Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK G20 outdoor cover

05-04-2020, 06:59 AM   #1
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

G20 outdoor cover

Any recommendations?

My garage is out of commission for the foreseeable future and my black G20 looks clean for at least five minutes after washing it when left outside.

This looks favourite at the moment

https://www.carcoversfactory.co.uk/c...tion-car-cover
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Have had these before for my TTS and X5, from a company called Coveryourcar (had a place in Sompting). For the TTS the first one was wrongly made and they replaced it. To be honest the fit was never great.
Did do what it was meant to mind and kept the car looking pristine when left for some time. I never used the X5 one too unwieldy Im afraid.

If you intend putting it on and removing it regularly it begins to become a bit of faff.

As I say good protection though and no paint scratching with the soft inner
Appreciate 1
ewanmac188.50
      05-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

I've just ordered one from the company in that link for my X5 after seeing this thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 07:39 AM   #4
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
Any recommendations?

My garage is out of commission for the foreseeable future and my black G20 looks clean for at least five minutes after washing it when left outside.

This looks favourite at the moment

https://www.carcoversfactory.co.uk/c...tion-car-cover
"10% off today only" for the last week or so.

Finally got round to ordering today, will report back in due course...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 35i G20 m340

No cover is better.
Wind blows them. Causes scratching, dust and dirt on the paint will also scratch It during install and removal. It's 100% impossible to use a cover inside or outside without Introducing some form of damage to the finish.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just for the record.....although the above site is .co.uk the cover I have ordered is being dispatched from Texas!!

And I checked using the chat facility on the .co.uk site that they had the cover in stock.

Not impressed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:35 AM   #7
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Just for the record.....although the above site is .co.uk the cover I have ordered is being dispatched from Texas!!

And I checked using the chat facility on the .co.uk site that they had the cover in stock.

Not impressed.
How much longer are you going to have to wait for it & are you being charged the same amount?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #8
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

The company coveryourcar have a facility local to you. I know, went to pick a replacement up from their warehouse in Sompting. So can vouch for it being a UK company. Maybe worth a call to see if they do one for the G20 series even though they do not list one currently.

Now if you needed one for an F15 X5, I have a brand new one unused
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      05-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #9
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
How much longer are you going to have to wait for it & are you being charged the same amount?
I currently believe delivery will be within the timeframe quoted on the website (with the best will in the world it's likely to Be a bit flakey at the moment) but as of now according to FedEx they have yet to receive the parcel.

I know it's a bit hypocritical for someone who has a new bmw but the carbon footprint of sending this item from Texas does not impress me.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 07:06 AM   #10
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I currently believe delivery will be within the timeframe quoted on the website (with the best will in the world it's likely to Be a bit flakey at the moment) but as of now according to FedEx they have yet to receive the parcel.

I know it's a bit hypocritical for someone who has a new bmw but the carbon footprint of sending this item from Texas does not impress me.
I ordered a cover for my X5 from this company after seeing your thread. I too didn't realise it was being sent from Texas until I subsequently saw the online tracker from FedEx.

Timeline goes like this:
  • I placed my order at 1300 on Monday 4th May, and I DIDN'T go for the "express delivery" option, so it said it would be delivered on Thursday 7th May.
  • Twelve hours after my order was placed (so the early hours of Tuesday morning), I received an email from FedEx saying my parcel has been collected and will be delivered on Thursday 7th May.
  • At 0815 on the Wednesday morning I received an email saying my parcel "will be delivered today".
  • 20 minutes later at 0835, the parcel was delivered to my dad's house in Yorkshire.

I thought it was quite amazing how fast it had been delivered. 43 hours from Texas to my door without paying for express delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I ordered a cover for my X5 from this company after seeing your thread. I too didn't realise it was being sent from Texas until I subsequently saw the online tracker from FedEx.

Timeline goes like this:
  • I placed my order at 1300 on Monday 4th May, and I DIDN'T go for the "express delivery" option, so it said it would be delivered on Thursday 7th May.
  • Twelve hours after my order was placed (so the early hours of Tuesday morning), I received an email from FedEx saying my parcel has been collected and will be delivered on Thursday 7th May.
  • At 0815 on the Wednesday morning I received an email saying my parcel "will be delivered today".
  • 20 minutes later at 0835, the parcel was delivered to my dad's house in Yorkshire.

