Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions My first 9 months with the 2020 M340i

09-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #67
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
There are tangible data out there that refutes your claim. M340i will always pull the faster lap time against the G70, not to mention the Kia. Enjoy your car no need to bad mouth ours you don't see us on Kia forums talking trash. There is no metric with tangible data showing the G70 or the stinger is superior to the M340i. Nada, zilch, on the contrary even YouTube refutes your claim regarding performance stats.
I could care less about lap times, 0-60 and overall speed. Soon as you're over 250 / 275 HP distance metrics become somewhat useless because you can't use their full potential on the road (not for long anyway). If we're talking "lap" times then I'll just go and get an M3 / M4..

When I mention "low mid" performance I'm talking the perception of grunt, every B58 engine when grabbed by the scruff is an impressive and crazy instrument but having owned several diesels the Kia gave me personally what I was looking for. I'm not a fan of the often expressed "linear" delivery, my 335d was rapid and linear but felt a little sedate because of it (again even though it was incredibly quick).

Also let's not get overly precious about our cars, we're enthusiasts are we not? Chances are I'll get bored of the Stinger two years in and get an M340i myself.. So the intention to berate a potential future car isn't on my list to do, although this is a forum to discuss opinion correct? It's nothing more than banter, doesn't have any bearing on your perception and ultimately we're not going to drive each others car so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by Firaxis; 09-11-2020 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      09-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #68
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

KIA vs BMS. Let's not go down that road. It's just laughable.

I'm fine that the bottom line of price was important to some, but to me, it's not. I don't think about the cost of my vehicle. I just think about the experience I want when I am driving.

I wanted a well-built toy car that went fast and could turn on a dime. That was the M340i at the time. In addition to the other vehicles I own, it's been a fun daily driver around the Dallas metro.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #69
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
KIA vs BMS. Let's not go down that road. It's just laughable.

I'm fine that the bottom line of price was important to some, but to me, it's not. I don't think about the cost of my vehicle. I just think about the experience I want when I am driving.

I wanted a well-built toy car that went fast and could turn on a dime. That was the M340i at the time. In addition to the other vehicles I own, it's been a fun daily driver around the Dallas metro.
Bottom line price had nothing to do with it, I was gearing up to buy an M4 comp but chickened out because I've had a car stolen previously and the M4 incredibly increases the chances of that happening again.

I just rent cars for the odd track day now, anywho mentioning it on a G20 3 series forum was obviously going to go down like a log cabin soaked in alcohol (I just responded to the Kia's being cheap thing). One thing to factor in though is in Europe the Stinger costs $52,400 and the M340i costs $53,5750 (with tech pack).

There's really not much in it for me.!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #70
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

That's fine but when folks start harping about how Stinger is better it's what gets people riled up. Since that's not a logical statement. Better value sure but fails in countless others. I see this more with the other side always justifying their purchase by saying how the bimmer is over priced. Theirs is cheaper and thus better and they can't fathom why someone would choose to not buy the car they own. Furthermore, they usually conclude that we only buy the M340i because of the badge which is even more insulting. I see countless examples of this on the stinger and G70 fora's. Why people care so much about how others spend their hard earn money is rather strange.

You don't see M340 owners on Stinger boards proclaiming how the bimmer is greater. Quite frankly, I got what I wanted and didn't care for the G70. I haven't seen anybody here regretting they had gotten a stinger or G70 instead.
      09-11-2020, 07:07 PM   #71
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firaxis View Post
Bottom line price had nothing to do with it, I was gearing up to buy an M4 comp but chickened out because I've had a car stolen previously and the M4 incredibly increases the chances of that happening again.

I just rent cars for the odd track day now, anywho mentioning it on a G20 3 series forum was obviously going to go down like a log cabin soaked in alcohol (I just responded to the Kia's being cheap thing). One thing to factor in though is in Europe the Stinger costs $52,400 and the M340i costs $53,5750 (with tech pack).

There's really not much in it for me.!

You didn't buy an M4 because you worried it would be stolen? That's... Interesting. Isn't that what car insurance is for?

I'd be more worried about a KIA being stolen than a BMW.

https://insurify.com/insights/update...rs-in-america/

As for pricing, I lease my vehicles spec'd-out fully. There's no use in it for me otherwise. My M340i was just a hair under $80k.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #72
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's fine but when folks start harping about how Stinger is better it's what gets people riled up. Since that's not a logical statement. Better value sure but fails in countless others. I see this more with the other side always justifying their purchase by saying how the bimmer is over priced. Theirs is cheaper and thus better and they can't fathom why someone would choose to not buy the car they own. Furthermore, they usually conclude that we only buy the M340i because of the badge which is even more insulting. I see countless examples of this on the stinger and G70 fora's. Why people care so much about how others spend their hard earn money is rather strange.

