Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics USB port for music

07-18-2020, 01:15 AM   #1
zxlrxsyxd
veteran
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: Honda CRV & G20 330i M Sport

USB port for music

hi guys! im about to receive my G20 330i next week. im just curious, does the G20 (mine has idrive 7) comes with a USB A port somewhere in the centre console for me to plug in a thumbdrive to play music? thanks in advance
      07-18-2020, 01:19 AM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxlrxsyxd View Post
hi guys! im about to receive my G20 330i next week. im just curious, does the G20 (mine has idrive 7) comes with a USB A port somewhere in the centre console for me to plug in a thumbdrive to play music? thanks in advance
Yes it does. Between the cup holders. The others are all USB C ports (the one in the centre console armrest storage box can be used for data transfer I believe). I bought a pack of USB C to A adapters for the three USB C ports.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 04:16 AM   #3
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Post #2 is correct... Be aware that the car doesn't remember where it left off when you turn the car off and come back later.

It's pretty annoying.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      07-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
Post #2 is correct... Be aware that the car doesn't remember where it left off when you turn the car off and come back later.

It's pretty annoying.
I'm using a usb c adaptor with a memory stick in the arm rest, previously used the cup holder port but was worried about catching it. With reference to the above my car does remember where it left off and starts playback straight away

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:17 AM   #5
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguycalleddb View Post
I'm using a usb c adaptor with a memory stick in the arm rest, previously used the cup holder port but was worried about catching it. With reference to the above my car does remember where it left off and starts playback straight away
Really? How does that work? Is there a setting somewhere that I'm not aware of??

I'm using a brand new San Disk USB3.1 "Ultra Fit" which is really low profile and fits perfectly in the cup holder USB. I wonder why the car wont' remember where it left off? Right now I use the #1 shortcut button to go to Songs and #2 to shuffle. It always starts up on the same song... a really ridiculous cover of Ginuwine's Pony done by the now defunct "post-emo/hardcore" band, Far.

I guess I need to do some testing on other USB drives...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #6
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
Quote:
Really? How does that work? Is there a setting somewhere that I'm not aware of??

I'm using a brand new San Disk USB3.1 "Ultra Fit" which is really low profile and fits perfectly in the cup holder USB. I wonder why the car wont' remember where it left off? Right now I use the #1 shortcut button to go to Songs and #2 to shuffle. It always starts up on the same song... a really ridiculous cover of Ginuwine's Pony done by the now defunct "post-emo/hardcore" band, Far.

I guess I need to do some testing on other USB drives...
I'm using a scan disk too, not sure which one, just the small red one.

Don't do anything special just select usb from the menu and that's it, remembers if it's on shuffle and starts back on the song that was playing.

My music is a direct rip from my old iTunes folder just copied straight to the stick

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 03:35 AM   #7
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Wow... that's bizarre. I definitely need to do some experimenting.

How many GB is your USB? I'm using a 64 currently.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
YoungunG20
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i M-Sport

I'm having issues with my USB Stick for Music.
Its a 32gb drive which is 95% full. After a little delay I presumming loading the track titles etc, I could see all the artists and cover art etc.

But when I go to play a track it doesn't play! No sound or anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 03:33 PM   #9
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungunG20 View Post
I'm having issues with my USB Stick for Music.
Its a 32gb drive which is 95% full. After a little delay I presumming loading the track titles etc, I could see all the artists and cover art etc.

But when I go to play a track it doesn't play! No sound or anything.
What format music are you using?

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #10
YoungunG20
Rep

Quote:
What format music are you using?
The majority are MP3's (certainly the ones I was trying to play), but there are few other formats on the stick.

However today I found that the same tracks/albums could be imported on to the cars HDD, and they would play fine.

I then took another USB stick filled with music (albeit 16GB) and they played 1st time.

So I have ordered a new 64gb USB stick and will transfer my music to that, to see if that works.

Strange really as the car could see the tracks, artists, playlists, album art but just wouldn't play the songs. And this is a USB stick I have used without issues in loads of cars.

Next problem to workout why the car can't see my text messages from my Samsung s8.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #11
YoungunG20
Rep

Quote:
The majority are MP3's (certainly the ones I was trying to play), but there are few other formats on the stick.

However today I found that the same tracks/albums could be imported on to the cars HDD, and they would play fine.

I then took another USB stick filled with music (albeit 16GB) and they played 1st time.

So I have ordered a new 64gb USB stick and will transfer my music to that, to see if that works.

Strange really as the car could see the tracks, artists, playlists, album art but just wouldn't play the songs. And this is a USB stick I have used without issues in loads of cars.

