Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum When will G20 production restart?

Closed Thread

05-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #89
bryanw1996
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Xdrive

I'm in the process of ordering a 3 series. My dealership just emailed me and said that BMW is cancelling the German builds and only shipping builds form the Mexican plant right now. Has anyone heard anything similar?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:19 PM   #90
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 Inscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanw1996 View Post
I'm in the process of ordering a 3 series. My dealership just emailed me and said that BMW is cancelling the German builds and only shipping builds form the Mexican plant right now. Has anyone heard anything similar?
I was told the same thing for a M340i... not sure if I believed it or not but based on the cancellation and unknown timing I went with something on the lot at another dealer about 5 hours away.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #91
bryanw1996
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoGambler View Post
I was told the same thing for a M340i... not sure if I believed it or not but based on the cancellation and unknown timing I went with something on the lot at another dealer about 5 hours away.
I’m dealing with a “corporate store” (whatever that really means). It’s BMW Manhattan. They’re hoping to be able to swap an allocation spot with another dealer that already has a German build on order that they could modify before production starts to meet my specs. Sounds like a long shot. I guess I’m just hoping that they have enough clout and good will with the other dealers to get that favor since someone as not nit picky as me probably doesn’t care which factory it comes from. After reading this thread I’m getting concerned that that won’t work either though since it sounds like they’re just canceling everything from Germany.

Sorry I’m just ranting at this point lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #92
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I’m dealing with a “corporate store” (whatever that really means). It’s BMW Manhattan. They’re hoping to be able to swap an allocation spot with another dealer that already has a German build on order that they could modify before production starts to meet my specs. Sounds like a long shot. I guess I’m just hoping that they have enough clout and good will with the other dealers to get that favor since someone as not nit picky as me probably doesn’t care which factory it comes from. After reading this thread I’m getting concerned that that won’t work either though since it sounds like they’re just canceling everything from Germany.

Sorry I’m just ranting at this point lol.
If they can get the allocation it might work. I have a M340i on order right now that's scheduled to be produced in the Germany plant. It has not been cancelled, but my order has been in since early March. Right now it looks like my car will begin production in mid June. It sounds like the plant is not cancelling all orders, probably just orders received after a certain date since they only have so many build slots between now and when they transition to 2021 builds.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #93
bryanw1996
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsatbhs View Post
If they can get the allocation it might work. I have a M340i on order right now that's scheduled to be produced in the Germany plant. It has not been cancelled, but my order has been in since early March. Right now it looks like my car will begin production in mid June. It sounds like the plant is not cancelling all orders, probably just orders received after a certain date since they only have so many build slots between now and when they transition to 2021 builds.
So just got off the phone with my dealership...apparently BMW sent a memo to them saying that they won’t be making 3 series in Germany for the North American market going forward, so even a 2021 year model will still come from the Mexican plant.

In all honesty it doesn’t really matter - german engineered, German parts, put together in Mexico. I guess I was just hoping if I was custom ordering one anyway, might as well get every last ridiculous detail tailored to me haha.

Just wondering what some other folks on this forums thoughts are - do you guys care where the car is built?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 09:53 AM   #94
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

I guess in essence it doesn't really matter, given the Mexico factory has to abide by BMW's standards.

Still would prefer cars to be built in Germany.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #95
rileyt
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and G21 M340i (soon)

Quote:
I'm ordering a G20 320i in the UK and my munich build slot has been cancelled and will shortly be rebooked at the mexico plant.

So it might not just be a US thing.

Personally I'm not worried where it is built. A BMW is a BMW and comes with a warranty anyway so not worth worring about too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #96
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsatbhs View Post
So just got off the phone with my dealership...apparently BMW sent a memo to them saying that they won’t be making 3 series in Germany for the North American market going forward, so even a 2021 year model will still come from the Mexican plant.

In all honesty it doesn’t really matter - german engineered, German parts, put together in Mexico. I guess I was just hoping if I was custom ordering one anyway, might as well get every last ridiculous detail tailored to me haha.

Just wondering what some other folks on this forums thoughts are - do you guys care where the car is built?
Yeah, I've seen that mentioned a couple other times as well. I'm not really concerned with where my car is built. Just want a car soon...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 01:23 AM   #97
SemtexGT
Romanian Spy
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I've ordered one in November and was told it will be produced in March, now it was set back to September...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #98
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemtexGT View Post
I've ordered one in November and was told it will be produced in March, now it was set back to September...
That's a remarkable wait.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #99
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just got confirmation from my dealer that my M340i xDrive build has been moved to the Mexico plant. Does anyone know if cars get to the US any quicker from Mexico than Germany? I would assume they do, but who knows...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #100
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

I was just told by my local dealer that they don't have any build slots right now. Most likely won't until MY2021 change over. Don't know when that will be. Now the question is will rebate offers be honored.....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #101
Cam757
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i (On Order)

Just cancelled my 2020 custom build that I placed in April. GM of my dealer basically stated that most builds that aren't in production are being cancelled or delayed until the 2021 build in Mexico. Essentially confirmed from NA BMW Corporate with the two folks that I spoke to over the phone

I prefer a German made M340i. Just went over 20 different builds in the US. Finally found one in Utah. He stated that BMW will most likely cover transport fee as an inconvenience.