You don't see M340 owners on Stinger boards proclaiming how the bimmer is greater. Quite frankly, I got what I wanted and didn't care for the G70. I haven't seen anybody here regretting they had gotten a stinger or G70 instead.
I can't even comprehend how such an inane subject regarding an unimportant matter would "rile one up".. I don't like celery, it's not rational but shall I schedule in pistols at dawn?

Anyway, the M340i is overpriced here (unless buying cash) but that's due to poor offers, brexit and the fact it's still relatively new. It'll drop though, give it time..

Look, I've been squarely BMW for the last decade bar a slight detour to Jaguar (XE 250) which umm lasted six months.. I know exactly why one would buy an M340i, as I said it's an incredible car. I'm not spouting this to give you the fuzzies either, if I didn't like the M340i I'd expressly say so.

Although like every other car I've ever driven it has it's pro's / con's.. I don't think the Kia is better it's just different, I don't know why my experiences don't align with yours but by the beard of Zeus I'm glad they don't. Despite the same ZF 8AT in the Jag it was dumber than a mule, including a lethargic engine it got dumped (at quite a sizeable cost)..

I'm honestly not trying to convince anyone, got a new car.. Relatively exited, like to share with my fellow enthusiasts and if some are like me we don't care about the badge, we just like shiny new things and a fun drive.! Do I believe they should be overlooked? No but in no conceivable way does it matter.

A friend of mine drives a 2001 Hyundai, it's err not the best car but he's happy with it.. I drove it and appreciate how far they've really come along..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 08:44 PM   #73
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
I haven't driven the G70 or Stinger but I did drive an Infiniti Q50 RS400 and holy shit was that laughable. Steering was an absolute joke and the sales person straight up told me to buy the M340 7 days a week over the car he was "trying" to sell me.

For the money and AWD capabilities you can't find a better car in this class...IMO obviously
Appreciate 1
Ikester192124.00
      09-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #74
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
<snip>
Thanks, I think?

Well as long as you're enjoying it that's all that really matters.. Glad we could have a civil debate.

Gdiddy23

I test drove a Q50, can't remember anything about it besides the foot parking brake which I've only ever seen in a Jeep. I do remember scrambling back into my F30 though.. Says it all really.
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      09-11-2020, 09:08 PM   #75
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
Guess I am the odd man out as I always buy and keep 10 years! My 2011 has 184,750 miles on her and rides and runs as good as new. Only issues were the normal oil filter housing and valve cover leak all fixed. My oil pan slightly seeps, but not enough to worry about it at this time. Yes I still love it, and a G20 340 or Z4 will be my next car. I spoiled my wife with a fully loaded 2020 X5 with 4100 trouble free miles so far, and we absolutely love it, and have no doubt the feeling will stay for the next 10 years!
As long as you take care of it, keeping a car for 10 years is not a bad financial plan, minus the eventual repairs. I'm thinking brake pad replacements, loose bearings / rotors, etc...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #76
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKrazyPolak View Post
As long as you take care of it, keeping a car for 10 years is not a bad financial plan, minus the eventual repairs. I'm thinking brake pad replacements, loose bearings / rotors, etc...
True, I have only changed the brakes once so far and the car has all the original bearings and suspension except for the rear struts were replaced at around 150,000 miles. They way I look at it is once its paid off I bank the car payments for repairs and the next one. Also my wife and I put 20 to 25 thousand miles a year on our cars so leasing for us, is just throwing money away. Since Covid I am fortunate enough to be working at home so I haven’t put any real miles on my car. I will probably wait a couple more years before buying a new one. What’s funny is this car has cost me less to maintain then each Nissan I have kept for 10 years! Also I broke my rule by giving our 2014 Mazda CX-5 to my son in-law after his car died. Honestly the Mazda felt like it was 10 years old after only three years and 68,000 miles. Rattles every wear and the most uncomfortable seats that wore out and actually tore! I called it the tin foil car because the hood was so flimsy it fluttered when driving! My wife hated it and that’s why we went for X5 loaded with massaging seats! Sorry for getting off topic so I will shut up now!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #77
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Why not do both?

Interesting you emphasize not wanting to spend your money on a depreciating asset, but then turn around and spend it on something that isn't an asset at all...
Bottom line is everyone spends their discretionary money on something: cars, vacations, 2nd homes, kids college tuition, whatever. Even if you live like a miser, invest every $$ you ever earn, and leave it all to your kids.

