Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Mission Performance Presents World's First Tuning Solution For G20 M340i.

Closed Thread

02-12-2020, 02:46 AM   #155
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpina D5S

After all the process I've finally got my car tuned.

Had to send the ECU to Alex, as European version cars were not remotely unlockable.

First impressions after a 20 km test. This thing is a beast now. I sold my F80 competition and got the m340i in November. My objective with the tune was to get it performance wise a little close to the M3, and have to say that my M3 was no were as fast as the m340i with the Mission stage 2. I had the 6mt M3.

I got the burble mode, and love it. It just comes when in sport and sport plus, and I love that I can control it just switching back to comfort mode.

Alex was very responsive and always picked up the phone when I had doubts an helped with everything, definitely full recommend.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:21 AM   #156
Dima_RUS_M340iX
Russia
Rep
Drives: M340iX_2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkSinatra View Post
After all the process I've finally got my car tuned.

Had to send the ECU to Alex, as European version cars were not unlockable remotely.

First impressions after a 20 km test. This thing is a beast now. I sold my F80 competition and got the m340i in November. My objective with the tune was to get it performance wise a little close to the M3, and have to say that my M3 was no were as fast as the m340i with the Mission stage 2. I had the 6mt M3.

I got the burble mode, and love it. It just comes when in sport and sport plus, and I love that I can control it just switching back to Confort mode.

Alex was very responsive and always picked up the phone when I had doubts an helped withe everything, definitely full recommend.
Super. You are pleased with the good news.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 05:17 AM   #157
mholder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Black, mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
Once again information has been taken out of context quite a bit. The initial flash that came on M340i (the flash that was loaded at the production line, before the first cars even hit the showrooms) had a much higher output then stated by BMW. Think of it as a MPPSK version of m340i.

Dealers were issued a bulletin to update their inventory vehicles, so 99.5% of M340s that were sold/delivered, already had a 'Proper" calibration installed. Only reason I even learned about this move was due to our connection at the dealer telling me that the car I was picking up didn't have the "mandated" update on it. This raised a small flag to me so the first thing I did was run few tests of the first "pre-official" firmware version for G20 and compared it to later version. Only the "pre official" (or whatever you want to call it) version has shown a MUCH higher power increase compared to all subsequent updates.

We try our best to use the well known/trusted dyno that reads on the lower side, providing the most honest results. This specific dyno read 294whp on a stock 2016 340i followed by 338whp for the 2020 M340i. Those numbers, accounting for basic error, are exactly what those cars are advertised to produce. We can easily bring a stock M340i to a different dyno that we know of locally, and you will see a number north of 370whp stock and over 450whp on Stage 1, but what is the point? Those are not accurate numbers. As an experienced engine builder and tuner, I have learned one thing over years: Dyno numbers are worthless and you will never win a fight against science. In basic terms, engine's power output is directly proportionate to the oxygen it consumes. A stock M340i consumes 1040kg/h of oxygen, which using a basic formula translates to 38.2lb/min, or 382hp at the crank. Plain and simple, so don't try and fight science as you will lose.

So to summarize: M340i is still one hell of a fast car from the factory and is much faster then 340i. If you are one of the lucky ones to have first production firmware still on your car, then you are experiencing something that will be officially released as MPPSK for this chassis by BMW. So there is nothing to complain about as BMW has delivered exactly why you have paid for.
Mission, I know this is a little off topic but I am the owner of a 2017 340i mSport on 19" wheels on rft with MPPSK, M Performance Brake, M performance Suspension, M Performance LSD and Dinan Carbon Fiber CAI. While some of the last series of mods were being installed I had an M340i loaner for 3 weeks. While driving it I marveled at how much faster it was and how the handling was so much crisper over my 340i with just the mppsk, and the Big brake kit. Once I got my fully modified 340i back with the CAI, Mperformance suspension and LSD it seems to me that my car is just as fast or possibly faster and handles almost as crisp (I think the added 25% more body rigidity on the M340i accounts for less body lean) as the M340i. I would be curious to know what the BHP/Torque at the crank as well as the WHP/Torque at the wheels, that I actually have on my 340i with MPPSK + CAI. I know what BMW and Dinan advertise but as you and most others know, those figures don't amount to a hill of beans. PS: I know the rft's lol! I'm patiently waiting for the Bridgestone s001rft's to wear out before I switch to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s non runflats.

Last edited by mholder; 02-29-2020 at 05:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #158
ryivnx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5Comp, E46M3 6MT, 328d, M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
Once again information has been taken out of context quite a bit. The initial flash that came on M340i (the flash that was loaded at the production line, before the first cars even hit the showrooms) had a much higher output then stated by BMW. Think of it as a MPPSK version of m340i.

