Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Mirrors don't auto-fold anymore

04-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #23
Dilbert42
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert42 View Post
I tried a few things. In the comfort access settings I unchecked the unlock when approaching and lock when leaving. That unchecked the fold mirrors when locked.

I then rechecked the lock/unlock when approaching/leaving and rechecked the fold mirrors when locked. It has now sorted itself out and works again! And I didn’t need to factory reset! Yay! 😁
I spoke too soon 🙁
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 01:20 PM   #24
DawnRacer
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M-Sport

My mirrors stopped folding yesterday as well. Then I discovered that the driver side door switches were dead. Nothing works except the door lock buttons. Booked time at local service centre for next week - and get this my American friends - In this country they are not legally obliged to provide you with a loaner car for warranty repairs. You'd think BMW network might do it anyway considering they seem very anxious about providing their customers with 'a premium experience', but no:
They suggested I either rent a car from their conveniently placed in-house car rental or get public transport!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #25
robertpetrea23
Rep
Drives: 330xi G20

Same thing happened to me. Clues?

Quote:
I spoke too soon 🙁

Same thing happened to me. It was out of the blue, I didn’t even go through the Valet Parking or anything. If you do re-toggle it like you said, it only remembers it for a short period, let’s say 5 minutes or so. If you go inside the house for a few hours it will revert to not folding again upon unlock/lock. Did you find out what’s causing it or a fix? I’m not really able to go to the dealer yet and I don’t want to do a factory reset so any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #26
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpetrea23 View Post
Same thing happened to me. It was out of the blue, I didn’t even go through the Valet Parking or anything. If you do re-toggle it like you said, it only remembers it for a short period, let’s say 5 minutes or so. If you go inside the house for a few hours it will revert to not folding again upon unlock/lock. Did you find out what’s causing it or a fix? I’m not really able to go to the dealer yet and I don’t want to do a factory reset so any advice would be appreciated.
I had a similar issue in where it would work then next time it wouldn’t. I have since charged my battery (due to not using the car much) and the mirrors now work every time.

Maybe worth trying a charge?

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #27
robertpetrea23
Rep
Drives: 330xi G20

[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
I had a similar issue in where it would work then next time it wouldn't. I have since charged my battery (due to not using the car much) and the mirrors now work every time.

Maybe worth trying a charge?
I don't think that's the case with mine, I kind of use it daily (yes, even during this shitty period). I'm worried it's some sort of software glitch or anything that would require replacing of an electrical module. In the past I even had a problem with the passenger-side mirror where it completely failed and it required changing and I'm kind of "traumatized" with problems with a car this new, but this doesn't seem anything like that, since every other function works just fine. I wonder if it's a problem with the Comfort Access, since unchecking that, also unchecks the mirror folding? Anyone have any thoughts about what it might be? I'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow anyway, just in case.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:06 AM   #28
Bimmer_73NL
Rep
Drives: F30 320i, G21 330i xDrive

Searching the net came across this post.

My G21 330i xDrive EU spec. from Feb. 2020 also stopped folding the mirrors automatically out of the blue. Seems this is a generic issue.

The automatic mirror folding stopped working when closing the car with the key or using the comfort access buttons on any of the door handles.
But it does not seem a mechanical issue: The mirrors still fold using the knob on the drivers side, they also fold when locking the car with the lock button on the tailgate and they do fold when you press and hold the key for multiple seconds (the option that normally would close also your windows, roof, etc.).

Like described by others I too got it working once only when unchecking the option in iDrive, lock the car, open the car, check option again. So to me this seems a software issue. At least in my case. I booked it for a trip to the dealer to have it sorted out.

Anyone else any news/ solution about this or that this is a known issue to BMW?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:36 AM   #29
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_73NL View Post

My G21 330i xDrive EU spec. from Feb. 2020 also stopped folding the mirrors automatically out of the blue. Seems this is a generic issue.

The automatic mirror folding stopped working when closing the car with the key or using the comfort access buttons on any of the door handles.
But it does not seem a mechanical issue: The mirrors still fold using the knob on the drivers side, they also fold when locking the car with the lock button on the tailgate and they do fold when you press and hold the key for multiple seconds (the option that normally would close also your windows, roof, etc.).

Like described by others I too got it working once only when unchecking the option in iDrive, lock the car, open the car, check option again. So to me this seems a software issue. At least in my case. I booked it for a trip to the dealer to have it sorted out.

I refer to my post #26 above. I had all the issues you describe and was pulling my hair out (metaphorically) with frustration.

Since I got the low battery warning and charged the battery all has worked as it did originally and has now been ok for the past two weeks, although not using the car much due to ‘covid’.

Given my experience I think it is worth a try to charge the battery.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #30
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
Mine has just started doing this in the last week, haven't had the low battery warning yet but I've ordered a charge to see if that works before any further action.

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 07:06 AM   #31
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:

Do a factory reset, that fixed it for me and haven't had the issue since then. This was on 11/2019 software.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:51 AM   #32
Bimmer_73NL
Rep

The dealer reinitialised / reset the iDrive about a week ago and it is working again. They not mentioned anything about the battery being too low.
I checked and saw they did update the iDrive software to 03.2020.40

The car hasn't been used a lot due to Covid-19 restrictions. We'll see how it is in a few weeks time. But so far so good!

