was needing replaced, but it was not available from stock, so they'd have to order it in.

I booked the car in for the 1st of April, and I'm happy to report that now that they replaced the seemingly damaged steering wheel facia trim the issue is now resolved, and thankfully still under Manufacturers warranty.
Appreciate 0