Dealers were issued a bulletin to update their inventory vehicles, so 99.5% of M340s that were sold/delivered, already had a 'Proper" calibration installed. Only reason I even learned about this move was due to our connection at the dealer telling me that the car I was picking up didn't have the "mandated" update on it. This raised a small flag to me so the first thing I did was run few tests of the first "pre-official" firmware version for G20 and compared it to later version. Only the "pre official" (or whatever you want to call it) version has shown a MUCH higher power increase compared to all subsequent updates.

We try our best to use the well known/trusted dyno that reads on the lower side, providing the most honest results. This specific dyno read 294whp on a stock 2016 340i followed by 338whp for the 2020 M340i. Those numbers, accounting for basic error, are exactly what those cars are advertised to produce. We can easily bring a stock M340i to a different dyno that we know of locally, and you will see a number north of 370whp stock and over 450whp on Stage 1, but what is the point? Those are not accurate numbers. As an experienced engine builder and tuner, I have learned one thing over years: Dyno numbers are worthless and you will never win a fight against science. In basic terms, engine's power output is directly proportionate to the oxygen it consumes. A stock M340i consumes 1040kg/h of oxygen, which using a basic formula translates to 38.2lb/min, or 382hp at the crank. Plain and simple, so don't try and fight science as you will lose.

So to summarize: M340i is still one hell of a fast car from the factory and is much faster then 340i. If you are one of the lucky ones to have first production firmware still on your car, then you are experiencing something that will be officially released as MPPSK for this chassis by BMW. So there is nothing to complain about as BMW has delivered exactly why you have paid for.
Mission, I know this is a little off topic but I am the owner of a 2017 340i mSport on 19" wheels on rft with MPPSK, M Performance Brake, M performance Suspension, M Performance LSD and Dinan Carbon Fiber CAI. While some of the last series of mods were being installed I had an M340i loaner for 3 weeks. While driving it I marveled at how much faster it was and how the handling was so much crisper over my 340i with just the mppsk, and the Big brake kit. Once I got my fully modified 340i back with the CAI, Mperformance suspension and LSD it seems to me that my car is just as fast or possibly faster and handles almost as crisp (I think the added 25% more body rigidity on the M340i accounts for less body lean) as the M340i. I would be curious to know what the BHP/Torque at the crank as well as the WHP/Torque at the wheels, that I actually have on my 340i with MPPSK + CAI. I know what BMW and Dinan advertise but as you and most others know, those figures don't amount to a hill of beans. PS: I know the rft's lol! I'm patiently waiting for the Bridgestone s001rft's to wear out before I switch to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s non runflats.
I think you would find out how much power you have by visiting a dyno.
If you live in SoCal, I can recommend a few very nice places that will answer that question for $125 for 3 runs
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #159
Akppka
Rep
Drives: bmw m340

Alex, is there any chance you can do stage 1 BEF via MHD or BM3?

I am from EU, so sending ECU is a no-go for me (e.g. if something goes wrong the car is grounded for a considerable amount of time, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #160
boosted
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i x-drive 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akppka View Post
Alex, is there any chance you can do stage 1 BEF via MHD or BM3?

I am from EU, so sending ECU is a no-go for me (e.g. if something goes wrong the car is grounded for a considerable amount of time, etc.)
It doesn't make any sense as MP is using his own tools and skills.
Your best bet, is wait until MHD or Bootmod will be available or go with AA (Active Autowerke). See info here.

2018 340i x-drive 8AT - MP (Mission Performance) stg 3 DME tune, Xhp stg 3 EGS tune, catted AA downpipe, NGK plugs, E30 blend - 11.4@120mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #161
boosted
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i x-drive 8AT

MP tune

2018 340i x-drive 8AT - MP (Mission Performance) stg 3 DME tune, Xhp stg 3 EGS tune, catted AA downpipe, NGK plugs, E30 blend - 11.4@120mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:18 PM   #162
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

I don't assume anyone has the slightest idea of when the other tuners (MP, PTF) might unlock OBD flashing again? Isn't the case usually that one tuner figures out the unlock and sells or licenses it to the others?