Last edited by Bimmer_73NL; 05-25-2020 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Added software version update.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 07:03 AM   #33
Tyrone47
Rep
Drives: G20 330e Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnRacer View Post
My mirrors stopped folding yesterday as well. Then I discovered that the driver side door switches were dead. Nothing works except the door lock buttons. Booked time at local service centre for next week - and get this my American friends - In this country they are not legally obliged to provide you with a loaner car for warranty repairs. You'd think BMW network might do it anyway considering they seem very anxious about providing their customers with 'a premium experience', but no:
They suggested I either rent a car from their conveniently placed in-house car rental or get public transport!
Did you get any resolution on this problem? Mine has done exactly the same, drivers door control panel dead, only lock button and thankfully refuelling button still operate
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #34
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
The dealer reinitialised / reset the iDrive about a week ago and it is working again. They not mentioned anything about the battery being too low.

The car hasn't been used a lot due to Covid-19 restrictions. We'll see how it is in a few weeks time. But so far so good!
Nearly every day I find an excuse to go to the grocery store which we are allowed to do, just to drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #35
Lfk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series G20

Mine stopped folding in after I changed the setting once. It basically started to ignore the setting, or the box would just go back to unticked after a while. I did a software reset and that fixed it. It seems to also have fixed another issue where comfort access system would randomly stop locking the doors when I left the car and it would come back after either I locked manually or opened and closed the boot! The latter I couldn't reproduce at the dealership and they had no idea what might be wrong. Really hoping it doesn't come back.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:44 AM   #36
Bimmer_73NL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Nearly every day I find an excuse to go to the grocery store which we are allowed to do, just to drive the car.
Our grocery stores are pretty nearby so without a detour it would mean too many short rides that would not get the engine and fluids warm. Plus, we are lucky to have a F31 as well that wants to go out now and than

But don't worry. We take the G21 out often enough as it puts a smile every time we drive So far everything seems to work fine, incl. the auto-mirror folding.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      05-18-2020, 04:47 AM   #37
Bimmer_73NL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfk View Post
Mine stopped folding in after I changed the setting once. It basically started to ignore the setting, or the box would just go back to unticked after a while. I did a software reset and that fixed it. It seems to also have fixed another issue where comfort access system would randomly stop locking the doors when I left the car and it would come back after either I locked manually or opened and closed the boot! The latter I couldn't reproduce at the dealership and they had no idea what might be wrong. Really hoping it doesn't come back.
I am with you. It seems a software issue in our case, as mechanically everything works. Contrary others here that report the mirrors don't fold at all.
Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:33 AM   #38
DawnRacer
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone47 View Post
Quote:
Did you get any resolution on this problem? Mine has done exactly the same, drivers door control panel dead, only lock button and thankfully refuelling button still operate
I did!

It was a faulty component in the driver side mirror that caused it. Apparently it was water damage which I thought sounded worrying. I did wash the car with pressure washer just before it happened. You would hope the car is built well enough to not break down when you wash it...

They fixed it in 24 hours on warranty anyway. I've only washed the car twice since then but so far no issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #39
Mazman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: slow

mine stopped working on the 3rd day. They have since replaced the electronics in both and all seem good.

However the mirror cap on the driver side has not been installed properly though
      05-25-2020, 05:45 AM   #40
Tyrone47
Rep
Drives: G20 330e Mineral Grey

Quote:
I did!

It was a faulty component in the driver side mirror that caused it. Apparently it was water damage which I thought sounded worrying. I did wash the car with pressure washer just before it happened. You would hope the car is built well enough to not break down when you wash it...

They fixed it in 24 hours on warranty anyway. I've only washed the car twice since then but so far no issues.
Sounds like they have identified the fault. I’m waiting for my local BMW to reopen so I can get this resolved. Thanks for the update
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #41
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
Mine is back and working, took 12 hours to fully re charge the battery and a soft re-set

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #42
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post

While I have been working and driving my car daily to the office throughout this pandemic. If I was stuck at home like some, there's no way I would let my car stay parked when I am still making the monthly payments. I would hop in and drive a few days a week regardless.

Ps. Oh yes, no folding mirror issues, car has almost 10k miles thus far, early build(May 2019) too with July idrive software.
      06-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #43
Dilbert42
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Quote:
Quote:
I spoke too soon 🙁

Quote:
Quote:
I spoke too soon 🙁

Same thing happened to me. It was out of the blue, I didn't even go through the Valet Parking or anything. If you do re-toggle it like you said, it only remembers it for a short period, let's say 5 minutes or so. If you go inside the house for a few hours it will revert to not folding again upon unlock/lock. Did you find out what's causing it or a fix? I'm not really able to go to the dealer yet and I don't want to do a factory reset so any advice would be appreciated.
I did a factory reset, and it's now been working since then. I've not gone near the valet parking settings though. Not ideal I must admit.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #44
DravitG21
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (G21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
I have this strange issue where when I lock my car, the mirrors don't fold anymore.

If I go to settings, the fold option is checked. If I un-check it and check it again, next time I lock the car, the mirrors DO fold.
However subsequently it fails again.

Its as if the car is not remembering the setting.

I tried rebooting the iDrive system, when it came back up, the fold mirrors option was unchecked (it was checked before the reboot). But even if I checked it, the mirrors folded once successfully but then stopped on subsequent locks.

I think the issue started happening since I used the Valet mode feature once.

Anyone experienced this issue before?

I might try a factory reset but its a bit of a hassle.
Exact the same issue with my mirrors. Went to the dealer and they changed the complete left mirror interior. Week later the same issue with the right mirror. Everything solved under warranty.
Appreciate 0