Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions New M340i - Thoughts and questions

07-14-2020, 05:38 PM   #23
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
Rookie mistake. Here she is:

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:18 PM   #24
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
I'm not sure -- I always hear bad things about RTFs but I've been impressed with the ones on my G20. I'm not sure how much of the excellence of it is due to the tire vs. the adaptive suspension.

I ordered mine with spare tire option even though it came with RTFs because I wanted the option to go non-RFT. I removed the spare once I saw how much trunk space it took up, and if things continue to go well with RFTs I will stay with them... except maybe look at Michelins all season RFT because the OEM Bridgestones are overpriced.

For now, at least while the tires have such low miles on them, the relationship between the tires and the suspension feels so perfect in this car.
Good to know! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
My previous car was an F82, and I'd take M340i over it any day...

I think M340i has a better engine noise, smoother engine & transmission, feels faster most of the time in real life conditions, it has better damping, and much better interior...
Even if M340i was more expensive than F82 M4, I'd still take M340i.
Very interesting. Did you daily your f82?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #25
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Congratulations and enjoy in good health! Your thoughts greatly mirror my own. How are you handling the new instrument cluster? Do you have HUD as well?

Quote:
1) I do wish I had test drove a few other options in this segment. Especially the c43 - its reputation for a stiff ride put me off it, but I wished I had at least gotten a feel for its more aggressive nature. But, I'm glad I didn't buy a 2020 c43 since the refresh is upon us and I would have been sorely disappointed to land in an older model.
The C43 is very much a love it or hate it car (actually, that's too harsh). If the M340i in Comfort is a 5 and in Sport Plus is an 7, the C43 softens to 3 and hardens up to 9. I had a great test drive but ultimately felt it was either too on or too off for a daily. Haven't regretted my choice once!

Quote:
2) After buying the m340, I had a brief period where I regretted not going full m3. Let me be clear - I fully realize the m340 is not a substitute for an m3, or even an m3 "lite". It's nomenclature is probably misleading and should really just be called the 340i. In any case, CPO m3s can be had for very similar money and I think the outgoing f80 just looks so.damn.sexy. In some ways, I still have that regret, but I'm trying to keep things in perspective: the m340i is probably the better daily driver (or so I've read) and the updated tech is something I really enjoy. With the new m3 coming out not too long from now, it will be very interesting to hear what that car is like - and see if the new grill is as bad as we all think! Any m3 + m340i owners who want to chime in here, please do so.
I almost went for the final year of the M3 when the M340i was still forthcoming, and was really worried I'd missed the boat. I have zero regrets. Yes, maybe if I was twenty years younger it would have been harder... but then I wouldn't have been able to afford it!

Quote:
As for the other cars on my list - the m550i is big and the reliability of that v8 gave me pause
I wanted to love the M550i but it felt too ponderous in the corners and the N63 V8 scares me too. I wasn't ready yet to settle in to a life of comfort

I actually just passed break-in yesterday, so I think I'm going for a drive!

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #26
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Good to know! Thank you.

Very interesting. Did you daily your f82?
Yes I did. And I actually loved it. (Below) Probably, it was the best looking car I’ve ever owned! And I totally understand everything that M cars have and others don’t. However, when it comes to owning and driving a car on a daily basis, there is much more to consider than what an M car does.

Yes, M4 is absolutely more exciting to drive, and you will feel everything more when driving an M4. The vibrations of the engine, the shifts from the DCT, the imperfections on the road, etc. And I find it really fun to drive in winter, because once you put the winter tires on, you can really enjoy sticking the tail out at safer speeds without destroying your tires. The wow factor is there too: Anyone who saw my car for the first time wasimpressed and made a positive comment. However, in some ways, my E92 was better.
F82 lacked the silky smooth character and beautiful sound of BMW inline 6 engines or the V8s that I’ve experienced previously - and since then. The DCT was jerky when you’re driving like a normal person, and the ride was more stiff than E92 M3 which was a problem in Massachusetts. Also, F82 never felt settled if you just want to cruise: It’s like it always wants to be driven like a hooligan. If you find the right road, right conditions it drives like a dream. But there were drawbacks everywhere else: Highway, city, traffic, etc.