Over a 50 year period of car ownership of vehicles in this price range leasing may cost you a couple hundred thousand more than buying every 7 years?? Who am I to judge if that's how a person wants to spend some of their discretionary $$. New cars are fun!!

BTW, I am 25 years into my car ownership journey (25-75) and have never leased a car - but I'm not ruling out leasing one at some point in the future (maybe even an M340!). I would also tell you that I have not kept all of my cars a full 7 years - so I am probably not much ahead of those who lease. I also have had periods where I have simultaneously owned 3 or 4 "depreciating assets" - but hey, my house is paid for, my kids will graduate from college debt free, and I am in good shape for retirement - so if I want to "blow" some $$ on cars - within reason - I guess I can live with that.

Last edited by scoale; 09-15-2020 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 4
EXE462100.00
VetteGuy845.50
wtwo317971.00
      09-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #78
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
Bottom line is everyone spends their discretionary money on something: cars, vacations, 2nd homes, kids college tuition, whatever. Even if you live like a miser, invest every $$ you ever earn, and leave it all to your kids.

Over a 50 year period of car ownership of vehicles in this price range leasing may cost you a couple hundred thousand more than buying every 7 years?? Who am I to judge if that's how a person wants to spend some of their discretionary $$. New cars are fun!!

BTW, I am 25 years into my car ownership journey (25-75) and have never leased a car - but I'm not ruling out leasing one at some point in the future (maybe even an M340!). I would also tell you that I have not kept all of my cars a full 7 years - so I am probably not much ahead of those who lease. I also have had periods where I have owned 3 or 4 "depreciating assets" - but hey, my house is paid for, my kids will graduate from college debt free, and I am in good shape for retirement - so if I want to "blow" some $$ on cars - within reason - I guess I can live with that.
Yup... my comment was more tongue in cheek since apparently my financial IQ was in question for wanting to have the latest and greatest.

I'm blessed enough to be at a point in my life where I view a car as an enjoyable experience more than a financial burden (i.e. my cars represent a relatively minor indulgence in my overall financial situation).

But I fully recognize each individual's situation is different, some value cars more than others, and some have different priorities in life. It goes the same for leasing vs. buying. My current cars are the first cars I ever leased. Prior to this I only ever purchased, and depending on what interest rate I was being quoted I'd either finance them or just pay cash. Leasing in and of itself is a luxury, and has a convenience factor associated with it to go along with the lower short term expense compared to purchasing and selling within the first 3-4 years of ownership.

By far the least expensive way to own a car is to purchase used, and keep it for the long term. I just choose not to do that, not because I don't have the financial IQ to understand that, but because I've been blessed to be in a financial situation where I have a choice with minimal impact to my finances.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 4
EXE462100.00
scoale682.00
Firaxis265.50
      09-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #79
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Yes to the rear lip spoiler, no to the fender m badges. I have seen non US-spec M340i's in pictures that do have the fender m badging, but I believe US spec for whatever reason don't have it.

As far as full power seats I assume you mean the thigh support which is manual? I think others in this class also don't have power thigh support. The one thing that did surprise me was the steering column adjustment. I think most other cars in this segment do come with power adjustable steering. It cheapens it a bit but I suppose it doesn't bother me much since my wife likes to stay away from my M340i (she says it's too low, too uncomfortable, and too fast ) So no need to adjust it after the first time I adjusted it to my liking.
Quote:
Are you saying people change the steering wheel position while they're driving?
My 2009 Lexus when I had it had power adjustable steering. When you get in and out of the car it will move out of the way, which was awesome. Not that I needed it but it was a cool feature.
      09-15-2020, 09:26 AM   #80
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

My father would only finance a car for three years and kept them for 10. He would put his payment in savings for the remainder 7 years and when he got close to retirement, he paid cash for his last two he bought before passing. I am trying this now and have a 09 7 series I am about to sell. Of course I am all over the place on what to buy and am looking at M340i, used M5 or the new G80 when it arrives. Whatever I buy, it will be financed and am putting down at 20 to 30% and keeping a minimum of 7 years.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #81
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
My father would only finance a car for three years and kept them for 10. He would put his payment in savings for the remainder 7 years and when he got close to retirement, he paid cash for his last two he bought before passing. I am trying this now and have a 09 7 series I am about to sell. Of course I am all over the place on what to buy and am looking at M340i, used M5 or the new G80 when it arrives. Whatever I buy, it will be financed and am putting down at 20 to 30% and keeping a minimum of 7 years.
I wouldn't try to base logic around buying over priced, excessive money pits. Especially when legislation is constantly bringing forth an end to the internal combustion engine. Over here, in 2035 they won't be allowed to sell petrols or diesels therefore meaning any long term proposition will be worth nothing in a decades time.

