Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Reading text messages, not texts with Carplay

05-01-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Reading text messages, not texts with Carplay

Sorry if this has been covered but I can’t find anything helpful.

I am new to my G20 M350i, recently coming from an LCI F10 535i. I have Apple Carplay text functioning in the G20 where Siri reads me texts to me but what I am missing is the option to READ text messages in iDrive. My F10 had that option and I actually coded it to allow more characters. My G20 is missing that. I saw this display in a YouTube video review of a Canadian market M350ix where there is an option for Text Messages. My iDrive doesn’t show this.

Can someone explain this to me?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #2
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I just posted in another thread about this.

If you change the mobile device option for your phone, in iDrive, to iDrive mode you will see the text messages option...but you can't reply or send new messages.

In Carplay mode you can send text messages (via Siri) but not see the received messages properly. So I end up having to go back and forth between the connection modes.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 07:29 PM   #3
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottroc View Post
I just posted in another thread about this.

If you change the mobile device option for your phone, in iDrive, to iDrive mode you will see the text messages option...but you can't reply or send new messages.

In Carplay mode you can send text messages (via Siri) but not see the received messages properly. So I end up having to go back and forth between the connection modes.
Thanks for the reply. I’ll give it a try and hopefully that works for me. It’s unfortunate it’s an “either/or” choice. I like Carplay for many things but I do like to be able to read texts and be able to go back to a text, unlike in Carplay once you’ve listened to it, it’s gone. Sometimes there are texts with an address, instructions, or other information I want to reference later. I definitely miss that functionality.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 01:48 AM   #4
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes exactly, it's annoying as hell. I can't imagine why BMW didn't sort this feature out. My wife's Peugeot, less than half the price, has been able to receive AND send text messages for 3 years AND do Carplay.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #5
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes exactly, it's annoying as hell. I can't imagine why BMW didn't sort this feature out. My wife's Peugeot, less than half the price, has been able to receive AND send text messages for 3 years AND do Carplay.
I’m probably like so many people here. We love BMWs as drivers but hate some of the shortcomings that other, lesser, vehicles have. We suffer for our loyalty.

I tried switching to iDrive instead of CarPlay and the text message option did not appear. Perhaps it’s a coding issues in which case I can try to do that with BimmerCode. Or, it’s something I need to have a BMW Genius help with but due to COVID-19, they are all off work at my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata View Post
I tried switching to iDrive instead of CarPlay and the text message option did not appear. Perhaps it’s a coding issues ...
There are 2 issues to check. Firstly on your iPhone go to Settings, Bluetooth, click on the vehicle name and make sure everything there is on or ticked. For me I had to turn on "Show Notifications".
Then if that didn't solve it maybe you don't have Enhanced Bluetooth? If you don't then you will need to code it. There are threads elsewhere about this.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:09 PM   #7
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are 2 issues to check. Firstly on your iPhone go to Settings, Bluetooth, click on the vehicle name and make sure everything there is on or ticked. For me I had to turn on "Show Notifications".
Then if that didn't solve it maybe you don't have Enhanced Bluetooth? If you don't then you will need to code it. There are threads elsewhere about this.
You are spot on. I don’t have Enhanced BT. After reading more here, I have learned that (at least us here in the US) don’t get Enhanced BT unless we opt for the wireless charging option for $500. It’s a ridiculous way to package two options, one being a somewhat necessary one that should be standard but I know we’re talking about Bayerische Motoren Werkes and we know how they are!

Thanks for your help getting me to this realization. Now to wait for BimmerCode to be able to code Ehanced BT....
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:48 AM   #8
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes I completely agree about the option packages. I didn't get the Enhanced BT either as here it was part of the Technology package (IIRC) that cost something like £1700. That did include the wireless charger and a lot of other things like HUD but most of them I wasn't too bothered about.
I didn't even realize at the time what EBT was. Only once I picked up the car and couldn't read my texts. They should have made this standard.
Several other accessories/features I'd have liked but because they package everything up you have to spend £1500-£2000 each time.
Luckily I was able to code EBT using Esys. I don't know for sure if you can do it with Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0