Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions New to the forum and incoming 330e

05-26-2020, 02:28 AM   #1
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

New to the forum and incoming 330e

Morning all,

New to the forum ahead of my 330e arriving in 2 weeks.

M Sport in Mineral Grey with privacy glass.

I'm running it as a company car and it's replacing my Mk7.5 GTI Performance (sorry for the picture on a BM forum!).

Made the decision based on a mixture of what the car gets used for and the BIK benefit. Lots of local trips and the office is 5 miles from home (when we move in June/July). I'm able to choose a car myself and my company pays the lease and decided the 330e ticks a lot of boxes.

I do however like to drive properly and living on the edge of the Peaks, the GTI has been a fantastic car to run for 2 years and more than capable of keeping up with far more expensive stuff.

Now I'm not expecting the 330e to sound or drive like a hot hatch as I know its hybrid and not a sports car! I've got limited BMW experience in the past. I have had access to use an M4 Comp and new M3 for a week or two and also ran a 116d () for a year as a company car in a new job some years ago. But I know that all BM's are very well balanced and great handling cars so I'm genuinely looking forward to getting the new car plus lots of tech to keep me entertained.

As we are currently stuck in a rental apartment with not great ability to charge, what do others use for making use of the available charging points? I'd like to be able to get some charge on it during the first few months if possible. With it being a lease, not sure who will be delivering it and how much info I will get.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:32 AM   #2
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i4 e40, i3 60Ah, G20 330e

I think that to really get all the benefits of a hybrid you have to be able to charge daily.
I guess tax benefits are there anyway but to really get the most of it then charging either at work or at home is the way to go. The onboard charger is only capable of charging at 3.7kW so that means that it will take around 3 hours when charging at 16A, even longer if you don't have a wallbox.
I am able to charge at home and I rarely use the ICE on normal weekdays.
I'm averaging somwehere around 1.1 to 1.5 l /100km and the last tank of petrol took me almost 3000km. Coming from a diesel the fuel economy isn't that great after you have drained the battery, around 6.5 - 7l/100km on longer distances. Can't really say anything about fuel consumption in the city since I always use the battery then.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovesund View Post
I think that to really get all the benefits of a hybrid you have to be able to charge daily.
I guess tax benefits are there anyway but to really get the most of it then charging either at work or at home is the way to go. The onboard charger is only capable of charging at 3.7kW so that means that it will take around 3 hours when charging at 16A, even longer if you don't have a wallbox.
I am able to charge at home and I rarely use the ICE on normal weekdays.
I'm averaging somwehere around 1.1 to 1.5 l /100km and the last tank of petrol took me almost 3000km. Coming from a diesel the fuel economy isn't that great after you have drained the battery, around 6.5 - 7l/100km on longer distances. Can't really say anything about fuel consumption in the city since I always use the battery then.
Thanks for the info! Once we move to our new house I will be able to charge every night and may consider a wallbox charger as well.

Do all owners tend to use the BMW Charge Now service?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Welcome

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
joselrl
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_330e View Post
Thanks for the info! Once we move to our new house I will be able to charge every night and may consider a wallbox charger as well.

Do all owners tend to use the BMW Charge Now service?
I use Chargenow because most public chargers in Portugal are free, and outside of those Chargenow is providing the best prices for now, but from what I've heard in the UK there are multiple apps that you may need to register to use public charging points (in Portugal a RFID card works everywhere paid or free), so I suggest doing a little bit of research about that and what is more abundant in your area
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:06 AM   #6
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Welcome
Thanks Mike!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:07 AM   #7
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joselrl View Post
I use Chargenow because most public chargers in Portugal are free, and outside of those Chargenow is providing the best prices for now, but from what I've heard in the UK there are multiple apps that you may need to register to use public charging points (in Portugal a RFID card works everywhere paid or free), so I suggest doing a little bit of research about that and what is more abundant in your area
Thanks for the info, will do a bit of research to see what's best.
Appreciate 0