Although life is short and good times in small supply so I'd recommend either getting whatever you can afford and forgetting about subtle fiscal nuances, or if finances really are true to one's heart buy a nearly new Toyota cash and run it into the ground.

Personally I went for the over priced money pit..
Appreciate 1
Ikester192124.00
      09-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #82
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firaxis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
I wouldn't try to base logic around buying over priced, excessive money pits. Especially when legislation is constantly bringing forth an end to the internal combustion engine. Over here, in 2035 they won't be allowed to sell petrols or diesels therefore meaning any long term proposition will be worth nothing in a decades time.

Although life is short and good times in small supply so I'd recommend either getting whatever you can afford and forgetting about subtle fiscal nuances, or if finances really are true to one's heart buy a nearly new Toyota cash and run it into the ground.

Personally I went for the over priced money pit..
Lol... I am not as practical as my father was so I will also keep buying money pits. You only live once and cant take it with you. BMW'S are my guilty pleasures.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 2
Firaxis265.50
EXE462100.00
      09-15-2020, 09:58 PM   #83
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
I haven't driven the G70 or Stinger but I did drive an Infiniti Q50 RS400 and holy shit was that laughable. Steering was an absolute joke and the sales person straight up told me to buy the M340 7 days a week over the car he was "trying" to sell me.

For the money and AWD capabilities you can't find a better car in this class...IMO obviously
I actually owned a Q50 RS400 for a few years. The power back in 2016 was intoxicating. But as time went on I started to get bored of it mainly because I felt like I was steering the car with a playstation controller. As much people talk about BMW's lack of steering feel... they need to spend a weekend in a Q50 with steer-by-wire setup and understand what it truly means to have no steering feel.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #84
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post

I actually owned a Q50 RS400 for a few years. The power back in 2016 was intoxicating. But as time went on I started to get bored of it mainly because I felt like I was steering the car with a playstation controller. As much people talk about BMW's lack of steering feel... they need to spend a weekend in a Q50 with steer-by-wire setup and understand what it truly means to have no steering feel.
Infiniti (and Nissan) is just sad right now, a laughing stock of their former selves. I miss the days of G, M and FX.
Burrcold5315.00
wtwo317971.00
      09-15-2020, 11:04 PM   #85
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Infiniti (and Nissan) is just sad right now, a laughing stock of their former selves. I miss the days of G, M and FX.
Same. I bought a new G35 Coupe (manual) when they first came out, and it was still to this day one of my favorite cars I've ever owned.

I also owned a 1992 Maxima SE (5 spd manual) back in the day and that was so much more fun than any "family sedan" on the market at the time (truly earned it's "4DSC" name).

I don't understand how Nissan fell so hard and fast...
wtwo317971.00
      09-15-2020, 11:06 PM   #86
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I don't understand how Nissan fell so hard and fast...
One word... Renault. And then another, Ghosn
      09-16-2020, 06:46 AM   #87
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
One word... Renault. And then another, Ghosn
Yeah... but it's a bit more complicated than that. In fact the argument could be made that Ghosn saved Nissan from from completely going under back in the early 2000's.

In the 90's and into the very early 2000's Nissan was making incredible cars (I owned a 93 Maxima and an early model 00 Maxima, which IMO are the best two generations of Maximas ever built). They were built well, fun to drive, and just overall better than the competition. The problem was because they were using such expensive components, margins were virtually non existent, to a point that Nissan wasn't making any money.

They were basically on track for bankruptcy, until the merger with Renault happened, and Ghosn comes in and completely slashes quality in the name of profitability. So yeah Ghosn ruined the cars, but he kept Nissan from destroying itself completely.

Now in the post-Ghosn era, it LOOKS like Nissan is trying to redefine itself again by overhauling it's entire lineup. The new Nissan Z proto was just unveiled last night and seems interesting....
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Burrcold5315.00
      09-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #88
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
I owned a '14 Infiniti Q60 which was a rebadged G35 and the steering in that car was really nice. It felt super heavy for a coupe, but it looked good and was reliable. I got the German bug shortly after and haven't looked back but I def enjoyed my time w that vehicle.

My first car ever was a brand new 2008 Nissan Altima that I got when I was 16 (thanks dad) and that car was perfect for me at the time. My fiancé drives a 2018 rogue and that is a joke to drive too. Trying to convince her to get rid of it ASAP
Appreciate 0