Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications [B48] Bootmod3 Stage 1 w/ 93 Octane on G20 First Impressions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2020, 02:10 PM   #133
Razor2010
Private First Class
28
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bahamas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Iíll try to find out. One of my cousins knows a few people who run JB+ and JB4 there without issues. Iíll get back to you. But Iím willing to bet theyíre running 95 or 98 RON since fuel is cheap there. Iíll confirm and get back.
Cheers man.

Hopefully itís 95 RON

Last edited by Razor2010; 01-15-2020 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #134
vivisterist
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: bmw f30
Join Date: May 2018
Location: trinidad

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor2010 View Post
Thanks for the reply LJ. Not sure itís wise I mess with that with only 91 AKI fuel and very hot and humid weather, sounds like a recipe for knock and detonation.
Why does this sound like Trinidad?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 06:21 AM   #135
AustraliaG20
New Member
11
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 3 series
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Canberra

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor2010 View Post
Also, still searching for the stock boost on a 2020 non-USA spec 330i, no luck yet. I would guess with the compression somewhere around 15 psi?
I put mine on the dyno a couple of weeks ago. It was 20psi (at 600m above sea level)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #136
Razor2010
Private First Class
28
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bahamas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
I put mine on the dyno a couple of weeks ago. It was 20psi (at 600m above sea level)
Wow, quite high, thank you.

100% stock?

What RON octane gas?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 01:26 AM   #137
AustraliaG20
New Member
11
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 3 series
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Canberra

iTrader: (0)

Completely stock. It requires 95 RON, but I only run 98 RON. I was also surprised by how high it was (even confirmed the number didn't include atmospheric pressure), especially since it gets increased by all the chips / mods etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:09 AM   #138
Razor2010
Private First Class
28
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bahamas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
Completely stock. It requires 95 RON, but I only run 98 RON. I was also surprised by how high it was (even confirmed the number didn't include atmospheric pressure), especially since it gets increased by all the chips / mods etc.

Yea, I would be very nervous adding boost with an aftermarket device to where it could be upwards of of 23 PSI+ without some serious visual knock detection, high octane fuel and perfect mapping. Throw hot climate in there and this all seems like a recipe for disaster.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #139
AustraliaG20
New Member
11
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 3 series
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Canberra

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor2010 View Post
Yea, I would be very nervous adding boost with an aftermarket device to where it could be upwards of of 23 PSI+ without some serious visual knock detection, high octane fuel and perfect mapping. Throw hot climate in there and this all seems like a recipe for disaster.
Indeed. I have another thread about it. But I had a TDI Tuning chip in it, and was testing different setups (stock, different maps etc) to ensure it was as safe as possible. It was over 43 deg C that day too...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:39 PM   #140
Razor2010
Private First Class
28
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bahamas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
Indeed. I have another thread about it. But I had a TDI Tuning chip in it, and was testing different setups (stock, different maps etc) to ensure it was as safe as possible. It was over 43 deg C that day too...
Just re-read your thread. Wonder if it is an actual TDI product fault or if your car was just protecting itself, sensed knock or possibly detonation and pulled timing and boost and dumped a bunch of fuel to cool things off.

There is no free lunch out there, 2.0 litre engine (non-race car internal build), with pretty high compression, smaller turbo to bring boost on early, running 95-98 octane in high ambient temperatures and high boost (20 psi), fairly lean for good gas mileage, has to be on the brink for long term reliability at 255 BHP and 295 TQ.

One thing that was interesting is that the stock wheel HP was 240 on a supposedly low reading dyno, means the stock real BHP is more than the advertised 255, no?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #141
AustraliaG20
New Member
11
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 3 series
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Canberra

iTrader: (0)

Your thinking is exactly like mine... basically lots of questions and I honestly don't have the answer. I'll get a new box back, I'll put it in and see if there is a difference. I had the box since July and it never really felt like it worked properly, so I'm leaning towards fault in the box / map. But yea; I'll know more when I get another one, and a higher model that allows remote map updates etc. I can't complain about the service from TDI and they're adamant it should perform better.

