Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions TPMS broken inside tire

10-20-2023, 05:47 PM   #1
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

TPMS broken inside tire

Went to check my tire pressures today and when I attempted to remove my valve stem cap the entire TPMS nut twisted and I heard the sensor drop inside the tire. The tire is flat now (out of air). Planning to remove the tire and take up to the local BMW dealer in the morning. Anyone have this happen before?

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 07:11 PM   #2
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

I haven't encountered this issue, it may be covered under warranty but service may argue it is operator error.

If the nut + threads and the rim are undamaged, it should be a simple fix even if pay out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 07:53 PM   #3
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Yeah no damage on anything. Not sure how it would be operator error unless they claim I'm the Hulk.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 08:52 AM   #4
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Dropped the wheel off at my local BMW dealer & they're charging me $313 for a new TPMS and install. It's not warrantied because the sensor is broken - well no shit.

* just got a call from the service advisor "sorry, the technician says your tire is damaged from being driven on when it was flat so you need a new tire for $455 also".

Me " it wasn't driven on, the sensor broke when the car was in my garage."

Him "oh well they said you need a new tire because the inside sidewall is damaged"

This is the damage they're claiming occurred from the broken TPMS.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.

Last edited by JABCAT; 10-21-2023 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 11:37 AM   #5
AudiDad
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024

^^^. Darn that sounds like a call from Audi where they spin a wheel to determine how much to gouge you for !!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 11:55 AM   #6
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Dropped the wheel off at my local BMW dealer & they're charging me $313 for a new TPMS and install. It's not warrantied because the sensor is broken - well no shit.

* just got a call from the service advisor "sorry, the technician says your tire is damaged from being driven on when it was flat so you need a new tire for $455 also".

Me " it wasn't driven on, the sensor broke when the car was in my garage."

Him "oh well they said you need a new tire because the inside sidewall is damaged"
Unfortunately since the rim and tire are taken off the alternatives are limited.

U can ask for photos of sidewall damage, it may be possible that TPMS was already damaged and didn't trigger low-pressure warning, and the RFT got damaged with low pressure.

Did the wheel hit a curb or pothole or something?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 01:20 PM   #7
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Unfortunately since the rim and tire are taken off the alternatives are limited.

U can ask for photos of sidewall damage, it may be possible that TPMS was already damaged and didn't trigger low-pressure warning, and the RFT got damaged with low pressure.

Did the wheel hit a curb or pothole or something?
No the wheel/tire didn't hit anything. I was checking the pressure on all my tires and the TPMS nut just spun when I tried to remove the valve stem cap. I immediately removed the wheel and took it in this morning.

Here are the pics BMW sent me. I have the car at Discount Tire now and they confirmed the damage was caused by BMW removing the tire from the wheel. They replaced the tire for free. I purchased replacement certificates from them when I purchased the vehicle - I highly recommend everyone do this.

I spoke with Sewell BMW shop foreman - Sam & he was very defensive, claimed I damaged the tire or simply he didn't know how it happened but it definitely didn't happen there this morning. The TPMS also had wrench teeth in the plastic from the tech trying to clamp it to remove the sensor nut. Sam also claimed they didn't do it that I must have somehow reached inside the tire and damaged the sensor.

I asked them to just replace the sensor to which he said was $178 plus tax for the sensor plus $75 install. When I pulled up the sensor price from bmw $119 he said "you can't go into Best Buy and tell them they need to honor Samsung's MSRP on a new tv" these are our markups, you can pay them or leave. We have to mark up parts and labor to provide you with great service" - lol.

Needless to say, I will not be taking either of my BMWs to Sewell BMW- Plano, TX, nor will I purchase another BMW from them.
Attached Images

Last edited by JABCAT; 10-21-2023 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 01:29 PM   #8
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

And another of the tire
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 04:06 PM   #9
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Yeah Americastire/Discount Tire replacement certificates can be quite useful.

I think Americastire can easily install BMW-logo TPMS, or their generic TPMS that works with BMW.

Does your dealership have online parts store? If so, u may try to ask for online price match at the parts desk.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 05:48 PM   #10
Tim 4723
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

That's some terrible customer service and just poor business all round. For them it's just not enought money saved to risk driving away a long term customer.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 07:29 PM   #11
AudiDad
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024

Run as far and as fast as you can from THAT dealership asap !!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 07:31 PM   #12
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 4723 View Post
That's some terrible customer service and just poor business all round. For them it's just not enought money saved to risk driving away a long term customer.
This type of incidents happens at local dealers too, and customers adjust by bringing service business somewhere else, and then return when service improves after those dealers get too many bad reviews.

As far as new/used car sales, customers are usually driven by prices instead of service experience, e.g. 20% off MSRP attracts customers even their service is rated bottom of the pile.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 07:44 PM   #13
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 4723 View Post
I'll be contacting BMW Corporate. I own over $130k worth of their vehicles, I do expect better service than what I received.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 07:54 PM   #14
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
As far as new/used car sales, customers are usually driven by prices instead of service experience, e.g. 20% off MSRP attracts customers even their service is rated bottom of the pile.
Well this dealership has pretty shady car sales tactics as well. I test drove a used M340i there last week and they came back with a trade in offer of $24k for my 330e. When I got up to walk they then came back with $30k, I still said no & they said they follow Kbb values. So I pulled up kbb right in front of them and it said $36k avg trade-in. He then comes back with a print out of 2020 & 2021 330e for sale showing them listed for $30-32k. So I pull up 2022 330e for sale all between $36 - $39k. They just said yeah we're not going to give you $33-34k that I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 02:17 AM   #15
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well this dealership has pretty shady car sales tactics as well. I test drove a used M340i there last week and they came back with a trade in offer of $24k for my 330e. When I got up to walk they then came back with $30k, I still said no & they said they follow Kbb values. So I pulled up kbb right in front of them and it said $36k avg trade-in. He then comes back with a print out of 2020 & 2021 330e for sale showing them listed for $30-32k. So I pull up 2022 330e for sale all between $36 - $39k. They just said yeah we're not going to give you $33-34k that I wanted.
I don't know how used car prices go these days, but it is typical that trade value is $5k-$6k below dealer sales prices, and kbb(and other online resources) can lag behind FMV for a few months.

If u believe in your car's resale value, u can sell it yourself. That is what I usually do with no impact on new car discounts offered to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 07:51 AM   #16
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
I don't know how used car prices go these days, but it is typical that trade value is $5k-$6k below dealer sales prices, and kbb(and other online resources) can lag behind FMV for a few months.

If u believe in your car's resale value, u can sell it yourself. That is what I usually do with no impact on new car discounts offered to me.
I was more mentioning how they first extreme low-balled at $24k, then immediately came up to $30k, and then tried to show me "comps" that were 1-2 years older than mine with more miles. Or for them to say "we use kbb values" then not come anywhere near what kbb says when I pulled it up. Those are shady sales tactics.

When deciding to trade-in or sell privately I look at the entire deal including the sales tax savings for trading in. Here we only pay sales tax on the difference between the sales price of the new car and the trade-in value. So I would've only paid $500 sales tax if I traded vs $2,900. Therefore, I would've had to sell privately for at least $2400 more than the dealers trade offer.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 01:03 PM   #17
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was more mentioning how they first extreme low-balled at $24k, then immediately came up to $30k, and then tried to show me "comps" that were 1-2 years older than mine with more miles. Or for them to say "we use kbb values" then not come anywhere near what kbb says when I pulled it up. Those are shady sales tactics.

When deciding to trade-in or sell privately I look at the entire deal including the sales tax savings for trading in. Here we only pay sales tax on the difference between the sales price of the new car and the trade-in value. So I would've only paid $500 sales tax if I traded vs $2,900. Therefore, I would've had to sell privately for at least $2400 more than the dealers trade offer.
Usually private sales is midway between trade value and dealer sales prices,

E.g. if delta is $6k, private sale can be $3k more than trade. However, if trade already has $3k sales tax savings on the new purchase, there will be no point to sell private.

Since the dealer is aware of the math, they may drop trade value to dip into your tax savings. And kbb trade value likely does not take into account state-specific circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 04:13 PM   #18
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
I'll be contacting BMW Corporate. I own over $130k worth of their vehicles, I do expect better service than what I received.
+1 on this as well as the certs. I usually get Discounts' certs within a week of purchasing the car.

Truly sucks what they did to you.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0