Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Sideview mirror folding issues

09-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #89
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
The drivers side mirror on my G20 doesn't fold all the way in against the car like the passenger side. It seems to move smoothly when it folds in and out but it is slower than the passenger assembly.
That is normal. Happens in all the cars I've owned to date.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #90
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
The drivers side mirror on my G20 doesn't fold all the way in against the car like the passenger side. It seems to move smoothly when it folds in and out but it is slower than the passenger assembly.
That is normal. Happens in all the cars I've owned to date.
I figured that it was normal. It's the first BMW I've owned to fold the mirrors like this. Just odd.
      09-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #91
AndiC
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Not exactly related but I got a 330i a couple months ago and just last week noticed that the passenger side mirror was facing up as in reflecting the sky instead of the road. I noticed the same thing two days later. I'm not sure if I mistakenly leaned my hand on the controls to cause that but I doubt it. Anyone ever notice anything similar?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #92
JMR271186
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I have had the reverse happen today, on my drive home from work noticed the drivers side mirror at a strange angle, when I stopped I tried to fold the mirror in using the manual button, only the passenger side folded in, I tried to alter the mirror using the toggle button and it wouldn’t work, fine for the passenger side, repeater light still works, no sign of damage, frustrating, I look like having to call the dealer in the morning!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #93
robertpetrea23
Rep
Drives: 330xi G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR271186 View Post
I have had the reverse happen today, on my drive home from work noticed the drivers side mirror at a strange angle, when I stopped I tried to fold the mirror in using the manual button, only the passenger side folded in, I tried to alter the mirror using the toggle button and it wouldn’t work, fine for the passenger side, repeater light still works, no sign of damage, frustrating, I look like having to call the dealer in the morning!
Same thing happened to me the other day. And that’s after I had the passenger side mirror replaced last year for the same issue. I already called my dealer enraged and told them to order another mirror module, as these faults are getting real tiresome. A one-year-old car and they can’t get their damn folding mirrors working? It’s not some sort of a new, innovative tech, wtf.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 08:13 AM   #94
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

So apparently the replacement units are not that much better... Today my drivers side mirror didn't unfold. Has been already replaced, and lasted just for a couple of months.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #95
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Had both my driver and passenger modules changed this week as the passenger mirror only worked intermittently, more so in dry weather I found.

Seems to work ok but I have only had it back 3days. They did note the part has been changed to a different part number so hopefully this will solve the issue.

Also the dealership noted a PUMA case was open for this fault now so BMW are aware in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 09:19 AM   #96
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiC View Post
Not exactly related but I got a 330i a couple months ago and just last week noticed that the passenger side mirror was facing up as in reflecting the sky instead of the road. I noticed the same thing two days later. I'm not sure if I mistakenly leaned my hand on the controls to cause that but I doubt it. Anyone ever notice anything similar?
I had a similar issue but on the passengers side. I did note that this only happened when the current cold snap we are experiencing begun so mentioned this to the dealer when the car was in or it's first service and they seemed to agree that the weather was probably the cause. Notes said they just readjusted the motors behind the mirror and so far that seems to have worked.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #97
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
I had a similar issue but on the passengers side. I did note that this only happened when the current cold snap we are experiencing begun so mentioned this to the dealer when the car was in or it's first service and they seemed to agree that the weather was probably the cause. Notes said they just readjusted the motors behind the mirror and so far that seems to have worked.
Similar here... its only faulted after rain or snow. Although it did fault a few times after a few days of good weather too.

Seems they have recognised its a common fault and issued a new part. Just have to see over the next few weeks/ months if it fixes it.

They did show me inside the mirror housing and its surprising all the kit in there especially if you have the blind spot assist and 360 camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #98
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.summers86 View Post
Similar here... its only faulted after rain or snow. Although it did fault a few times after a few days of good weather too.

Seems they have recognised its a common fault and issued a new part. Just have to see over the next few weeks/ months if it fixes it.

They did show me inside the mirror housing and its surprising all the kit in there especially if you have the blind spot assist and 360 camera.
Yes, I see you have mentioned the faulting has made it to the PuMA list so most if not all should sort out everyone who has recurring problems quickly I'd hope.