On the other hand, since it came out, I drove M340i three times, and I was actually more impressed with it. I don’t think any other sport saloon has this kind of perfect balance for my taste... If we make a line between sportiness and usability, I would put the M340i at the perfect spot. It checks all the boxes: This iteration of B58 is the best engine BMW makes IMO: It delivers M levels of performance while doing 30+ mpg on the highway and sounding great. The ZF 8 speed is perfect - even better than the iteration in 540i: It’s a very smooth but very fast, it doesn’t feel like you’re missing out the sharpness of DCT but you’re not missing out the smooth shifts either. The suspension is perfect: it never feels too stiff nor too soft: It doesn’t bang you in the head, but it stills make you feel what you need to feel about the road.

If I had to sum up:
- Urban driving M340i 9/10 - M4 6/10
- Highway high speed cruising M340i 10/10 - M4 7/10
- NYC or Boston traffic jam driving M340i 10/10 - M4 - 4/10
- Backroads - canyon roads- parkways - B roads or whatever you call it driving: M340i: 9/10 M4:10/10

So yeah, I love the M340i which I don’t have. (Which is rare in this forum )

21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 07-19-2020 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 4
EXE462097.00
Ikester192120.50
themnmd1687.00
      07-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #27
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
Congratulations and enjoy in good health! Your thoughts greatly mirror my own. How are you handling the new instrument cluster? Do you have HUD as well?

The C43 is very much a love it or hate it car (actually, that's too harsh). If the M340i in Comfort is a 5 and in Sport Plus is an 7, the C43 softens to 3 and hardens up to 9. I had a great test drive but ultimately felt it was either too on or too off for a daily. Haven't regretted my choice once!

I almost went for the final year of the M3 when the M340i was still forthcoming, and was really worried I'd missed the boat. I have zero regrets. Yes, maybe if I was twenty years younger it would have been harder... but then I wouldn't have been able to afford it!

I wanted to love the M550i but it felt too ponderous in the corners and the N63 V8 scares me too. I wasn't ready yet to settle in to a life of comfort

I actually just passed break-in yesterday, so I think I'm going for a drive!

Thank you! I do have the HUD and I love it; I think it’s something that should be standard on all cars moving forward. I particularly like it when using BMW nav as it shows your next step...I wish it worked the same way with Waze, but alas that’s not the case. I also really enjoy the digital dash and personally prefer it to any gauge cluster that I’ve had in previous cars.

Enjoy getting out there and ripping it now that you’re beyond the break in period! I’ve gotten on it a couple times even though I’m not done breaking in, I just can’t help myself!
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #28
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Yes I did. And I actually loved it. (Below) Probably, it was the best looking car I’ve ever owned! And I totally understand everything that M cars have and others don’t. However, when it comes to owning and driving a car on a daily basis, there is much more to consider than what an M car does.

Yes, M4 is absolutely more exciting to drive, and you will feel everything more when driving an M4. The vibrations of the engine, the shifts from the DCT, the imperfections on the road, etc. And I find it really fun to drive in winter, because once you put the winter tires on, you can really enjoy sticking the tail out at safer speeds without destroying your tires. The wow factor is there too: Anyone who saw my car for the first time wasimpressed and made a positive comment. However, in some ways, my E92 was better.
F82 lacked the silky smooth character and beautiful sound of BMW inline 6 engines or the V8s that I’ve experienced previously - and since then. The DCT was jerky when you’re driving like a normal person, and the ride was more stiff than E92 M3 which was a problem in Massachusetts. Also, F82 never felt settled if you just want to cruise: It’s like it always wants to be driven like a hooligan. If you find the right road, right conditions it drives like a dream. But it was drawbacks everywhere else: Highway, city, traffic, etc.