Next problem to workout why the car can't see my text messages from my Samsung s8.
Well I ordered a new SanDisk Ultra Fit 64GB stick, copied the same files (all 30gb of them!) to the new stick, and it works in the car first time!

Happy Days
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #12
YoungunG20
Rep

Quote:
Well I ordered a new SanDisk Ultra Fit 64GB stick, copied the same files (all 30gb of them!) to the new stick, and it works in the car first time!

Happy Days
Well the happy days didn't last very long.

I've now realised that whenever I restart the car, the USB starts playing the first song on the USB stick.

In my case a track from the band 'Air', so obviosuly sorted alphabetically.

I saw some other reports of this, both with the same model USB stick.
Maybe I need another USB stick, 3rd time lucky?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

Quote:
Well the happy days didn't last very long.

I've now realised that whenever I restart the car, the USB starts playing the first song on the USB stick.

In my case a track from the band 'Air', so obviosuly sorted alphabetically.

I saw some other reports of this, both with the same model USB stick.
Maybe I need another USB stick, 3rd time lucky?
Don't have my car close to me so Im speaking from memory, but have you tried changing the settings to shuffle in the music menu? That should not reset when you restart the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 03:00 AM   #14
Jankebek
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 320

Does anyone knows if the USB C has Power Delivery PD?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #15
YoungunG20
Rep

After some more testing I confirmed my issue with music restarting with the 1st track when you start the car is due to the USB Stick.

It appears I'm not the first person to report the same issue with the 'SanDisk Ultra Fit 64GB USB'.

I'm now using a Kingston (few years old) USB stick and now longer have any issues.

So in summary the G20 iDrive system appears a little sensitive to which USB sticks it will play with.
My first USB stick (cheapy ebay special that Ive been using for years) I could see the tracks but they wouldnt play.
The Sandisk Ultra Fit (brand new) would play, but would always reset to the 1st track on the stick.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 02:57 PM   #16
BigWagonFan
Private
Rep
Drives: G21 330i xDrive

Quote:
So in summary the G20 iDrive system appears a little sensitive to which USB sticks it will play with.
My first USB stick (cheapy ebay special that Ive been using for years) I could see the tracks but they wouldnt play.
The Sandisk Ultra Fit (brand new) would play, but would always reset to the 1st track on the stick.
Do both your USB sticks use the same filesystem? Which one(s)?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #17
YoungunG20
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWagonFan View Post
Do both your USB sticks use the same filesystem? Which one(s)?
All my USB sticks were set to exFAT.
I tried NTFS but that didn't make any difference.

So the Kingston USB stick which is now working and contains 30GB of music, is configured as exFAT.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #18
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

Very strange, I have the exact same sandisk ultra and I have no issues with the music. It resumes at the exact same point where it was and it is in the usb in the charging tray.
However my car LITERALLY killed my first sandisk ultra, recorded 80gb of music on it, put it in the car and the usb died, had to get it replaced and now I have no issue, so something is definitely wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #19
warvidson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

Having similar issues with SanDisk UltraFit

I had originally used an older Samsung Fit Plus 256GB drive and it worked the first day. I then called our local BMW Genius to see how to download the data (vs. just the meta data) to the car's HDD and after multiple tries, including reformatting, reformatting as an NTFS volume, changing volume names after re-formatting, and re-copying my music library to the USB stick, the other Genius at the dealer informed me that the feature went away in the 2021 models.

Since I couldn't get the original USB stick to work, and based on how much music I actually had, I purchased a 128Gb Samsung Fit Plus (USB 3.1) and low-level formatted it, then loaded my music library to it. I went out to the car and after a few minutes, perfection.

The next day, when I took the car out, it could only see the same 5 artists and albums as the original drive did, and no longer let me search by folder. I tried reseating the drive, soft resetting the computer multiple times, changing the volume name on the drive, all to no avail. The dealership has now asked me to bring the vehicle in.

I'll try reformatting (low level) the new stick one time, use a different volume name, and copy the files back over and see what happens. After that, I'll see what the dealer comes up with and report back.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #20
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Do you have more than 16000 files (that my operating manual says is the maximum for each USB device).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 03:53 AM   #21
warvidson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
Do you have more than 16000 files (that my operating manual says is the maximum for each USB device).
No, I have just over 12k files on the drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #22
mhannis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
I got the Crucial X6 1TB Portable SSD and that worked for me out of the box with no reformatting. I have about 700gb of FLAC files. When the car starts it continues playing where you left off. MY22 here.
Appreciate 0