Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Center Speaker - disconnect

07-31-2020, 06:28 PM   #1
gaushell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 330i Black

Center Speaker - disconnect

Has anyone disconnected the center speaker on the HiFi system to see if sound improves?

Made a huge improvement on my 2017 F23 230i - removed the ear burning mids and gave better separation.

Was a hot topic on 2 threads. But can't see if same has been tested on the 330.

If so, let me know. thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

I've disconnected it for a week to experiment. I found that the sound stage was too separated to left and right channel. It also completele ruined the sound stage for the passenger.

I have Eton speakers in all doors and in the center channel.

The system is designed to work with a center channel, and simply disconnecting it does not work. You will get a more pronounced left and right channel, but the sound stage will be all over the place. The problem with HiFi system is the low quality amplifier and mids and tweeters. The sound of the factory system is muddy regardless of the center channel.

I have orederd Match UP7BMW plug-n-play amplifier that is schedyled for delivery in the bext few days. This amp has a powerful Helix DSP integrated into it and is designed to produce a great soundstage with advance signal processing. When you also use the DSP to adjust time delays for all speakers you will get the real thing.
Appreciate 0