Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion 2020 M50D - IAS confusion.

09-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
Adblue
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50D

2020 M50D - IAS confusion.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi,

I've been driving G30 520D Xdrive Touring for past 3 years and I am now about to change to X5 M50D from 2020 (which is the only fun version available where I live).

I like the sound first and foremost and that's pretty much the only reason why I am pushing for this model instead of going for 45e which will cost me 8x less in road tax per year.

I already picked one model that I will purchase and I am bit confused regarding one option it has which I would like to have which is the Integral Active Steering - which means rear axle turns.

Long story short the dealer provided me with 2 documents confirming the spec one being their BMW internal system where it's listed as 2VH Integral Active Steering and the other one which is just a standard PDF document and it's listed there as option 02VH Integral active front steering. Is this the same thing ? I did turn the wheel while parked to see if rear wheels moved but they didn't. I did turn the wheel left and right while driving around 15-20km or so and the car felt very nimble almost like a snake so I would imagine that was it in action. I did ask dealer few time to confirm that it does come with IAS.

So is that just an error in naming ?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

It only moves the rear wheel a few degrees. You may not see it when you are just turning the steering wheel. Check this out
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:36 PM   #3
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

I have IAS and love it. It's helped me avoid an accident from lane changers many times. Nimble is the right word. It's especially great in residentials with lots of turns and intersections to weed through.
      09-18-2021, 01:50 AM   #4
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adblue View Post
Hi,

I've been driving G30 520D Xdrive Touring for past 3 years and I am now about to change to X5 M50D from 2020 (which is the only fun version available where I live).

I like the sound first and foremost and that's pretty much the only reason why I am pushing for this model instead of going for 45e which will cost me 8x less in road tax per year.

I already picked one model that I will purchase and I am bit confused regarding one option it has which I would like to have which is the Integral Active Steering - which means rear axle turns.

Long story short the dealer provided me with 2 documents confirming the spec one being their BMW internal system where it's listed as 2VH Integral Active Steering and the other one which is just a standard PDF document and it's listed there as option 02VH Integral active front steering. Is this the same thing ? I did turn the wheel while parked to see if rear wheels moved but they didn't. I did turn the wheel left and right while driving around 15-20km or so and the car felt very nimble almost like a snake so I would imagine that was it in action. I did ask dealer few time to confirm that it does come with IAS.

So is that just an error in naming ?
IAS rear axle slip angle control is:

- mounted on the rear angle permits a maximum steering angle of the rear wheels of +/- 2.5°
- available from a speed of approximately 5 km/h / 3 mph up to the maximum speed

Slow speed
In the speed range 5 km/h / 3 mph up to approximately 60 km/h / 37 mph, the rear axle slip angle control (HSR) steers in the opposite direction to the steering angles of the front axle steering.

As a result, this permits increased vehicle maneuverability by reducing the turning circle by approximately 1m / 3.28ft in comparison with vehicles without rear axle slip angle control (HSR).

High speed
From the speed range of approximately 60 km/h / 37 mph up to maximum speed, the rear axle slip angle control (HSR) steers in the same direction. This improves the directional stability of the vehicle.

Here's my long IAS on the X5 write up with diagrams, including DSC driving intervention while cornering and different surfaces:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1809008

Appreciate 0