I thought it was quite amazing how fast it had been delivered. 43 hours from Texas to my door without paying for express delivery.
Coincidentally mine arrived about an hour ago from Teaxas - it was only with FedEx on Monday night our time.

Still not happy that the item came from Texas though - hardly an environmentally friendly business.

And yes, I know having a new BMW is hardly environmentally friendly either!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #12
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Coincidentally mine arrived about an hour ago from Teaxas - it was only with FedEx on Monday night our time.

Still not happy that the item came from Texas though - hardly an environmentally friendly business.

And yes, I know having a new BMW is hardly environmentally friendly either!!
That's a fair enough point on the carbon front. One way to feel less guilty about it is just remember that at least said item was not on a plane by itself.

How is the cover quality wise and any shots on car?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #13
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
That's a fair enough point on the carbon front. One way to feel less guilty about it is just remember that at least said item was not on a plane by itself.

How is the cover quality wise and any shots on car?
Still in the box....I'll get it out when I wash the car.....maybe tomorrow.....
Appreciate 1
OM3RTA391.00
      05-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #14
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Still in the box....I'll get it out when I wash the car.....maybe tomorrow.....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:44 PM   #15
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Finally got round to washing the car tonight - my driveway is in the sun until around 18.30 at this time of year and I have normally settled down on the couch by then...that's my excuse anyway......

The cover looks to be pretty decent quality material and, importantly, elasicated bottom and other fittings look up to the job.

While the cover is not 'custom made' (mine has a label saying 'size D') it is a very good fit. Only criticism is that it could do with being maybe an inch longer on either side to fully reach the bottom of the cills, although that may sort itself out when the inevitable wrinkles and creases flatten out - I also have the M Performace body kit on mine that probably adds a few inches to the girth of the car.

No photos as I can't be arsed ....but the one in the advert is a good representation of the fit.

Overall I am pleased with the cover, certainly fits better than any cover I have had before for other cars and no obvious reason why it shouldn't last well if cared for properly.

Worth noting that there is '10% off today only'.....for at least the thirtieth day running.

You may wish to bear in mind if you are in the UK that my cover was sent from Texas. Which is in America. I wasn't overly happy with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #16
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You may wish to bear in mind if you are in the UK that my cover was sent from Texas. Which is in America. I wasn't overly happy with that.
You do realise the cover wasn't flown over on its own aircraft just for you?

If you could have got one that was exactly the same and delivered from the UK, but it was £10 more, would you have paid that?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #17
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
You do realise the cover wasn't flown over on its own aircraft just for you?

If you could have got one that was exactly the same and delivered from the UK, but it was £10 more, would you have paid that?
Don't get me wrong - I don't have an issue with 'America' it's just that I ordered from a .co.uk site with a UK business address and as such I wouldn't have expected an unnecessarily large carbon footprint from delivery. If the uk end is out of stock (they said they were in stock when I enquired before purchase) I would have happily waited (within reason) until they were in stock in the UK.

And yes, I know moaning about carbon footprint is a bit hypocritical when you have a big German gas guzzler...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #18
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Don't get me wrong - I don't have an issue with 'America' it's just that I ordered from a .co.uk site with a UK business address and as such I wouldn't have expected an unnecessarily large carbon footprint from delivery. If the uk end is out of stock (they said they were in stock when I enquired before purchase) I would have happily waited (within reason) until they were in stock in the UK.

And yes, I know moaning about carbon footprint is a bit hypocritical when you have a big German gas guzzler...
That’s what I was thinking.....

Seeing as I have a similar gas guzzler! but I love it...

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:33 AM   #19
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Fair enough.

I still haven't seen my X5 cover as it's in the UK at my dad's and I'm still in the Netherlands.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 09:08 AM   #20
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

A quick update - the cover has been on the car for four days and as expected the creases and wrinkles have dropped out - even with the M Performance skirts on I would say it is now a very good fit.

Quite a lot of seagull poo on it already - mission accomplished. That'll teach the gits.
Appreciate 0