On the other hand, since it came out, I drove M340i three times, and I was actually more impressed with it. I don’t think any other sport saloon has this kind of perfect balance for my taste... If we make a line between sportiness and usability, I would put the M340i at the perfect spot. It checks all the boxes: This iteration of B58 is the best engine BMW makes IMO: It delivers M levels of performance while doing 30+ mpg on the highway and sounding great. The ZF 8 speed is perfect - even better than the iteration in 540i: It’s a very smooth but very fast, it doesn’t feel like you’re missing out the sharpness of DCT but you’re not missing out the smooth shifts either. The suspension is perfect: it never feels too stiff nor too soft: It doesn’t bang you in the head, but it stills make you feel what you need to feel about the road.

If I had to sum up:
- Urban driving M340i 9/10 - M4 6/10
- Highway high speed cruising M340i 10/10 - M4 7/10
- NYC or Boston traffic jam driving M340i 10/10 - M4 - 4/10
- Backroads - canyon roads- parkways - B roads or whatever you call it driving: M340i: 9/10 M4:10/10

So yeah, I love the M340i which I don’t have. (Which is rare in this forum )

I really appreciate the insight! This is my first BMW, so I can’t compare to anything else in the lineup (past or present) but it really does feel like the m340 is the Goldilocks choice. If I went full M, I know it would have been purely out of hubris for the badge/appearance and I know I never would have fully unleashed its potential. Hearing your thoughts as an M owner certainly is reassuring that I made the right call for a daily driver - many thanks.
Appreciate 1
chenry2346.00
      07-19-2020, 03:15 PM   #29
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

[QUOTE=murdrdf82;26433042]I was deciding between a c43, m340 and used f82 m4. Ended up going with the m4.

The c43 is slower than the m340. Driven both, been driven in both, and seen them race each other. I agree that the m340 does feel surprisingly fast for not being an M car. C43's interior is definitely nicer with the steering wheel + digi dash looking like its out of a 120k full on AMG.

You made a good decision, because as long as you don't drive an f80 or f82 You'll never realize what you're missing and the g20 will feel perfect. I honestly was going to go with a c43/m340 til I drove an f82 and compared to the M it literally felt like a Honda Accord. It's not something you feel at the track, it's something you feel with any sort of spirited driving. Regardless, the m340 is a great machine. My advice is not to drive an M until you want to buy one lol. It'll make you appreciate the m340 for what it is.

The g20 rides way better and has the nicer interior but I love the F8x driver focused cockpit. Still feels premium without being flashy.[/QUOTE

I have owned and daily driven THREE current M3's and am now in an M340. In my humble opinion, the M340 is a much better car to live with every day. Smoother, more refined, hands down faster all around. The car is a dream to drive. I have adaptive suspension and the non run flats, and I will tell you that as good as the setup is, it is not completely unflappable like the M3 or M4. A 'perfect' car would be a full on M suspension with the M340 drivetrain. The transmission is definitely the weak spot of the m cars, the Manual being just OK and the dual clutch being herky-jerk. Anyone who owns an M car knows what I'm saying is true.

There has been cost cutting inside the M340 for sure.... and I'm not happy about it.

Bottom line if you are not tracking the car, the M340 is the better bet.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #30
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

[QUOTE=NewM3driver;26457898]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
I was deciding between a c43, m340 and used f82 m4. Ended up going with the m4.

The c43 is slower than the m340. Driven both, been driven in both, and seen them race each other. I agree that the m340 does feel surprisingly fast for not being an M car. C43's interior is definitely nicer with the steering wheel + digi dash looking like its out of a 120k full on AMG.