PS....also fired my CA as he took 2 months to figure out what the GM did for me in 20 minutes. Not sure who will be my new CA as the GM and I did the negotiating this morning and handshaking....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #102
bryanw1996
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam757 View Post
Just cancelled my 2020 custom build that I placed in April. GM of my dealer basically stated that most builds that aren't in production are being cancelled or delayed until the 2021 build in Mexico. Essentially confirmed from NA BMW Corporate with the two folks that I spoke to over the phone

I prefer a German made M340i. Just went over 20 different builds in the US. Finally found one in Utah. He stated that BMW will most likely cover transport fee as an inconvenience.

PS....also fired my CA as he took 2 months to figure out what the GM did for me in 20 minutes. Not sure who will be my new CA as the GM and I did the negotiating this morning and handshaking....

Had a feeling things were going that way. I’m also assuming based on other info I’ve read on these forums that all the 330s for the US were shifted to Mexico several months back. I guess I’m just the first person ridiculous enough to specify that request with my dealership and they didn’t realize till they tried to put my order through. If that’s the case I’ll probably settle for one they have on the lot that looks almost exact to my build but was built in Mexico. Maybe I can get them to take a little more off
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #103
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam757 View Post

I really just want to know where I can go to get a good old fashioned handshake these days!
Appreciate 2
00SH4WN84.50
Cam7571.50
      05-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #104
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Had a feeling things were going that way. I’m also assuming based on other info I’ve read on these forums that all the 330s for the US were shifted to Mexico several months back. I guess I’m just the first person ridiculous enough to specify that request with my dealership and they didn’t realize till they tried to put my order through. If that’s the case I’ll probably settle for one they have on the lot that looks almost exact to my build but was built in Mexico. Maybe I can get them to take a little more off
In the process of my build being cancelled, and “settling” for something off a lot I added more car and saved $3600. I lost my oak trim and Tartufo Merino seats but added the excellence package that had just about every option (most notably Laser lights, Leather dash) gloss black diffuser & gloss black bumper trim. So while I wanted my custom build I’m not to bothered.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #105
bryanw1996
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
In the process of my build being cancelled, and “settling” for something off a lot I added more car and saved $3600. I lost my oak trim and Tartufo Merino seats but added the excellence package that had just about every option (most notably Laser lights, Leather dash) gloss black diffuser & gloss black bumper trim. So while I wanted my custom build I’m not to bothered.
Turns out the one that was on their website was sold. All the similar builds they may be able to get from other dealers were missing a few of my non-negotiable items. So I'm going forward with the custom order from the Mexican plant. Hopefully it doesn't get cancelled. Based on what I've seen here it doesn't seem like anyone's Mexican builds have been cancelled yet
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:04 PM   #106
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Turns out the one that was on their website was sold. All the similar builds they may be able to get from other dealers were missing a few of my non-negotiable items. So I'm going forward with the custom order from the Mexican plant. Hopefully it doesn't get cancelled. Based on what I've seen here it doesn't seem like anyone's Mexican builds have been cancelled yet
Good luck, it’ll work out eventually.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #107
bryanw1996
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Good luck, it’ll work out eventually.
Much Appreciated! I'll keep everyone updated

Hope the new M340 is treating you well!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #108
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Countryman S

Does anyone know if Munich production is back up and running? Our car was supposedly already in the production line somewhere when it was shut down, and on My BMW Garage site it still lists as "production started".....no movement since 3/5.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #109
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG20i View Post
Does anyone know if Munich production is back up and running? Our car was supposedly already in the production line somewhere when it was shut down, and on My BMW Garage site it still lists as "production started".....no movement since 3/5.
Yes it’s back on production but I’ve seen nothing on what’s been prioritized in terms of models.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #110
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Countryman S

Quote:
Yes it’s back on production but I’ve seen nothing on what’s been prioritized in terms of models.
OK. Since I am an Individual order I figured it would be Priority 1. But maybe they had to start over? Who knows. Just called the Genius hotline and they are expecting it to be completed on June 22. That is nearly a month! WTF?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread