Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

01-02-2020, 01:27 AM   #111
XXXX
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Xdrive Touring Msport

Any news?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 01:35 AM   #112
Glaede
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i Touring M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Any news?
Nothing :-(

I'm getting really really tired of this now. They have had my car for over 3 weeks now. Does anyone if its possible to cancel a lease in Denmark, if the car is crap? I leased a new car to avoid issues....
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:04 AM   #113
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaede View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Any news?
Nothing :-(

I'm getting really really tired of this now. They have had my car for over 3 weeks now. Does anyone if its possible to cancel a lease in Denmark, if the car is crap? I leased a new car to avoid issues....
I don't know how it works in Denmark but I think that the warranty is the same worldwide. In Sweden the vendor shall have a chance to correct the product in reasonable time. If that is not possible, they shall offer a new similar product, and in worst case they shall give the money back. Talk to your leasing company, becasue they are the owner of the vehicle so they have to do this reclaim if you want a new car.
I think that reasonable time is now for long gone if they still don't know how or when they can have a fix for this. It will also be a problem for them to provide a similar car if all Touring with M have this problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #114
Zante
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i Touring

I noticed today that it sounds a little bit louder when the gas tank is almost empty. I also noticed when I shut off the engine that the gas pump had a similiar sound (seems to run some seconds after you shut off). This is maybe just an imagination because the noise, when I drive, seems to come from the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 01:16 AM   #115
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zante View Post
I noticed today that it sounds a little bit louder when the gas tank is almost empty. I also noticed when I shut off the engine that the gas pump had a similiar sound (seems to run some seconds after you shut off). This is maybe just an imagination because the noise, when I drive, seems to come from the front of the car.
My dealer still don't know whats wrong. They think it could be the gearbox, but who knows
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 02:12 AM   #116
Wmb5m
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d xdrive Touring -20

Hi all! I think that I have the same noise in my 320d Xdrive Touring M. I’m pretty sure of that it is coming from the front. When you sit in the back you don’t hear it at all, and it is worst when you sit in the driver’s seat. I have had the car at the dealer several times, but they can’t find the source and they also have the same problem on their demo Touring. They have tried a different setup of tires and even replaced a wheel bearing. They said that the wheel bearing was broken, but there was no change in sound.
Do you all have the sport breaks? I noticed that the disc at left front wheel had some scraches / tracks and the other three are completely smooth. I don’t think that the breaks are the problem because it sounds the same regardless if I break or not, but it is still strange that it appears only at one disc.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:37 AM   #117
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmb5m View Post
Hi all! I think that I have the same noise in my 320d Xdrive Touring M. I'm pretty sure of that it is coming from the front. When you sit in the back you don't hear it at all, and it is worst when you sit in the driver's seat. I have had the car at the dealer several times, but they can't find the source and they also have the same problem on their demo Touring. They have tried a different setup of tires and even replaced a wheel bearing. They said that the wheel bearing was broken, but there was no change in sound.
Do you all have the sport breaks? I noticed that the disc at left front wheel had some scraches / tracks and the other three are completely smooth. I don't think that the breaks are the problem because it sounds the same regardless if I break or not, but it is still strange that it appears only at one disc.
I agree - it's definitely more outspoken when sitting in the driver's seat, compared to the passenger side. Haven't tried sitting in the back though.

I really don't think it's related to the breaks. I believe we all have M-sport breaks.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:56 AM   #118
Glaede
Private
Rep

So, I guess we all just bought a crappy car. How are you going to proceed from here? Do you keep your cars and just accept it or what are you gonna do?
This problem could take months for BMW to correct. As of now, they don't even know what's causing it (according to my dealer and BMW Danmark).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:03 AM   #119
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So, I guess we all just bought a crappy car. How are you going to proceed from here? Do you keep your cars and just accept it or what are you gonna do?
This problem could take months for BMW to correct. As of now, they don't even know what's causing it (according to my dealer and BMW Danmark).
Good question. I haven't decided yet. I really like the 3-series Touring, it fits my needs perfectly. However I will not tolerate the noise. Maybe I'll wait for BMW to fix it and demand a substantial reduction in the leasing price. But haven't really decided yet.

Are they still actively looking for the cause?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:19 AM   #120
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausmoll View Post
Good question. I haven't decided yet. I really like the 3-series Touring, it fits my needs perfectly. However I will not tolerate the noise. Maybe I'll wait for BMW to fix it and demand a substantial reduction in the leasing price. But haven't really decided yet.