You made a good decision, because as long as you don't drive an f80 or f82 You'll never realize what you're missing and the g20 will feel perfect. I honestly was going to go with a c43/m340 til I drove an f82 and compared to the M it literally felt like a Honda Accord. It's not something you feel at the track, it's something you feel with any sort of spirited driving. Regardless, the m340 is a great machine. My advice is not to drive an M until you want to buy one lol. It'll make you appreciate the m340 for what it is.

The g20 rides way better and has the nicer interior but I love the F8x driver focused cockpit. Still feels premium without being flashy.[/QUOTE

I have owned and daily driven THREE current M3's and am now in an M340. In my humble opinion, the M340 is a much better car to live with every day. Smoother, more refined, hands down faster all around. The car is a dream to drive. I have adaptive suspension and the non run flats, and I will tell you that as good as the setup is, it is not completely unflappable like the M3 or M4. A 'perfect' car would be a full on M suspension with the M340 drivetrain. The transmission is definitely the weak spot of the m cars, the Manual being just OK and the dual clutch being herky-jerk. Anyone who owns an M car knows what I'm saying is true.

There has been cost cutting inside the M340 for sure.... and I'm not happy about it.

Bottom line if you are not tracking the car, the M340 is the better bet.
Very interesting. I’m curious...what was the most difficult thing to live with when daily driving an m3? Or was it a combination of factors?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #31
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

You can tell from my name here that I have had three M3s that I used as my daily driver... I have a RAM1500 sport truck for winters and bad weather.

For the 5% of the time you want to absolutely drive like a hooligan, there is no substitute for the M3. It loves to be hanging at 9/10ths and drifting around corners.

For the other 95% of the normal driving you do... driving to the office, picking up the kids from school or little league, going out to dinner, the M340 is the better choice.

The M340 is smoother, more refined, sounds better, if faster (yes, definitely faster) in a much more effortless kind of way. I could pick on some cost savings measures on the inside, but the car 'drives' so well I can't complain. I really would love analogue gauges, and I would gladly pay extra for an upgraded interior.

I used to drive the 5 series before they got to be your father's Buick... so to me the increase in size was welcome. Right now it is just roomy enough while still being tossable like a smaller car.

The full fledged M car is not always better.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #32
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
You can tell from my name here that I have had three M3s that I used as my daily driver... I have a RAM1500 sport truck for winters and bad weather.

For the 5% of the time you want to absolutely drive like a hooligan, there is no substitute for the M3. It loves to be hanging at 9/10ths and drifting around corners.

For the other 95% of the normal driving you do... driving to the office, picking up the kids from school or little league, going out to dinner, the M340 is the better choice.

The M340 is smoother, more refined, sounds better, if faster (yes, definitely faster) in a much more effortless kind of way. I could pick on some cost savings measures on the inside, but the car 'drives' so well I can't complain. I really would love analogue gauges, and I would gladly pay extra for an upgraded interior.

I used to drive the 5 series before they got to be your father's Buick... so to me the increase in size was welcome. Right now it is just roomy enough while still being tossable like a smaller car.

I can agree with this. I picked the f82 over the g20 m340 due to the fact that I drive like a hooligan closer to 30-40 percent of the time.

Also, in comfort and d1 etc the car feels comfortable enough to me. If you only hoon 5-10% of the time get the m340.

Also, the good spec f82's looks way better than any g20 ever will.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 09:03 PM   #33
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
I can agree with this. I picked the f82 over the g20 m340 due to the fact that I drive like a hooligan closer to 30-40 percent of the time.

Also, in comfort and d1 etc the car feels comfortable enough to me. If you only hoon 5-10% of the time get the m340.

Also, the good spec f82's looks way better than any g20 ever will.
When you want to hang the tail out in a perfectly controlled drift there is NO better car than the M3. It's like playing in snow on a perfectly dry road. Just have to be careful.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #34
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=blackcoffee;26457999]
Quote:

Very interesting. I’m curious...what was the most difficult thing to live with when daily driving an m3? Or was it a combination of factors?
The M3 or M4 is hyper, high strung, harsh. It is herky-jerky and will buck wildly at times, the only way to stop it is to either floor the throttle, or throw in the clutch. Go on the M forums and search m car bucking and you will read all about it.

