Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes H&R Sport Springs on G20 330i xDrive Review

04-09-2020, 04:56 AM   #1
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
This review is long overdue, since I've been running this setup for well over a month now. The H&R sport springs have set in and everything runs great.

Let me elaborate.. So a little over a month ago I finally got these springs installed ever since I ordered them during Christmas. Since then I've driven about 4000km on them and the ride quality difference over stock is huge. I never expected them to be better in terms of ride quality or anything but so far it's been very good. On stock suspension, since my car is configured with adaptive M suspension, it actually compliments the different modes, to a certain extent. It rides much better in Sport, and it feels like a whole different car doing anything past 160 in Sport+ compared to stock springs setup. Because the car is lower, you don't feel as much wind lifting up your car, and also the springs really help smooth out a lot of the big bumps that are on the road. You feel a lot more stuck to the ground. It's honestly a really good option if you have xDrive and you have adaptive M suspension. I used to bottom out a lot because I have a M performance lip installed, but since I've gotten the springs, it helped my car stop bottoming out as easy, there's less flex when you're going up or down a big ramp, honestly don't know how it all works but I haven't been scraping at spots I would normally scrape when I was on stock suspension. The other thing is that when you go over potholes, they don't make a loud thud anymore as if there's metal to metal contact when your wheels hit the pothole, also you feel like the bottom of your car hit the road. Now it kinda just rolls over, you feel it but it recovers really quick. The rebound rate is super fast, another huge improvement over stock springs. In comfort, the smoothness is still there, however, sometimes the ride feels a little wavy and bouncy on uneven roads. In Comfort+, it feels better with the springs and honestly compliments this mode very well. Adaptive feels great. The adaptive suspension does a good job trying to adapt to the H&R springs. Sport+ is still where it's at for me tbh, it rides so good and the rebound rate is very nice, it's a little rough but I feel so much more well connected with the road, there's more feedback, just enough to make the experience ever so slightly better. Even though it's a small difference, it's a difference regardless, and you definitely feel more connected to the road with these springs.

Anyhow that's my review of the H&R sport springs. Would I recommend them? I definitely would, it's a great investment for $250, the difference in some aspects is drastic. For instance in terms of speed, I did 200+ top speed on this car, it's unbelievable, with my stock springs I was scared to do anything over 160, anything higher than that felt very wavy and I didn't feel confident going any higher than 170. I drive my car a lot and I know the limits, I used to drive an X3 and that thing was stock, it did over 210 very easy, stock everything. It was a heavier car so I guess that's why even at high speeds it felt very comfortable. It had the N20 motor, yet it could pull to 210 with ease, and sustain it for over 15 minutes. I have yet to do that in this car, don't think I ever will, but it's good to know that my car can finally reach 200+ speeds and not feel like I'm going to lose control. I did 4-5 pulls reaching 200+ on the highway and it feels unbelievably smooth. I definitely recommend these springs if you're looking to take your 330i to new speeds. Even stock power, with these springs, you'll definitely benefit from the lowered ride height. It's a significant upgrade if you want to push your car past 200 comfortably and not feel stressed while you're going that speed. When you're going that speed, these springs help to smooth out the ride a lot. If you don't believe me then try it, and tell me what you think afterwards.

Thanks for reading!
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      04-09-2020, 06:36 AM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Nice review! How much did they lower your car vs stock? Did you get an alignment after using stock specs?

Also I'm in Ontario as well...you got these for $250 CAD or USD? Where from?
      04-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #3
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Nice review! How much did they lower your car vs stock? Did you get an alignment after using stock specs?

Whoops, completely forgot about the ride height, major part about the springs.

The car is lower about an inch front and rear. I already had adaptive M suspension so that was already lower than non-adaptive 330i's from factory, so the difference wasn't massive. It is a difference regardless though because I notice it when I look at the roof of my car. It's much lower now and I can almost reach the other side of the car from the top, before it was difficult to even reach the middle of the roof.

But honestly from a ride quality standpoint, the car doesn't feel lower at all. You get used to it pretty quick, even after you notice the slight difference from putting more km's on the car. Because the springs compression is less than stock springs, the ride height doesn't change as much while the car is moving over big bumps. It feels more rigid, and it rebounds quicker, and absorbs bumps better. All I'm saying is that it's lower but the ride quality is much better, so it's actually an improvement. If you take big ramps at a 45 degrees angle and go slowly, you definitely won't scrape. It looks lower for sure, but it's not immediately noticeable. It definitely makes a difference appearance wise, makes the fitment look a whole lot better.

Now I'm also looking at a set of rear camber kit for my car made by Hardrace. Heard their quality is pretty good and they specialize in making parts for the Gxx/A90 Supra platform. With the rear camber kit I can probably adjust for a bit more negative camber for a bit better appearance, also maybe help more with sharp turns. I really want to know if these are worth the investment. I want to keep stock suspension for the most part because I think it's pretty decent. The adaptive M suspension does the job well and it's well tuned for this platform, and maybe just making small tweaks to the stock suspension will be enough to make it run just that much better and also improve the stance of the rear.

Anyway I got a little carried away there, but yeah. Ride height is nice right now, wouldn't go any lower. I have TommyLGarage custom mud flaps and at the front they are 3cm above the ground which is almost nothing. My front bumper is maybe 4-6cm from the floor and that is the borderline ride-height if you still want drivability. It looks decent with this setup if what you care about is appearance. I would want more negative camber, would definitely be nice.

Regarding the alignment question: I had to do an alignment after because it changed a lot. It hasn't changed since, I thought it would after 4000km but it hasn't really changed much. My alignment right now is still 100% straight.
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1936.50
pdxdbo331.00
      04-09-2020, 10:55 PM   #4
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

I got them from ECS Tuning, for around $300CAD with shipping included. These are the H&R Sport Springs for BMW G20 330i xDrive w/ Adaptive M Suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 07:31 AM   #5
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Cool thanks! Too bad they don't have anything for M340i yet. I have adaptive on my M340i and you mentioned that the 330i with the M Adaptive suspension is lower than the fixed M suspension...where did you get this info? I was under the impression that all "M" suspension models (regardless of 330i, M340i, RWD, AWD, fixed M suspension, or m adaptive suspension) were all the same ride height.
g20beam467.50
      04-10-2020, 11:41 PM   #6
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Cool thanks! Too bad they don't have anything for M340i yet. I have adaptive on my M340i and you mentioned that the 330i with the M Adaptive suspension is lower than the fixed M suspension...where did you get this info? I was under the impression that all "M" suspension models (regardless of 330i, M340i, RWD, AWD, fixed M suspension, or m adaptive suspension) were all the same ride height.
The sport line suspension sits higher than the M suspension as well as the adaptive M suspension. Yeah it's weird how springs still haven't come out for M340i yet, wonder why.
Appreciate 0