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:35 PM   #163
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

New to all things tuning - Can anyone help me understand why tuners can bypass the lock if they have Ecu or car in front of them? What is the difference between the two methods, and isn’t bmw smart enough to implement the same level of protections as they’ve done over obd?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:49 AM   #164
Alexey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340

Did anyone take a measurement 0-60, 60-130 with MP?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #165
Voodoo_G80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey View Post
Did anyone take a measurement 0-60, 60-130 with MP?
0-60 3.5 sec
Appreciate 1
chenry2354.50
      04-08-2020, 10:23 PM   #166
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTanks52 View Post
New to all things tuning - Can anyone help me understand why tuners can bypass the lock if they have Ecu or car in front of them? What is the difference between the two methods, and isn’t bmw smart enough to implement the same level of protections as they’ve done over obd?
Good question. I also wonder if the new Supra’s ECU is easier to work with. It’s seems like more people are tuning Supras so does that mean Toyota didn’t lock the ECU like BMW?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #167
rd.m340x
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive / 1999 Porsch

I am between getting a JB4 for my Xdrive M340i or tuning it with Mission Performance, but I am confused, I am in Florida, is there a way I can tune my car from the OBD port or I have to send my computer? Also if the remotely tuning is available, is it a One fit All tune, or they fine tune it remotely also with logs?. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:15 PM   #168
ryivnx
Private First Class
Rep

Can anyone share long term impressions on stage 2 MP tune?
Any issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:50 PM   #169
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryivnx View Post
Any issues?
**disclaimer I have been tuned by Burger, Dinan, and AA in the past and they are all great. However after so so many BMWs and cars in general (including lifted suburban’s, muscle cars and trucks) at 48 – I am presently an MP fanguy** I’m not taking anything away from any other tuner – hats off to all of them!

I have run the MP Stage 2 on my 2017 340 for about 2 years and 20k miles. And I look forward to transferring my tune to my M340 when I can get my hands on a 2021 (or maybe a 2020 if I can find what I want)

I have beat the poop out of my car in BCCA AutoX events and canyon runs with a local BMW SoCal car club – I am not kind to my car - the car has never skipped a beat and just keeps asking for more. Keep in mind Toyota USA chose Mission Performance to tune their Supra (just mention that to explain how good Alex is)

In California we only have access to 91 and I typically run a little E85 in my tank to get the octane up a bit, it’s local to me and it’s easy – and the car is just ridiculously good – like your stock car but on steroids. And if I don’t want to bother with E85 (kids soccer weekends – leaving me in an area without e85) I just dump 91 in the tank and away I go. Tune doesn’t care – however I wouldn’t AutoX or go all out with a stage 2 tune and 91 octane – just my 2-cents

All that aside – call Alex (yes he answers the phone and talks to his customers) he will answer all your questions and if nothing else you’ll probably make a friend – the dude (yes I’m from Cali) will impress you – that I’m sure of ��

ps- I just noticed you are in Riverside - so is Alex (well Rancho C - but close enough) ! You have a global tuner in your backyard - I would suggest you take advantage of that!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 12:58 AM   #170
ryivnx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:
Any issues?
**disclaimer I have been tuned by Burger, Dinan, and AA in the past and they are all great. However after so so many BMWs and cars in general (including lifted suburban's, muscle cars and trucks) at 48 – I am presently an MP fanguy** I'm not taking anything away from any other tuner – hats off to all of them!

I have run the MP Stage 2 on my 2017 340 for about 2 years and 20k miles. And I look forward to transferring my tune to my M340 when I can get my hands on a 2021 (or maybe a 2020 if I can find what I want)

I have beat the poop out of my car in BCCA AutoX events and canyon runs with a local BMW SoCal car club – I am not kind to my car - the car has never skipped a beat and just keeps asking for more. Keep in mind Toyota USA chose Mission Performance to tune their Supra (just mention that to explain how good Alex is)

In California we only have access to 91 and I typically run a little E85 in my tank to get the octane up a bit, it's local to me and it's easy – and the car is just ridiculously good – like your stock car but on steroids. And if I don't want to bother with E85 (kids soccer weekends – leaving me in an area without e85) I just dump 91 in the tank and away I go. Tune doesn't care – however I wouldn't AutoX or go all out with a stage 2 tune and 91 octane – just my 2-cents

All that aside – call Alex (yes he answers the phone and talks to his customers) he will answer all your questions and if nothing else you'll probably make a friend – the dude (yes I'm from Cali) will impress you – that I'm sure of ��

