12-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

G20 330i RWD 18" tire pressure question

Hey guys,

I know this has been discussed to death but wanted your opinion on my stock 330i RWD with 18 inch Pirpelli P7 runflats(not my fav tire).

BMW door sticker recommends 32 front 38 rear. Front seems too low no?

Would it be okay to 38 all around? or 36 front 38 rear? I am looking for crisper handling and steering but dont want to sacrifice on grip level. Will raising the PSI on the front cost me grip?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

For anyone who is interested-ended up doing my own research with the following combos:

32F/38R: Steering felt heavier but it didn't feel as quick or crisp. Grip was great and tires did not squeal under hard cornering as much. Felt like I could take corners fairly hard without worrying about oversteer. I felt like i would know well before i pushed the grip limit. This is why BMW recommends this pressure. Their #1 goal is safety and preventing oversteer/spin outs is more important than steering feel.

38F/38R: Steering felt a bit quicker and turn in was crisp and quick. Great steering feel but I felt like i sacrificed some grip b/c of the added front pressure(less contact patch up front) Tires squealed more under hard cornering and could sense an oversteer situation possible without much warning or notice. Also-car felt darty at high speeds bc of the crisp steering/smaller contact patch of front tires.

35F/38R: This is why i ultimately settled on. Seemed like the best compromise of steering feel and grip. Steering was not too crisp but not too lazy either and car felt grippy and still less likely to go into an uncontrolled oversteer situation without an adequate warning.

I realized that there is no magic perfect pressure combo. It really depends on what you prefer and are looking for in terms of grip was steering feel.
Appreciate 0