Yup! There is a fair amount of electronics in such a small space.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 07:46 AM   #99
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Just had the electronics on my side mirror replaced, it is working again. The guy at the dealer said that the problem is so common he wouldn't be surprised if there is a recall by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #100
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekitori View Post
The passenger side mirror on my G20 was slightly out of alignment. I adjusted it and locked both mirrors in place with the passenger's side pointing downward in reverse.

A little later, as I was driving, that mirror suddenly folded inward. I hit nothing to cause it and I have no idea why it happened. The driver's side mirror was unaffected. Pressing the button to the left of the mirror adjustments causing the side mirrors to open and close did nothing. I got out of the car and manually pushed the mirror open. I then tried to fold both mirrors in and out by pushing the button again and they both worked perfectly.

I had the same problem on on my 2012 F30. It only happened once. I did the same procedure to overcome it and it never happened again.

Any thoughts?
Just took my car in for both side mirrors sensors and cameras went haywire. Also passenger side mirror would occasionally stop folding in. Thankfully a warranty job.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 06:28 PM   #101
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Well, this happened to me today for the 1st time.

Passenger side would not fold. I parked the car, left it for couple of hours and when I came back to it, the mirror was folded. Upon startup, it unfolded normally but started acting up again when I got home.

I probably used this feature less than 20 times on m car and it still failed.

I guess, I will take it in and schedule an in-between oil change while it is in there type of a thing.

This is the 1st glitch from any BMW that I have owned in YEARS!
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 04:39 PM   #102
Dpfghela
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d

Quote:
The passenger side mirror on my G20 was slightly out of alignment. I adjusted it and locked both mirrors in place with the passenger's side pointing downward in reverse.

A little later, as I was driving, that mirror suddenly folded inward. I hit nothing to cause it and I have no idea why it happened. The driver's side mirror was unaffected. Pressing the button to the left of the mirror adjustments causing the side mirrors to open and close did nothing. I got out of the car and manually pushed the mirror open. I then tried to fold both mirrors in and out by pushing the button again and they both worked perfectly.

I had the same problem on on my 2012 F30. It only happened once. I did the same procedure to overcome it and it never happened again.

Any thoughts?
Quote:

Any thoughts?
I had the same thing with my G20. Bought it nearly new from dealer. All seemed fine but the drivers mirror stopped folding within the week and then the auto dimming glass malfunctioned with the photosensitive fluid bleeding in the glass turning it black. Made it unusable.

Replaced under warranty but was told its a common fault from the wiring getting pinched by the folding motor. Stopped using the feature as a result.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #103
Breezy1
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemeh View Post
So 1,500 miles in and 1 month owner the passengers side auto folding mirror has failed.

Video..

Anyone else experienced this yet? Booked in to the dealer for Monday.
Getting the same problem. Was driving and it folded in and asked me to do software update today. Sat 40mins in the car for update, got out to lock and unlock. Clicked the manual button on driver side to fold/unfold. Only the driver side mirror folds/unfolds.

Booked in for Monday at a BMW garage. I’ll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #104
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpfghela View Post
I had the same thing with my G20. Bought it nearly new from dealer. All seemed fine but the drivers mirror stopped folding within the week and then the auto dimming glass malfunctioned with the photosensitive fluid bleeding in the glass turning it black. Made it unusable.

Replaced under warranty but was told its a common fault from the wiring getting pinched by the folding motor. Stopped using the feature as a result.
Wire getting pinched? What, was this the one thing they let an intern design?
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 07:10 PM   #105
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

And... after 3 years and 40k kilometers I experienced this issue with side mirrors two weeks ago.

A day or two after I washed it using high-pressure water nozzle I noticed that side mirror folding, mirror adjustments, and electric window buttons all stopped working. Basically, entire control cluster on driver side doors stopped working, except of the lock/unlock button. At the same time, electric windows were fully functional if operated from the button on other doors. Also, remote key fob function that makes all windows go up or down on long press was fully operational.

A few days after driver-side electric window buttons became functional. Then, a day later, side-mirror angle controller was also back. Eventually, mirror folding was fully restored probably 5 days after they stopped working.

Error code history showed that driver side (Left-hand drive) mirror folding electronics were broken, and the root cause was probably a moisture related short-circuit that took out the entire driver-door button cluster.

