BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Adaptive damper measurements

02-19-2023, 12:15 PM   #1
Jamieb3009
Rep
Drives: BMW G22 4 Series 2021

Adaptive damper measurements

Hello,

In an effort to improve ride of the 4 series over the terrible uk roads I have coded comfort plus. I used the guide on here and coded the following:

* BDC_Body3 > CAFD_7083 > ComfortWorldMode1: changed to comfortplus
*HU_mgu > CAFD_3E52 > FES_COMFORT_PLUS: Set to active
*HU_mgu > CAFD_3E52 > ECO_CONF_STEERING_COMFPLUS: set to active
*HU_mgu > CAFD_3E52 > ECO_CONF_ATTENUATION_COMFPLUS: set to active

The coding all works fine and the comfort plus now shows up when comfort button is pressed and there is the option for comfort plus dampers/steering when in eco pro individual mode

However, I cannot tell any difference in ride quality between comf plus, comfort or sport mode. I have noticed this for a while before and just put it down to the difference between sport and comfort being marginal, however, it feels the same in comfort plus. Using bimmerlink i have looked at damper setpoint signals and although actual matches requested exactly, the damper set point seems to sit just around 10 degrees all the time, sometimes dropping down to zero.

Does anyone else with adaptive damping know if this is normal and if there is anything else that needs coding? There doesn’t appear to be any fault codes stored but in truth I’m not entirely sure how it should be working so can’t make a definitive decision…

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 12:37 PM   #2
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport LCI

Something is not right.

G22b58 posted sometime back that BimmerLink showed the damper set point changed from 10 Deg to 73.5 Deg when switching between Sport and Comfort.

I don't have BimmerLink - so I can't post settings for Sport / Comfort / Comfort Plus - but there is a very significant difference between Sport & Comfort - a more subtle difference between Comfort & Comfort Plus.

Regards, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 10:43 AM   #3
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

I used ProTool to make a log of the damper "Current EDC valve" values while driving in different modes. The unit seems to be different between BimmerLink and ProTool "MA" in ProTool could be mA current perhaps. ProTool also logs each wheel individually. Maybe it helps someone to diagnose.
Drive modes during logging (approx)
2- 4 Comfort
4- 6 Sport Individual with Dampers= Sport
6- 8 Sport Plus
8-10 Adaptive, easy driving
Attached Images

Appreciate 0