My M's creaked and rattled a lot more than a 75 thousand dollar car should too. It can become annoying.

The M340 isn't nearly as harsh.

You go through tires twice as fast on an M car. That is your own fault, but the car is constantly begging you to drive like an ass. No other way to say it.

They are great cars, but there is a time and a place for them.

I'm sure at some point in time I will own (or lease) another.
Appreciate 3
bsmf8x777.00
Ikester192120.50
      07-20-2020, 12:23 AM   #35
Casone238
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

From the perspective of a C43 owner (waiting for delivery on a my21 M340) the M340i is hands down the better car. It’s faster, handles better, the interior has a better build quality (c43 creeks a lot) in comfort mode the m340i is better at being comfortable. The c43 is better at being theatrical (assuming it has the AMG performance exhaust) it has more presences, you can immediately tell the difference between a c300/43/63 where as with the m340i it looks like a m sport 330. I ordered my m340i with the MPE once i get the car I’ll give my opinion and which sounds better. The appearance of the speakers in c43 is nicer along with the panoramic roof steering wheel and the digital cluster. If you like the ambient lighting the c43 has 64 colors while the m340 has 7 but the m340i ambient lighting is more visible and brighter. I’m not sure if it’s because Im bored of c43 but the m340i looks better imo. One side note BMW lease out way better then MB

My brother has a ATS-V and I have a few friends with C63S and M3&M4s. Being here in the north east (NY/NJ) it’s a tough daily car with the rwd, low stance with tons of potholes and massive speed bumps and once the snow comes it’s tire switching time or fish tail your way to your destination. For that reason I choose the M340i, I was considering the E53 AMG coupe but it’s rated at 421hp but lost to the m340i in every performance test, it’s a hybrid which severely compromised the exhaust notes plus they wanted M5 money for it. Once my lease is up once the M340 I’ll look into the M3 since they announced awd that’s the only deterrent I had with it. My drives are usually 15-30 mins so the “harshness” wouldn’t really bother me, for any road trips I’ll be smart enough to rent a car lol.
Appreciate 2
bsmf8x777.00
      07-20-2020, 07:47 PM   #36
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishMuffins View Post
I just picked up my new "to me" M340i today, with 14k miles on it and drove it home 500 miles from the dealership. I have driven the M-Sport Suspension w/ RFTs, M-Adaptive w/ RFT, and mine has M-Adaptive with Pilot 4s. I'd say that the difference was definitely there with RFTs and Pilot 4s, but not as much as you'd think! Tire noise is about the same and the ride is a touch better with 4s. Can't speak for grip/performance driving however since it was mostly highway miles.
Were the Pilot 4's new, or did they have 14,000 miles on them? You would be amazed at the difference a 'fresh' set would make. At 15k miles I'm thinking about new tires. Could they go further? Yes... but I just feel that the car drives infinitely better on new rubber.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #37
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the insight! When I think about the kind of driving I do - errands, commute to/from work, riding with the fiance, etc - it just doesn't seem like I would often be able to really allow an m3 to do what it does best. Plus, the roads here in PA are alarmingly bad, so there's that too consider too...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 11:41 AM   #38
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casone238 View Post
From the perspective of a C43 owner (waiting for delivery on a my21 M340) the M340i is hands down the better car. It’s faster, handles better, the interior has a better build quality (c43 creeks a lot) in comfort mode the m340i is better at being comfortable. The c43 is better at being theatrical (assuming it has the AMG performance exhaust) it has more presences, you can immediately tell the difference between a c300/43/63 where as with the m340i it looks like a m sport 330. I ordered my m340i with the MPE once i get the car I’ll give my opinion and which sounds better. The appearance of the speakers in c43 is nicer along with the panoramic roof steering wheel and the digital cluster. If you like the ambient lighting the c43 has 64 colors while the m340 has 7 but the m340i ambient lighting is more visible and brighter. I’m not sure if it’s because Im bored of c43 but the m340i looks better imo. One side note BMW lease out way better then MB