BMW authorized service shop diagnosed that the driver-side mirror electronics are faulted (despite everything is working right now) and confirmed this is a common problem on G20 cars. They confirmed that new part is updated to address the moisture issue, but also noted that the problem still occurs even with the updated part.

The shop does not have the replacement part available on stock. They ordered it today, and will be calling me back when they receive it.

My question is: Did anyone experience the same issue AFTER the original electronics module was replaced with the revised one?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 10:42 AM   #106
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
And... after 3 years and 40k kilometers I experienced this issue with side mirrors two weeks ago.

A day or two after I washed it using high-pressure water nozzle I noticed that side mirror folding, mirror adjustments, and electric window buttons all stopped working. Basically, entire control cluster on driver side doors stopped working, except of the lock/unlock button. At the same time, electric windows were fully functional if operated from the button on other doors. Also, remote key fob function that makes all windows go up or down on long press was fully operational.

A few days after driver-side electric window buttons became functional. Then, a day later, side-mirror angle controller was also back. Eventually, mirror folding was fully restored probably 5 days after they stopped working.

Error code history showed that driver side (Left-hand drive) mirror folding electronics were broken, and the root cause was probably a moisture related short-circuit that took out the entire driver-door button cluster.

BMW authorized service shop diagnosed that the driver-side mirror electronics are faulted (despite everything is working right now) and confirmed this is a common problem on G20 cars. They confirmed that new part is updated to address the moisture issue, but also noted that the problem still occurs even with the updated part.

The shop does not have the replacement part available on stock. They ordered it today, and will be calling me back when they receive it.

My question is: Did anyone experience the same issue AFTER the original electronics module was replaced with the revised one?
To follow-up on this:
First: While I was waiting for my repair appointment my mirrors started working again.

Nevertheless, BMW dealership replaced the Electronic module in my left (driver-side) rearview mirror on December 16. Since error codes stored in the car showed that the module in the left mirror failed.
Less than 2 months later, both rearview mirrors and power window switches stopped working again. It happened exactly one day after I washed the car, being especially careful not to hit mirror housing directly with water jet.
It's absolutely ridiculous that this car cannot be washed normally without breaking the mirrors and power window switches.

Error codes are almost the same as the first time. Could be that right mirror now failed. I'll go to the dealership this week to get it booked again.

Has anyone had any luck with repairs? Did the new revised control module permanently fix the issue

Is this issue happening on 2021 or 2022 cars that supposedly have updated version of mirror control modules?

Last edited by Calamari; 02-07-2023 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 12:25 PM   #107
panki_86
Private First Class
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive Individual

Mine is 2020 model with full option mirrors (Driving Assist Pro, Parking Assit plus, Active guard plus, electricaly foldable, self dimming, heated, shadowline and with memory).
Both are changed last year under warranty with updated product number.
On electronic was before transparent cover (you can see motherboard), on new one is black cover.

First i had problems with right one (only 360' camera was working and blind spot monitor) and few months ago i had problem with left one (heating was not working).
No problems with them since they changed both.

Here i have photo of my new left one with black cover on electronic:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 05:36 AM   #108
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panki_86 View Post
Mine is 2020 model with full option mirrors (Driving Assist Pro, Parking Assit plus, Active guard plus, electricaly foldable, self dimming, heated, shadowline and with memory).
Both are changed last year under warranty with updated product number.
On electronic was before transparent cover (you can see motherboard), on new one is black cover.

First i had problems with right one (only 360' camera was working and blind spot monitor) and few months ago i had problem with left one (heating was not working).
No problems with them since they changed both.
Good to hear that.

I'm visiting the dealership tomorrow so hopefully replacement of the other control module will fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 03:14 PM   #109
irollsollo
United_States
Rep

Keep us posted please, going through the same thing. Is there a way that the water gets on the connectors on the back side of the mirror glass itself and shorts it?

Last edited by irollsollo; 02-08-2023 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 03:18 PM   #110
irollsollo
United_States
Rep

In my case all window buttons and ambient lights work fine. The mirror adjustment, folding and blind spot monitor are completely dead though. On the right side. Had happened before once, it fixed itself, now it's been more than 2 weeks that passenger side one is dead again. And the car is out of warranty.
Appreciate 0