ps- I just noticed you are in Riverside - so is Alex (well Rancho C - but close enough) ! You have a global tuner in your backyard - I would suggest you take advantage of that!
I've had MP tune on my other car (was a stage 1 on a Diesel engine) and had no issues with it for 30k miles and almost two years which is reassuring.
I'm just wondering whether stage 2 on B58 is a good idea on 91 gas and daily driving.
I don't push my car to the limits all the time and do a lot of highway cruising. I do step on it daily for fun tho.
It would be annoying to keep adding e85 all the time for stage 2 to be safe tho.
My M3 is on E85 already and although it accepts any blend, I do find it annoying driving to a specific gas station
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:43 AM   #171
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd.m340x View Post
I am between getting a JB4 for my Xdrive M340i or tuning it with Mission Performance, but I am confused, I am in Florida, is there a way I can tune my car from the OBD port or I have to send my computer? Also if the remotely tuning is available, is it a One fit All tune, or they fine tune it remotely also with logs?. Thanks!
You would have to remove the ECU from the vehicle and send it in to Mission. Unless the software version in your car is from November of 2019 or earlier, then you can tune over OBD. I was in the same boat, ended up going JB4 until Mission or PTF has OBD tuning available. I didn't really consider AA even though they are in FL, as I had a very bad experience with them in the past.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #172
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:
Any issues?
**disclaimer I have been tuned by Burger, Dinan, and AA in the past and they are all great. However after so so many BMWs and cars in general (including lifted suburban's, muscle cars and trucks) at 48 – I am presently an MP fanguy** I'm not taking anything away from any other tuner – hats off to all of them!

In California we only have access to 91 and I typically run a little E85 in my tank to get the octane up a bit, it's local to me and it's easy – and the car is just ridiculously good – like your stock car but on steroids. And if I don't want to bother with E85 (kids soccer weekends – leaving me in an area without e85) I just dump 91 in the tank and away I go. Tune doesn't care – however I wouldn't AutoX or go all out with a stage 2 tune and 91 octane – just my 2-cents

All that aside – call Alex (yes he answers the phone and talks to his customers) he will answer all your questions and if nothing else you'll probably make a friend – the dude (yes I'm from Cali) will impress you – that I'm sure of ��

I've had MP tune on my other car (was a stage 1 on a Diesel engine) and had no issues with it for 30k miles and almost two years which is reassuring.
I'm just wondering whether stage 2 on B58 is a good idea on 91 gas and daily driving.
I don't push my car to the limits all the time and do a lot of highway cruising. I do step on it daily for fun tho.
It would be annoying to keep adding e85 all the time for stage 2 to be safe tho.
My M3 is on E85 already and although it accepts any blend, I do find it annoying driving to a specific gas station
Okay understood - you're not new to all this :-) So maybe i wasn't much help (ha)

FYI....Not sure if there is an up-charge or if its a standard offering but local friend of mine is running a MP Stage 2 that is specific to our 91 crap gas. If you give Alex a call please let us know what you find out.

ps- aren't tuned diesels fun! One of my all around most enjoyable BMWs was a 335D Msport.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #173
rd.m340x
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive / 1999 Porsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
You would have to remove the ECU from the vehicle and send it in to Mission. Unless the software version in your car is from November of 2019 or earlier, then you can tune over OBD. I was in the same boat, ended up going JB4 until Mission or PTF has OBD tuning available. I didn't really consider AA even though they are in FL, as I had a very bad experience with them in the past.
I was considering also AA, but I have a doubt, on MP web, there is an option for EEPROM Memory backup

Here is the description:

"**EEPROM area holds security keys, error memory, performance statistics and other vital infomation that is used by dealers during diagnostic. We have unique ways that allow us to be the only company on the market to offer our clients a full backup of the un-modified EEPROM area over OBD2 port. This data is stored on our servers and can be used by us to flash it back to the computer on the bench at our facility. The customer can also request this data to be transfered to them if they prefer to use their own shop of choice to have this data written back in."

Does that means that if engine failure would happen, I can send MP my ECU get it Flash back to EEPROM Full to stock?

Does that means that BMW wouldn't be able to tell ECU was tuned?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 05:20 PM   #174
ryivnx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd.m340x View Post
I was considering also AA, but I have a doubt, on MP web, there is an option for EEPROM Memory backup

Here is the description:

"**EEPROM area holds security keys, error memory, performance statistics and other vital infomation that is used by dealers during diagnostic. We have unique ways that allow us to be the only company on the market to offer our clients a full backup of the un-modified EEPROM area over OBD2 port. This data is stored on our servers and can be used by us to flash it back to the computer on the bench at our facility. The customer can also request this data to be transfered to them if they prefer to use their own shop of choice to have this data written back in."

Does that means that if engine failure would happen, I can send MP my ECU get it Flash back to EEPROM Full to stock?

Does that means that BMW wouldn't be able to tell ECU was tuned?
from what I understand it helps to restore the car back to factory and should be more difficult to tell that it was making more power, however, there are other systems (which ones I dont know) that can be interrogated and if one digs long enough, they will know youve been tuned.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 05:21 PM   #175
ryivnx
Private First Class
Rep

I am going to give MP a go and try Stage II

Those of you who are tuned, do you run NGK Irridium 94201 plugs? Or did you gap the stock plugs to 0.025" ?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 06:15 PM   #176
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

If I was local to Mission, I would too.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread