Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications DME Tuning Stage 1 review 2019 330i G20

04-07-2022, 05:42 PM   #1
ztech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
DME Tuning Stage 1 review 2019 330i G20

The G20 330i tune is a newer tune, and still hasn't been listed on the DME website (the F30 330i tune is listed). The company quoted me 52HP/55TQ gains, which is very close to the numbers that Dinan Stage 1 Bench tune. I can confirm that the tuned car, does feel quick enough off the line, to be consistent with those numbers, although I did not attempt any measured acceleration (0-60/Quarter) runs to help verify that. I should note that even stock, the car does get substantial wheelspin - enough so that getting a decent launch, involves a learning curve.

In S-shift mode/Sport Mode, even when your not stomping on the gas, the car is much more enjoyable to drive. There is a significant improvement in throttle response, and that responsiveness has been improved throughout the rev range, too. I love how linear and effortless the acceleration has become. Just tipping in, and very gradually advancing throttle, say through 40-80 MPH, and you feel a linear surge of power, that is much watered down with the stock tune. These improvements in acceleration have not come at the expense of violent, or even rough, gear shifts, either. The car is still smooth shifting (perhaps, in part, thanks to the 550nm/405lb-ft rated ZF 8HP transmission).

Inside the car, you can notice a more aggressive growl from the engine, though it hasn't become obtrusive for Comfort-mode driving. The tune updates the sport gauges from 300HP/300TQ to 400HP/400 TQ, and from 20PSI to 30PSI boost.

Maybe the best thing about the tune, was how the increased power, compliments the 330i's handling. I took the car through some twisty roads, and I immediately appreciated with how much easier it was to set myself up for the next apex. The tune highlights the car's ability to make lateral transitions, as the power level much better matches the chassis/suspension.

I wouldn't say the stock tune isn't good, but like a lot of other people, I've gotten used to driving the base models. With this tune, the 330i feels intermediate to the M340i - in other words, like it convincingly could have been "the 340i". Everything feels very stock, but much more racey.

On my long 3 hour drive back (averaging about 90 MPH) from my tuner, the first day of the tune, the car ran fine, with no issues. Unfortunately, I was running stock plugs with 39K miles on them. On the second day, after a long, 2 hour drive, followed by about 5 hard pulls from a standstill, upon restarting the car, the DME had clearly reverted back to a lower map - which felt comparable to stock. There were no misfire/knock codes that I could detect with the Bimmercode and MHD apps, and neither could my tuner shop detect anything via Insta. I did speak to DME Tuning today, and they did assured me they are not manipulating knock sensitivity, and that all factory safeguards are in place. They only confirmed that with the additional boost on Stage 1, the old plugs (39K miles), can quite likely cause a misfire, even running 93 octane. And DME Tuning did recommend 1-step colder plugs, which I wasn't running. Still, there is the possibility that some sophisticated, underlying factory or DME Tuning safeguard, (eg; temperature/low voltage at the spark plugs), is anticipating potential misfire/knock conditions, and tunes the engine down, before the trouble starts - and that might explain why there was no detectable misfire/knock codes.

My shop replaced the plugs with NGK plugs (stock heat rating), the car was fine on Stage 1, for a few hours of driving, but I had to have it tuned back to stock, for the dealer to service a recall. I will have to have some more time with the car on Stage 1, with close monitoring, to reflect on how it holds up.

I would recommend anyone who gets this tune to make sure they are on fresh plugs.

Last edited by ztech; 05-07-2022 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
bquatt218.50
njfoses290.50
      04-08-2022, 06:53 AM   #2
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
The G20 330i tune is a newer tune, and still hasn't been listed on the DME website (the F30 330i tune is listed). The company quoted me 52HP/55TQ gains, which is very close to the numbers that Dinan Stage 1 Bench tune. I can confirm that the tuned car, does feel quick enough off the line, to be consistent with those numbers, although I did not attempt any measured acceleration (0-60/Quarter) runs to help verify that. I should note that even stock, the car does get substantial wheelspin - enough so that getting a decent launch, involves a learning curve.

In S-shift mode/Sport Mode, even when your not stomping on the gas, the car is much more enjoyable to drive. There is a significant improvement in throttle response, and that responsiveness has been improved throughout the rev range, too. I love how linear and effortless the acceleration has become. Just tipping in, and very gradually advancing throttle, say through 40-80 MPH, and you feel a linear surge of power, that is much watered down with the stock tune. These improvements in acceleration have not come at the expense of violent, or even rough, gear shifts, either. The car is still smooth shifting (perhaps, in part, thanks to the 550nm/405lb-ft rated ZF 8HP transmission).

Inside the car, you can notice a more aggressive growl from the engine, though it hasn't become obtrusive for Comfort-mode driving. The tune updates the sport gauges from 300HP/300TQ to 400HP/400 TQ, and from 20PSI to 30PSI boost.

Maybe the best thing about the tune, was how the increased power, compliments the 330i's handling. I took the car through some twisty roads, and I immediately appreciated with how much easier it was to set myself up for the next apex. The tune highlights the car's ability to make lateral transitions, as the power level much better matches the chassis/suspension.

I wouldn't say the stock tune isn't good, but like a lot of other people, I've gotten used to driving the base models. With this tune, the 330i feels intermediate to the M340i - in other words, like it convincingly could have been "the 340i". Everything feels very stock, but much more racey.

On my long 3 hour drive back (averaging about 90 MPH) from my tuner, the first day of the tune, the car ran fine, with no issues. Unfortunately, I was running stock plugs with 39K miles on them. On the second day, after a long, 2 hour drive, followed by about 5 hard pulls from a standstill, upon restarting the car, the DME had clearly reverted back to a lower map - which felt comparable to stock. There were no misfire/knock codes that I could detect with the Bimmercode and MHD apps, and neither could my tuner shop detect anything via Insta. I did speak to DME Tuning today, and they did assured me they are not manipulating knock sensitivity, and that all factory safeguards are in place. They only confirmed that with the additional boost on Stage 1, the old plugs (39K miles), can quite likely cause a misfire, even running 93 octane. And DME Tuning did recommend 1-step colder plugs, which I wasn't running. Still, there is the possibility that some sophisticated, underlying factory or DME Tuning safeguard, (eg; temperature/low voltage at the spark plugs), is anticipating potential misfire/knock conditions, and tunes the engine down, before the trouble starts - and that might explain why there was no detectable misfire/knock codes.

My shop replaced the plugs with NGK plugs (stock heat rating), the car was fine on Stage 1, for a few hours of driving, but I had to have it tuned back to stock, for the dealer to service a recall. I will have to have some more time with the car on Stage 1, with close monitoring, to reflect on how it holds up.

I would recommend anyone who gets this tune to make sure they are on new Plugs - and if you take the DME Tuning's advice - 1-step colder plugs.
Thanks for the feedback. So the car feels OEM+ then basically? That is what I am going for. I've heard that boost controllers/piggybacks aren't very smooth at partial throttle.

Does the DME tune increase the burbles at all? Mine were all but neutered with an OTA update.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 08:39 AM   #3
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
There was really no reason to tune back to stock for dealer work. They are going to know the car is/was tuned regardless. Hopefully they dont update the car to the latest software as that will lock your DME again and you will need to have the bench unlock performed again.
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1941.50
      04-08-2022, 08:56 AM   #4
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
Thanks for the feedback. So the car feels OEM+ then basically? That is what I am going for. I've heard that boost controllers/piggybacks aren't very smooth at partial throttle.

Does the DME tune increase the burbles at all? Mine were all but neutered with an OTA update.

Absolutely, the car feels like it could come out the factory this way. I know that piggybacks aren't the best for improving throttle response. When I get the car back, I will pay attention to the burbles.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 09:36 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the feedback

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
ztech132.00
      04-10-2022, 06:44 PM   #6
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Got the car back and no problems on several very long drives (about 600 miles), over two days, at mostly high speeds. Bimmerlink showed the misfire counter never went out of normal range (~1-2 random misfires every ~10 min). It must have just been the very old original plugs (~39k Miles) that caused the tune to drop to a lower (safety) map.

Last edited by ztech; 04-28-2022 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 06:59 PM   #7
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

Burbles can be programmed at customer request, per DME Tuning:

FROM DME TUNING Website (https://dmetuning.com/products/bmw-330i-2019)
-Tuning for specific octane
-Check engine light removal for downpipes (off-road use only)
-Top speed limiter removal
-Cold start On/Off
-Extend or add burble when available
Appreciate 1
bquatt218.50
      04-22-2022, 06:10 PM   #8
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
A couple days ago the tune reverted back to a lower MAP again. I talked to DME Tuning, and they couldn't identify why it may not be able to handle the advanced timing/boost. Because this is a new tune, I knew I would be taking a risk. DME Tuning has a good reputation among tuners, but at this point I feel that they require more feedback from G20 330i tuners, in order to refine their tune....at least on my car, it doesn't hold up in the long run. Sorry, if I gave anyone false hope.

I have flashed back to stock, and submitted my DME to DINAN for their B46 BENCH FLASH. From what I understand, DINAN shoots for not only power, but reliability, too, and they don't just DYNO vehicles, they do road tests too.

DINAN B46 Bench
-More Power: Max gains of 44 WHP / 47 lb-ft of torque over stock on 93 octane with more on tap when using race fuels. Consult the performance charts for additional octanes and data.
-Dinan Stage 1 performance software includes a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software and provides free updates and reflashes as they become available. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the warranty.
-Choice of numerous octane calibrations depending on your needs (91, 93, 100 and 104).
-No required parts. Install on a stock car and receive the full power gains.
-Full map rescaling for drivability from idle to wide open throttle and everywhere in between.
-Optimized boost control, cam phasing, lamda targeting, fueling, airflow and temperature controls for maximum power output that is also safe and reliable.
-Retains all BMW factory engine safeguards and adds numerous additional safety protections.
-Top speed governor (VMAX) removed.
-Torque by gear strategies implemented for maximum power output and traction.
-Sport mode cooling that targets lower coolant temperatures added for optimum track effectiveness.
-Pedal feel improved to naturally align with the increased torque output.
-Sport gauges rescaled to reflect higher than stock power output.
-Sport mode exhaust flaps that default to open.
“der Schubblubbern” (AKA Thrust Bubbles or Pops & Bangs) timer extended in --Sport mode for additional audible satisfaction.
-Remote start functionality (if equipped) completely retained. Digital key presence not required.
Appreciate 2
njfoses290.50
bquatt218.50
      04-23-2022, 07:53 AM   #9
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
A couple days ago the tune reverted back to a lower MAP again. I talked to DME Tuning, and they couldn't identify why it may not be able to handle the advanced timing/boost. Because this is a new tune, I knew I would be taking a risk. DME Tuning has a good reputation among tuners, but at this point I feel that they require more feedback from G20 330i tuners, in order to refine their tune....at least on my car, it doesn't hold up in the long run. Sorry, if I gave anyone false hope.

I have flashed back to stock, and submitted my DME to DINAN for their B46 BENCH FLASH. From what I understand, DINAN shoots for not only power, but reliability, too, and they don't just DYNO vehicles, they do road tests too.

DINAN B46 Bench
-More Power: Max gains of 44 WHP / 47 lb-ft of torque over stock on 93 octane with more on tap when using race fuels. Consult the performance charts for additional octanes and data.
-Dinan Stage 1 performance software includes a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software and provides free updates and reflashes as they become available. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the warranty.
-Choice of numerous octane calibrations depending on your needs (91, 93, 100 and 104).
-No required parts. Install on a stock car and receive the full power gains.
-Full map rescaling for drivability from idle to wide open throttle and everywhere in between.
-Optimized boost control, cam phasing, lamda targeting, fueling, airflow and temperature controls for maximum power output that is also safe and reliable.
-Retains all BMW factory engine safeguards and adds numerous additional safety protections.
-Top speed governor (VMAX) removed.
-Torque by gear strategies implemented for maximum power output and traction.
-Sport mode cooling that targets lower coolant temperatures added for optimum track effectiveness.
-Pedal feel improved to naturally align with the increased torque output.
-Sport gauges rescaled to reflect higher than stock power output.
-Sport mode exhaust flaps that default to open.
“der Schubblubbern” (AKA Thrust Bubbles or Pops & Bangs) timer extended in --Sport mode for additional audible satisfaction.
-Remote start functionality (if equipped) completely retained. Digital key presence not required.

Look forward to your experience with the Dinan flash! I know for a fact they have a G20 330i shop/dev car so they were able to develop and test on their own vehicle. Which map are you going for?
Appreciate 1
ztech132.00
      04-23-2022, 08:21 AM   #10
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Y can't wait to hear your feedback on the Dinan flash. I've been waiting a long time to hear a review on it. I will be getting their flash at some point as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:12 AM   #11
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
93 Octane calibration.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:23 AM   #12
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Look forward to your experience with the Dinan flash! I know for a fact they have a G20 330i shop/dev car so they were able to develop and test on their own vehicle. Which map are you going for?

Stage 1 93 Octane calibration ($499)
They offer a Stage 1+ to match factory warranty, but it's a few hundred more ($899)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 04:41 PM   #13
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Quote:

I would recommend anyone who gets this tune to make sure they are on new Plugs - and if you take the DME Tuning's advice - 1-step colder plugs.

************[[UPDATE!! PROBLEMS WITH THIS TUNE] [SEE POSTS BELOW]]********
************[[UPDATE!! PROBLEMS WITH THIS TUNE] [SEE POSTS BELOW]]********
Any update after getting it looked at?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 05:22 PM   #14
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
Any update after getting it looked at?
I didn't bother. The shops 3 hours away, and I wouldn't be willing to take another chance, anyways. I spent $1,000 on the tune, and felt like they guinea pigged my 330i - or it might has well been - because the tune failed twice under light-moderate driving. I was under the impression that their G20 tune was done, and the company just had to "update their website". I don't know about that.

As far as I could tell everything looked fine - Engine temp was good, lambda (air to fuel) was good. I was getting a slightly higher misfire count with the tune, but that is only expected with higher boost/advanced timing, but nothing close to triggering a CEL. The car had brand new plugs.

My DINAN flashed DME will be back Tuesday or Wednesday, and I will write a review, and then a long term update shortly after. Hopefully that feedback will be useful, because I know there are less tuning options for our G20s.

Last edited by ztech; 04-23-2022 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 10:37 PM   #15
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Quote:
I didn't bother. The shops 3 hours away, and I wouldn't be willing to take another chance, anyways. I spent $1,000 on the tune, and felt like they guinea pigged my 330i - or it might has well been - because the tune failed twice under light-moderate driving. I was under the impression that their G20 tune was done, and the company just had to "update their website". I don't know about that.

As far as I could tell everything looked fine - Engine temp was good, lambda (air to fuel) was good. I was getting a slightly higher misfire count with the tune, but that is only expected with higher boost/advanced timing, but nothing close to triggering a CEL. The car had brand new plugs.

My DINAN flashed DME will be back Tuesday or Wednesday, and I will write a review, and then a long term update shortly after. Hopefully that feedback will be useful, because I know there are less tuning options for our G20s.
Dang, so you just bit the bullet? I wish you hope on your Dinan tune

Edit: Also, may I ask how you diagnosed the misfires? Did you use an app connected to the OBDII port? I'm using JB4 at the moment so I want to know how I can check as well...

Last edited by turnsignalslol; 04-23-2022 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: I forgot to add something
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 08:21 AM   #16
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

Edit: Also, may I ask how you diagnosed the misfires? Did you use an app connected to the OBDII port? I'm using JB4 at the moment so I want to know how I can check as well...
I used the Bimmerlink app with the OBD2 ENET cable (with Android USB-c connector) to monitor misfires and other parameters.

I've really liked the JB4 on my Audi's, but in my experience, Audis hold up very well with both piggy back and flash tunes. From all the feedback on G20s, they seem to be more finicky. I have my fingers crossed for the DINAN tune.
Appreciate 1
gorthol64.00
      04-26-2022, 01:27 PM   #17
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I used the Bimmerlink app with the OBD2 ENET cable (with Android USB-c connector) to monitor misfires and other parameters.

I've really liked the JB4 on my Audi's, but in my experience, Audis hold up very well with both piggy back and flash tunes. From all the feedback on G20s, they seem to be more finicky. I have my fingers crossed for the DINAN tune.
Who is handling the install for you? Hoping you have some good news to report shortly.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 08:10 PM   #18
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Who is handling the install for you? Hoping you have some good news to report shortly.
I'm actually doing it by myself. The only requirement is to have the ability to clear any potential DME codes, and I can use Bimmerlink for that.

We will find out Thursday how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 06:40 PM   #19
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm actually doing it by myself. The only requirement is to have the ability to clear any potential DME codes, and I can use Bimmerlink for that.

We will find out Thursday how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed
I've been lurking this thread too many times today for initial feedback on the Dinan 🤣
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 12:40 PM   #20
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I've been lurking this thread too many times today for initial feedback on the Dinan ��
I got the tuned DME back, and installed it easy, but I'm going to have to hold off on a review for a bit until I resolve another problem. I'm really not too sure if it's an issue with the tune or with my car.

The sport display is confirming peaks of 305 HP, and 350 TQ, and the car sounds great - much louder, and IMO great tone, but I did a couple of 0-60 and 60-80 runs, and I was surprised the car really doesn't feel much faster. I tried some unofficial timings, and the acceleration seems the same. ~5.3 second (0-60), and 3.4ish sec 60-80 MPH - so traction doesn't seem to be the problem. No MISFIRES, by the way. Even stranger, the throttle response seems to have gotten a little bit worse than stock. Under light throttle application and there is very little reaction from the car.

Again, I really don't think it's an issue with the tune, mainly because of the fact the gauges are confirming higher output.
I tried to work out the problem, with my limited experience, and could only come up with a few possible explanations:

1) The tune is actually achieving the higher hp/tq peaks , but the power/torque increase isn't being applied with consistency

2) The transmission is in some type of (partial?) limp mode (maybe related to my previous tune with DME Tuning) and is preventing from the application of power to the rear wheels.

3) Heat soak?

4) Exhaust leak(s)?

I talked to Dinan, and they will provide some feedback hopefully today or tomorrow. If any of you have any feedback or suggestions, please share !!!

Last edited by ztech; 04-29-2022 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 01:18 PM   #21
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I've been lurking this thread too many times today for initial feedback on the Dinan ��
I got the tuned DME back, and installed it easy, but I'm going to have to hold off on a review for a bit until I resolve another problem. I'm really not too sure if it's an issue with the tune or with my car.

The sport display is confirming peaks of 305 HP, and 350 TQ, and the car sounds great - much louder, and IMO great tone, but I did a couple of 0-60 and 60-80 runs, and I was surprised the car really doesn't feel much faster. I tried some unofficial timings, and the acceleration seems the same. ~5.3 second (0-60), and 3.4ish sec 60-80 MPH - so traction doesn't seem to be the problem. No MISFIRES, by the way. Even stranger, the throttle response seems to have gotten a little bit worse than stock. Under light throttle application and there is very little reaction from the car.

Again, I really don't think it's an issue with the tune, mainly because of the fact the gauges are confirming higher output.
I tried to work out the problem, with my limited experience, and could only come up with a few possible explanations:

1) The tune is actually achieving the higher hp/tq peaks , but the power/torque increase isn't being applied with consistency

2) The transmission is in some type of (partial?) limp mode (maybe related to my previous tune with DME Tuning) and is preventing from the application of power to the rear wheels.

3) Heat soak?

4) Exhaust leak(s)?

I talked to Dinan, and they will provide some feedback hopefully today or tomorrow. If any of you have any feedback or suggestions, please share !!!
I believe the remapped gauges are just coding, in theory they could code them to say 500 hp if they desired. So I wouldn't focus on that too much IMO.

Sorry it's not been a smooth process for you, we all appreciate you being the Guinea pig and helping to smooth out the kinks for the rest of us

Since Dinan's R&D car hasn't had any issues I am thinking it's something going on with your car, like you said. Hope they can figure it out in short order.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 01:32 PM   #22
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe the remapped gauges are just coding, in theory they could code them to say 500 hp if they desired. So I wouldn't focus on that too much IMO.

Sorry it's not been a smooth process for you, we all appreciate you being the Guinea pig and helping to smooth out the kinks for the rest of us

Since Dinan's R&D car hasn't had any issues I am thinking it's something going on with your car, like you said. Hope they can figure it out in short order.
Thanks. I noticed some people have had issues with BootMod and JB4 as well, however, I a lot of people have not. I have seen videos from Vipin and others with 0-60 runs around 4.9 seconds (like 4.6 subtracting rollout) - which proves those acceleration times are possible - and with consistency and reliability. I really don't understand what is going on. I'm hoping for the best and will keep everyone up to date.

Last edited by ztech; 04-30-2022 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0