Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK From Build to Delivery, how long is the process?

09-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #1
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

From Build to Delivery, how long is the process?

Hey folks,

Ignoring the crazy long leadtimes, whats the actual build times for the 3 series, ie from start build to finish, and delivery to dealer. Mines a company car through lex, so i probably wouldnt be able to get the ordering info to be able to track with a dealer.

But just to satisfy my curiosity, can anyone shed any light on the process?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
BillyLDN
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Mine took about two weeks to build, and three weeks from being built to collection. 7 months from order to collection mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
fls
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive Touring

I ordered at the end of July, though after the Munich summer shutdown began, and it went into production today. Delivery to the dealer is expected in build week 42 (commencing 12/10), though that date has moved around a bit in the last couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fls View Post
I ordered at the end of July, though after the Munich summer shutdown began, and it went into production today. Delivery to the dealer is expected in build week 42 (commencing 12/10), though that date has moved around a bit in the last couple of weeks.
Obviously you haven't the car in your possession, I ordered mine 21st August and recently advised end of December or even January so only a month behind your order date I may see it sooner? Everything crossed
      09-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #5
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
Hey folks,

Ignoring the crazy long leadtimes, whats the actual build times for the 3 series, ie from start build to finish, and delivery to dealer. Mines a company car through lex, so i probably wouldnt be able to get the ordering info to be able to track with a dealer.

Cheers
Mine is a 330e through Lex and I managed to keep track of it. To answer your question - about 4-6 weeks from build to delivery. Mine was built mid June and I received it 17th July.

With Lex, I asked them for the order number (this will likely not be the BMW factory order number) and the supplying dealer. The dealer can then give you the BMW order number (7 digits) and you can then keep up to date with the build either with the dealer or via the online chat.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwnewbie2 View Post
Mine is a 330e through Lex and I managed to keep track of it. To answer your question - about 4-6 weeks from build to delivery. Mine was built mid June and I received it 17th July.

With Lex, I asked them for the order number (this will likely not be the BMW factory order number) and the supplying dealer. The dealer can then give you the BMW order number (7 digits) and you can then keep up to date with the build either with the dealer or via the online chat.

Hope this helps!
Cheers bud, i'll give them a call tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #7
fls
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboysafc View Post
Obviously you haven't the car in your possession, I ordered mine 21st August and recently advised end of December or even January so only a month behind your order date I may see it sooner? Everything crossed
Yeah, when I ordered I was told late November or early December and the order document has a provisional delivery date of 30/11, so it’s been much quicker than I originally expected. Having said that, when I checked online about a week after ordering the potential delivery had already been brought forward by about a month. I think it partly depends on the model/variant.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 04:40 AM   #8
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, when I ordered I was told late November or early December and the order document has a provisional delivery date of 30/11, so it’s been much quicker than I originally expected. Having said that, when I checked online about a week after ordering the potential delivery had already been brought forward by about a month. I think it partly depends on the model/variant.
I've ordered 330e, so hopefully it comes sooner than later. But reading other threads some cars have still not arrived after ordering in February
What have you on order?
      09-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
fls
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've ordered 330e, so hopefully it comes sooner than later. But reading other threads some cars have still not arrived after ordering in February
What have you on order?
Hopefully it's easing up now. I've ordered a M340i Touring, so no particular constraints that I'm aware, though the dealer was initially surprised at how much it had been brought forward.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #10
rodc271
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 330i M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
Hey folks,

Cheers
I ordered a 330i at the beginning of March.

VIN was allocated late July and production started on 1st September due to August German factory shutdown.
Left the factory on the 9th September and will be delivered to me on the 2nd October.

So just over a month from build start to delivery.
      09-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #11
fls
United Kingdom
Rep

I may have been overly optimistic. Checking this evening my order now has a status of '5290 - Date Change', which doesn't sound ideal.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 04:50 PM   #12
rodc271
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 330i M Sport Pro

Quote:
I may have been overly optimistic. Checking this evening my order now has a status of '5290 - Date Change', which doesn't sound ideal.
My car was in that state for most of July and August.
No explanation, but I assumed it was due to the August shutdown.
      09-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #13
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340

Does anyone know if the Mexico SLP plant is just producing saloons or Tourings too. My dealer said that my 330i Touring is taking so long (4 months) as it's being built in Mexico. Everything I've read points to saloons only being made there, which makes sense as the US don't sell Tourings.
Appreciate 0