I was surprised about the stock power readings at the wheels. But having had similar cars (2L turbo etc) it feels (butt dyno) like the readings are about right to be honest... and BMW have under rated the power. It's worth noting that I have the launch edition with a build date of 11/2018 - seems like the earlier models might have been a bit different.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:31 PM   #142
Razor2010
Private First Class
28
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bahamas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
Your thinking is exactly like mine... basically lots of questions and I honestly don't have the answer. I'll get a new box back, I'll put it in and see if there is a difference. I had the box since July and it never really felt like it worked properly, so I'm leaning towards fault in the box / map. But yea; I'll know more when I get another one, and a higher model that allows remote map updates etc. I can't complain about the service from TDI and they're adamant it should perform better.

I was surprised about the stock power readings at the wheels. But having had similar cars (2L turbo etc) it feels (butt dyno) like the readings are about right to be honest... and BMW have under rated the power. It's worth noting that I have the launch edition with a build date of 11/2018 - seems like the earlier models might have been a bit different.
I use to have a JDM RHD Sti7 bugeye with the 6 speed manual. Think it was claimed 276 bhp and similar TQ. Car weighed roughly 3,200 lbs. and was meant to run on 100 RON so I had it re-mapped for lower 95 RON along with changing to a fully decatted exhaust from the turbo back. I would imagine that with the safer remapp for 95 RON and free flowing exhaust it probably ended up back to about stock levels net. My 2020 330i with no-moonroof, M-Sport package and M-LSD is on a boat from Germany and should be arriving mid-March. With the no-moonroof option I am hoping it will be closer to 3,400 lbs. So curious how the 330i will feel in comparison to my old Sti7. I would imagine they will feel pretty close acceleration wise. Sti turbo didnít kick in until about 3.8k rpms but had a redline at 8k. I am hoping the 330i is much more fun to drive around town with boost kicking in below 2k rpms. Really hoping the extra 200 lbs.+ of weight isnít too noticeable. I know there are a lot of Sti7s down in Oz, you ever drive a Sti7 JDM spec?

What do you mean about the early build date, are they rumored to be higher rated from factory than recent builds?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:08 PM   #143
sspdw
Private
44
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: bmw m140
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
I put mine on the dyno a couple of weeks ago. It was 20psi (at 600m above sea level)
What was your ambient temperature? The boost gets much higher in very warm temperature. I would guess boost is 15-20 depending on temps.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #144
Razor2010
Private First Class
28
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bahamas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspdw View Post
What was your ambient temperature? The boost gets much higher in very warm temperature. I would guess boost is 15-20 depending on temps.
If you look at his TDI thread I think it was 95íF+ ambient temps!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #145
AustraliaG20
New Member
11
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 3 series
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Canberra

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor2010 View Post
If you look at his TDI thread I think it was 95íF+ ambient temps!
I did the conversion in the thread, but it was more like 110' F - I did mention it was the worst possible day to put it on a dyno.

Not driven the JDM or even that model STi, interested to see what you think.

Now the fires have died down and the temperature isn't horrific, I'll put the new chip in and run it again in a couple of weeks (after it arrives).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:58 PM   #146
Razor2010
Private First Class
28
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bahamas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
I did the conversion in the thread, but it was more like 110' F - I did mention it was the worst possible day to put it on a dyno.

Not driven the JDM or even that model STi, interested to see what you think.

Now the fires have died down and the temperature isn't horrific, I'll put the new chip in and run it again in a couple of weeks (after it arrives).
By JDM I meant the Japanese spec, Subaru WRX Sti7 as picture below:
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:47 PM   #147
claudioagmfilho
New Member
Brazil
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: BMW 320i M sport
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: RECIFE

iTrader: (0)

Here in Brasil people are tuning their g20s at a place called armada performance and others as well, quoting gains of about 350 hp and 50 nm torque for the 330i M sport.
Is there anyone one now that we can truly tune a 20?
__________________
BMW, just pleasure to drive...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 10:53 PM   #148
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
VipinLJ's Avatar
United_States
187
Rep
689
Posts

Drives: Ď20 330i,Ď16 X3,Ď18 SQ5,Ď17 A7
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudioagmfilho View Post
Here in Brasil people are tuning their g20s at a place called armada performance and others as well, quoting gains of about 350 hp and 50 nm torque for the 330i M sport.
Is there anyone one now that we can truly tune a 20?
Iíve seen companies in Russia and Europe too that have been tuning G20 330is to 300+hp on stage 1 (only software; no hardware mods). I wish some of those people would join this forum and give us their insights.
__________________
Current:
2020 BMW 330i xDrive
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
2016 BMW X3 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST