Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G22 4 Series Coupe First Technical Specs and Preproduction Drive Reviews

04-30-2020, 10:13 AM   #89
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
This is the 'M-Sport' front fascia correct?
I'm pretty sure it is since this is the M440i.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
Frosty780.00
      04-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #90
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
I'm not a programmer, sorry guy. Even though I've done plenty of coding on my M3. There's a reason people have coding different programs for the steering system. If you want to dig into the GTS EPS code, you're more than welcome to see what changes over the stock parameters.

You're complaining about steering feel it seems. That's not going to change with a quicker or slower ratio, tie rods. Again, the consensus is the change to EPS degraded that. So outside of going back to hydraulic assist, we're stuck with EPS. You improve EPS through the programming.

So you either a.) replace EPS (ie your hardware change) or b.) continue fine tuning the EPS.
I can see where Dog Face Pony Soldier is coming from. IMO, it is how the electric assist system mechanically connects to the traditional steering rack that dampens transmitted feel and feedback. Programming can definitely make it better, but there's a limit to what programming can do.
Agreed.

My point is, and backed up by the article posted earlier, is that a majority of the lack of feedback is directly related to how BMW programmed the EPS. The designer is quoted as saying exactly that.

Maybe BMW can design a better mechanical interaction of the EPS somehow, it's already a pretty simple system, but if they program out the feel, because that's what they think the customer wants, it won't matter what the mechanical design is.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50
      04-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #91
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Agreed.

My point is, and backed up by the article posted earlier, is that a majority of the lack of feedback is directly related to how BMW programmed the EPS. The designer is quoted as saying exactly that.

Maybe BMW can design a better mechanical interaction of the EPS somehow, it's already a pretty simple system, but if they program out the feel, because that's what they think the customer wants, it won't matter what the mechanical design is.
It is my experience that the majority of buyers have no idea what good or bad steering is, their main measure is if the wheel is “easy to turn”...so BMW is sadly probably somewhat right
Appreciate 5
Jockey3448.00
pbar1400.00
Sedan_Clan25059.50
JTO245274.50
Bobh5952.00
      04-30-2020, 11:14 AM   #92
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It is my experience that the majority of buyers have no idea what good or bad steering is, their main measure is if the wheel is “easy to turn”...so BMW is sadly probably somewhat right
Also, even if BMW improved steering in "sport" mode, I'm sure most buyers think they're really quite sporty and will select it, and then complain about ride quality or whatnot.
Appreciate 2
solstice5456.50
JTO245274.50
      04-30-2020, 11:29 PM   #93
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
My steering is always in comfort mode. Easier to control oversteer that way.

Anyways, I got used to the steering feel, even started to think it felt good. Then I would drive my gf's 135i and instantly realized how superior the feel was in that car over my M3.

But hyd steering is gone. Electric is cheaper, more reliable, and less mechanically complicated (less parasitic drag on engine, accessories, etc).

Porsche has figured it out. BMW has made gains (reference my comment earlier on CS/GTS programming over standard Ms). It'll get there.
Meh I think it's a gross simplification when people say Porsche has "figured it out." I haven't driven the 911 or Taycan, but I've driven all their other models and the steering is also a far cry from hydraulic racks. Yes it's fast and precise, but subjectively there's just a smidgen of actual road surface being transmitted to your hands. It feels a little too overboosted too. I'm sure it's all done on purpose, but EPS also by its very nature dampens vibration (aka "feel").

Still far better than the EPS on any BMW besides the M2, which is passable by my standards. I know BMW can do better with its steering because they've shown it with this model, they just choose not to. They've straight up admitted it.

Last edited by Germanauto; 04-30-2020 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:37 PM   #94
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkoboe View Post
EPS is indeed here to stay. The issue is that Porsche, Alfa Romeo, and (FFS!) Cadillac all make their EPS systems with much better steering feel. BMW could do it too, but they intentionally choose not to.
I was hoping that BMW would improve the steering calibration in the sport/sport plus mode of their vehicles to at least please the enthusiast crowd, but unfortunately they really haven't done anything except add this artificial sense of heft akin to a video game. That pleasing feeling of resistance against the wheels on turn in is not present in say the new M340i. It makes me think that the solution goes beyond just a simple reprogramming of the software or whatever. I'm sure suspension geometry, camber, etc. are all major contributors as well which are mechanical in nature and therefore set in stone with the intention of appeasing to the mass market.

BMW ultimately cannot be all things to all people. Before EPS cars generally did not have these programmable "modes." They came from the factory engineered the way they were supposed to be all the time, so if BMW wanted to make a sporty car it was solely focused on being a sporty car.

Last edited by Germanauto; 04-30-2020 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 12:53 AM   #95
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Agreed.

It's not simply programming. That's just my theory, but if it was a matter of programming, then BMW could put in a "hidden" Sport plus individual steering mode to satisfy the enthusiasts and journalists. They could leave normal Sport and Sport Plus to please the masses. The problem is the design of the steering rack, I'm almost sure of it, short of being an automotive engineer. My Chevy SS steering rack still feels like an EPS rack but it has some feedback. Porsche steering racks have an ample amount of feedback.

I believe that feedback is artificial using some type of force sensors to feed back into the steering wheel and that's what BMW lacks. Maybe it's easier to put in a mid or rear engine car since there is more space in the front of a Porsche. And maybe since GM uses shorter OHV V8 engines they have more room to fit in a proper steering rack. Who knows what it is, but I am convinced it is not simply a matter of software. It's in the hardware. They can reduce the steering ratio to mask some of this like Alfa does, which may be why the car is supposed to feel more jittery, but they haven't addressed the core problem the way GM and Porsche have.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 12:58 AM   #96
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Agreed.

It's not simply programming. That's just my theory, but if it was a matter of programming, then BMW could put in a "hidden" Sport plus individual steering mode to satisfy the enthusiasts and journalists. They could leave normal Sport and Sport Plus to please the masses. The problem is the design of the steering rack, I'm almost sure of it, short of being an automotive engineer. My Chevy SS steering rack still feels like an EPS rack but it has some feedback. Porsche steering racks have an ample amount of feedback.

I believe that feedback is artificial using some type of force sensors to feed back into the steering wheel and that's what BMW lacks. Maybe it's easier to put in a mid or rear engine car since there is more space in the front of a Porsche. And maybe since GM uses shorter OHV V8 engines they have more room to fit in a proper steering rack. Who knows what it is, but I am convinced it is not simply a matter of software. It's in the hardware. They can reduce the steering ratio to mask some of this like Alfa does, which may be why the car is supposed to feel more jittery, but they haven't addressed the core problem the way GM and Porsche have.
I'm not 100% sure, but didn't the Caddy ATS use the same ZF steering rack as the 3-series?
      05-01-2020, 02:00 AM   #97
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but didn't the Caddy ATS use the same ZF steering rack as the 3-series?
I don't believe GM uses ZF steering racks which I thought most 3 series had.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:08 AM   #98
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed.

BMW steering racks had feedback, when it was hydraulic assist. We went to EPS and it was mostly gone.

The rack itself really didn't change that much. That's why I don't think the rack is fundamentally flawed.

I'm not saying that the hardware interaction of the EPS might not be flawed, I just find it hard to believe BMW forgot how to make a proper steering rack.
Appreciate 2
bmrm396639.50
Sedan_Clan25059.50
      05-01-2020, 06:30 AM   #99
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

The steering that should concern us is what on coming cars will do when they see the “bold new face of BMW” grille coming at them!
Appreciate 2
Frosty780.00
      05-01-2020, 04:57 PM   #100
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
This is the 'M-Sport' front fascia correct?
Yes this is the M Sport Packet.
      05-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #101
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

^^^ oh NO, ouch that was not the answer I was hoping for
      05-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #102
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed.

BMW steering racks had feedback, when it was hydraulic assist. We went to EPS and it was mostly gone.

The rack itself really didn't change that much. That's why I don't think the rack is fundamentally flawed.

I'm not saying that the hardware interaction of the EPS might not be flawed, I just find it hard to believe BMW forgot how to make a proper steering rack.
I wonder how many people could actually tell the difference between a good hydraulic rack and a good EPS rack in a "blind" drive?
Appreciate 1
Jockey3448.00
      05-01-2020, 10:19 PM   #103
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed.

I wonder how many people could actually tell the difference between a good hydraulic rack and a good EPS rack in a "blind" drive?
It's painfully obvious. I thought the F30 steering was broken when I first drove it. Hadn't read an article about it until I bought mine.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
Germanauto9701.00
      05-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #104
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
You can literally tell the moment you try to turn the wheel from a stand still. Hydraulic BMW steering was very stiff whereas EPS (regardless of the manufacturer) is fingertip light.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      05-02-2020, 07:19 PM   #105
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
I don't believe GM uses ZF steering racks which I thought most 3 series had.
In the ATS they did and it was fantastic, I had a premium line and its steering was great, the suspension very very good (magride), but the transmission sucked, and sucked bad. I really wanted to get a CT4-V but was unhappy with a few compromises Id have to make such a smaller 8" screen, inability to shift manually from the gear selector, an interior that was little sub-par compared to the CT5, which felt like utter luxury. Plus I was concerned about the infotainment software being funky. iDrive is familiar. Due to factory closures, there are only 12 available within 500 miles and only 3 within 100 and none of them were configured with desired options such as Nav AND sunroof. So the M340 won out and so far Ive very pleased and am enjoying more than my Alfa which it replaced or the F80 I had before that.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 10:42 PM   #106
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

"...Engine on, and in the digital instrument display appears a short animation of the finished 4 Series. We won't give too much away, but the mega-kidney is coming, friends – you can be sure of that. ..."

Wish Motor 1 took a picture ha ha!
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #107
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

"...Its turbocharged 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder engine is combined with a 48V electrical architecture in a development that introduces mild hybrid properties, including off-throttle coasting...."

What is off throttle coasting? Can you use the electric assist in traffic?
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 07:15 AM   #108
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

I read that to mean that once you get off the throttle, the MHEV system tries to keep the speed constant as much as possible in order to save gas.
Appreciate 1
Frosty780.00
      05-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #109
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
You can literally tell the moment you try to turn the wheel from a stand still. Hydraulic BMW steering was very stiff whereas EPS (regardless of the manufacturer) is fingertip light.
F10 M5 was hydraulic and it was also fingertip light. Also, my E92 M3 steering was definitely lighter than M4 that I’ve owned and also lighter than M340i that I test drove a couple of times.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25059.50
      05-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #110
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
F10 M5 was hydraulic and it was also fingertip light. Also, my E92 M3 steering was definitely lighter than M4 that I’ve owned and also lighter than M340i that I test drove a couple of times.
I'm referring to the E-chassis models. I personally found the E92 steering to be heavier than the the M4 at low speeds. M340i is definitely light at lower speeds especially without sport mode enables.
Appreciate 0