My brother has a ATS-V and I have a few friends with C63S and M3&M4s. Being here in the north east (NY/NJ) it’s a tough daily car with the rwd, low stance with tons of potholes and massive speed bumps and once the snow comes it’s tire switching time or fish tail your way to your destination. For that reason I choose the M340i, I was considering the E53 AMG coupe but it’s rated at 421hp but lost to the m340i in every performance test, it’s a hybrid which severely compromised the exhaust notes plus they wanted M5 money for it. Once my lease is up once the M340 I’ll look into the M3 since they announced awd that’s the only deterrent I had with it. My drives are usually 15-30 mins so the “harshness” wouldn’t really bother me, for any road trips I’ll be smart enough to rent a car lol.
Appreciate your thoughts on the c43. I've seen many comments - from both consumer and professional - about the c43's harsh ride and it's lack of an appropriately tuned comfort setting. My take is that the m340 really does the jekyll/hyde thing wonderfully in comparison to the benz.

I wonder where I go from the m340. My next ride is most likely 5 years or so down the road and I'm already considering next options (but also very much living in the moment and loving the m340!). Part of me thinks I may look into something like an m5 or e63 given that I'll most likely have a family at that point and will need a more "mature" option (while still maintaining a wild side!). Or maybe I'll be in some electric wonder a la Tesla or Taycan. Fun to think about...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #39
pabrognara
Enlisted Member
Brazil
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C 21/21

Who ever compared m2c to m340i could pls give ur input?

I didnt get a chance to drive 340i but coming from 328im when I test drove 330i felt lack of sportivity I was looking for to replace my 328i. So It led me to think 340i would only be a more powerful car with similar character of 330i which disapointed.
      07-25-2020, 04:28 PM   #40
Casone238
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Appreciate your thoughts on the c43. I've seen many comments - from both consumer and professional - about the c43's harsh ride and it's lack of an appropriately tuned comfort setting. My take is that the m340 really does the jekyll/hyde thing wonderfully in comparison to the benz.

I wonder where I go from the m340. My next ride is most likely 5 years or so down the road and I'm already considering next options (but also very much living in the moment and loving the m340!). Part of me thinks I may look into something like an m5 or e63 given that I'll most likely have a family at that point and will need a more "mature" option (while still maintaining a wild side!). Or maybe I'll be in some electric wonder a la Tesla or Taycan. Fun to think about...
I at first I was set on 2020 C43 coupe but finding the spec I wanted was tough and when I did the dealers where quoting me prices like it was a C63s and the numbers wasn’t even in the ball park to the lease hackr calculator. Then I was forced to look in plan B and once I test drove the M340i (thanks to covid I was alone and was able to choose what route to take and the streets where empty) it completely changed my mind. Not to mention the interior and features in the c43 haven’t changed since the it was introduced as the C450. It’s literally a slightly larger screen, digital cluster, 20ish extra HP and they gave it the twin blade grille

it’s crazy how I probably won’t take delivery on my M340i until sometime mid to late September and I’m already thinking about next possible options 😂😂😂. Where I get lucky at is my GF likes the crossovers and suvs (for some odd reason her fav car is a challenger... slowly I’m changing that) I don’t expect anything to change much in 3 yrs, so if the M3 is adapting the new 4 series grille then I’ll probably go for the M4 coupe and let the lady have the “family” car. If I needed a bigger more mature I’ll probably go with the M550. Toned down from a M but still with enough power to thrill the hooligan in me. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go full electric car even with the tax breaks and the income tax returns you get for it they just feel soulless and with no exhaust note it feels wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #41
3erMan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Following this thread because I'm looking at the possibility of an M340i. I'd be returning to BMW after having sold my e92 335i coupe last year. Two sets of questions for those of you with experience and knowledge on the subjects:

1. My dealer doesn't have an M340i, just the 330i. I've driven that, and it's great. But, my 335i was the N54 engine (which I loved, when it worked), and I have a turbo 4 now, which is OK, but not great. The 330i turbo 4 is very good, but it's just not the same. There aren't any M340i cars near me, and I wouldn't have a chance to test drive one before buying. I can't imagine being disappointed, especially after having enjoyed the 330i on the test drive. Is there anything I should be aware of about the M340i (drivetrain related) that might be a negative surprise? Throttle mapping? Anything?

2. For me, adaptive cruise control and heating steering wheel are must-haves. Other options, I could take them or leave them. Are there any that are so amazingly great that I should insist on them? Any that are gimmicks or simply overrated that aren't worth it, or should be avoided?

Any other general advice?

Signed,

Possibly Returning to BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #42
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarSmell View Post
Following this thread because I'm looking at the possibility of an M340i. I'd be returning to BMW after having sold my e92 335i coupe last year. Two sets of questions for those of you with experience and knowledge on the subjects:

1. My dealer doesn't have an M340i, just the 330i. I've driven that, and it's great. But, my 335i was the N54 engine (which I loved, when it worked), and I have a turbo 4 now, which is OK, but not great. The 330i turbo 4 is very good, but it's just not the same. There aren't any M340i cars near me, and I wouldn't have a chance to test drive one before buying. I can't imagine being disappointed, especially after having enjoyed the 330i on the test drive. Is there anything I should be aware of about the M340i (drivetrain related) that might be a negative surprise? Throttle mapping? Anything?

2. For me, adaptive cruise control and heating steering wheel are must-haves. Other options, I could take them or leave them. Are there any that are so amazingly great that I should insist on them? Any that are gimmicks or simply overrated that aren't worth it, or should be avoided?

Any other general advice?

Signed,

Possibly Returning to BMW
I would absolutely go for the 340 - the b58 is worth the up charge alone IMO. Throw in the LSD, suspension tweaks and other m goodies and I think it’s a no brainer. If the 340 is in the budget, go for it - you won’t be left wondering about the “what if”.

As for options, I think the HUD is a must. I also recommend the H&K sound upgrade. I think the parking assistant package with the surround view is really nice. As for the other driving aids...I’d say you could do without. Wireless charging/connection is awesome. If you live in a dry/warm climate, then I’d opt for the performance tire package - it gets you the Pilot 4s non-rfts which I’m told are great for improved grip and help with ride quality, too.

Happy hunting and hope you find yourself a winner!
Appreciate 1
3erMan153.00
      07-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #43
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Love my M340 and has been a nice upgrade from my F30 335i.

If custom ordered my vehicle but if I could do it over again I'd go for the adaptive suspension and HUD. I love the look of the upgraded headlights but not worth opting for the entire exec package IMO.

If I were going full out I'd also spec the cooling package which gets you bigger brakes and an additional cooling system
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 06:21 AM   #44
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
OldCarSmell ,

I went for my M340 a little over a year ago, retiring my '14 F30 & taking European delivery-- sorry that's no longer available to US customers

If your budget allows it, I heartily recommend getting M340. Originally, my concern was lack of manual trans, but paddles are good. My advice, again budget permitting, is special order (though you'll wait for car, you get exactly what you want) car with:
• Premium pkg (HUD, Heated rear seats & steering wheel)
• Adaptive M Suspension
• Wireless charging (also allows digital key card & phone to be used as key)
• HK sound
• Executive pkg is nice to have because of LED headlights with laser high beams (dubbed down in US) & automatic headlights

While I got a few more goodies, think the above will serve you well

Hope that helps!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
3erMan153.00