Yes, they just called, and they have 4 cars now with the same problem (our dealer). He told me that the engineers in Germany are working hard to solve the problem, so hopefully they will come up with a solution as soon as possible.
Appreciate 1
XXXX19.50
      01-06-2020, 04:22 AM   #121
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, they just called, and they have 4 cars now with the same problem (our dealer). He told me that the engineers in Germany are working hard to solve the problem, so hopefully they will come up with a solution as soon as possible.
Oh that sounds good - hopefully they will solve it soon. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:35 AM   #122
XXXX
Private
Rep

Good news👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 05:55 AM   #123
Glaede
Private
Rep

Just got an idea.. Could it be the steering rack it self?

The steering rack is different for M-Sport editions. It has a different part no. Also this could confirm why the guy from the UK didn't have any problems (LHD vs RHD = different part).

For people with S2VLA (variable sport steering) the part no is:

and non M-Sports are:

It's shared with 318d, 320d and 330i engine variants.

The 330d, 330e, M340i, however, got two different racks:

32106896201 up until 07/19
and
32106899679 up until 11/19

Kind of interesting. Does anyone know of a 330d Touring M-Sport with problems?

Last edited by Glaede; 01-06-2020 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 2
XXXX19.50
      01-06-2020, 05:56 AM   #124
Hornet
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: g20 330d xdrive

Count me in. After nearly 4000 km's of silent ride (even with studded tires) something broke. Now I have this hard to explain annoying noise from 30kmh and up. Asphalt, gravel, snow.. doesn't matter, the noise is there more or less. Also engine rpm doesn't matter. Tyre pressures are also fine.

Ok, could be a bad bearing of course. I will be in touch with the service this week.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 06:00 AM   #125
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

The steering rack is different for M-Sport editions. It has a different part no. Also this could confirm why the guy from the UK didn't have any problems (LHD vs LHD = different part).

and Non M-Sports are:

?
Good question - and interesting find. Have you asked the workshop about it?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:20 AM   #126
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Good question - and interesting find. Have you asked the workshop about it?
Not yet - will do today.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:20 AM   #127
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
Count me in. After nearly 4000 km's of silent ride (even with studded tires) something broke. Now I have this hard to explain annoying noise from 30kmh and up. Asphalt, gravel, snow.. doesn't matter, the noise is there more or less. Also engine rpm doesn't matter. Tyre pressures are also fine.

Ok, could be a bad bearing of course. I will be in touch with the service this week.
Interesting - so yours was quiet at delivery? Mine was noisy from the beginning. Is yours a G20 with M-Sport package?

Last edited by Glaede; 01-06-2020 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: Extra question
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:58 AM   #128
Hornet
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: g20 330d xdrive

Quote:
Interesting - so yours was quiet at delivery? Mine was noisy from the beginning. Is yours a G20 with M-Sport package?
Yeah, M-sport and definitely no annoying noises until now.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 07:11 AM   #129
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
Yeah, M-sport and definitely no annoying noises until now.
Interesting. If it is in fact the same noise we are talking about, the culprit must be a faulty part which can be replaced - and not a bad construction of chassis, suspension ect.

Interesting thing here is, I've seen only users from Scandinavia reporting the problem. What is different on the Scandinavian models compared to the rest of EU?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #130
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:

The steering rack is different for M-Sport editions. It has a different part no. Also this could confirm why the guy from the UK didn't have any problems (LHD vs RHD = different part).

and non M-Sports are:

It's shared with 318d, 320d and 330i engine variants.

The 330d, 330e, M340i, however, got two different racks:

32106896201 up until 07/19
and
32106899679 up until 11/19

Kind of interesting. Does anyone know of a 330d Touring M-Sport with problems?
Interesting! Do you know if BMW have changed it on 320d and 330i in july as they did with the other?
I think that this could be the culprit!
I did a fast reversing today to see if it could be an aerodynamic phenomena, but I heard the sound so it must be some mechanically..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #131
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Quote:
Interesting thing here is, I've seen only users from Scandinavia reporting the problem. What is different on the Scandinavian models compared to the rest of EU?
I never said I'm Scandinavian I'm from Poland. On Polish G20/21 forum our problem is non-existent, but many people reporting different G20 problem which they think is related to steering rack - the car is extremely unstable in higher speeds during the wind gusts. Maybe that's why there was some July changes/modification to the steering rack, used also in G21 and as a result causing the noise? Just a wild guess
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #132
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
Quote:
I never said I'm Scandinavian I'm from Poland. On Polish G20/21 forum our problem is non-existent, but many people reporting different G20 problem which they think is related to steering rack - the car is extremely unstable in higher speeds during the wind gusts. Maybe that's why there was some July changes/modification to the steering rack, used also in G21 and as a result causing the noise? Just a wild guess
So sorry - my bad. I thought the issue was only seen in Scandinavia.
Appreciate 0