Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics How to Set up BMW Connected Music in the US

02-07-2020, 01:39 PM   #23
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
BMW Connected Music and the BMW APPs Spotify are two different things, you're conflating the two.

BMW Connected Music is not available in North America, it's only currently available in European regions where you have to pay an addition annual fee and you're then able to stream music, from specific music APPs, using the vehicle in-vehicle data connection.

BMW APPs is what you just added to your vehicle, allows you use your phone's data to stream music, via the vehicle's APP interface, without loading CarPlay, as previous F-Series, non-CarPlay iDrives used to allow.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/01/29/b...ming-solution/
BMW NA refers to this as Connected Music

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #24
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Quote:
BMW Connected Music and the BMW APPs Spotify are two different things, you're conflating the two.

BMW Connected Music is not available in North America, it's only currently available in European regions where you have to pay an addition annual fee and you're then able to stream music, from specific music APPs, using the vehicle in-vehicle data connection.

BMW APPs is what you just added to your vehicle, allows you use your phone's data to stream music, via the vehicle's APP interface, without loading CarPlay, as previous F-Series, non-CarPlay iDrives used to allow.

BMW NA refers to this as Connected Music
Well that's just asinine then because the crown jewel of Connected Music is its ability to stream music using the in-vehicle data connection, which I'm 100% certain is not available in the US.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #25
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well that's just asinine then because the crown jewel of Connected Music is its ability to stream music using the in-vehicle data connection, which I'm 100% certain is not available in the US.
That's what this does but with Spotify.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 02:35 PM   #26
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Quote:
That's what this does but with Spotify.
That's odd BMW charges the RoW for this in-vehicle streaming service but now it's supposedly including for free in US-spec vehicles.

Also, I can't find anything online indicting that this is now available. I guess I'll wait and see what press release surfaces in the coming days.

Thanx.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #27
luisleal12
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

I can't wait any longer for connected music availability in portugal :'(
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:51 PM   #28
SOOK_BMW
Rep
Drives: G22 M440i

Quote:
That's odd BMW charges the RoW for this in-vehicle streaming service but now it's supposedly including for free in US-spec vehicles.

Also, I can't find anything online indicting that this is now available. I guess I'll wait and see what press release surfaces in the coming days.

Thanx.
Well, that was the point of this thread - to mention that it is available. I can 100% confirmed that Spotify has been fully integrated without the need of a phone. However, you must have iDrive 7.0/Live Cockpit for it to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #29
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOK_BMW View Post
Quote:

Thanx.
Well, that was the point of this thread - to mention that it is available. I can 100% confirmed that Spotify has been fully integrated without the need of a phone. However, you must have iDrive 7.0/Live Cockpit for it to work.
Yea? Can you please share something to confirm this because I know for a fact that it's not available in the US, since the carrier that BMW uses (AT&T) doesn't yet support streaming audio data and ConnectDrive doesn't have the option for that specific service, here in North America.

If you do have a separately billed data plan from AT&T, for your vehicle, then you can use that to stream music but not with the basic ConnectDrive inclusive with your vehicle.

However, if you have something to prove otherwise, let's see what you got.

https://connecteddrive.bmwlaunchpad....ices/bmw-music

From BMW's official website, 5 seconds ago:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #30
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Hi,

What is going on? Is this available in US?

I'm asking because I just checked & it is not shown on Connected Drive site for my car

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #31
SOOK_BMW
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanx.
Yea? Can you please share something to confirm this because I know for a fact that it's not available in the US, since the carrier that BMW uses (AT&T) doesn't yet support streaming audio data and ConnectDrive doesn't have the option for that specific service, here in North America.

Here you go
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #32
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanx.

Here you go
You're conflating two separate things..

All you did there is add the individual APP to your vehicle interface, it's still using your phone for the data connection for Spotify, hence the reason you had to scan the QR code to pair your phone.

Prior to this, on iDrive 7, you would have to fire up Apple CarPlay to get all the APPS to load (See below).

All BMW did there is separate the Spotify APP from CarPlay but your phone is still in play here.

The ConnectMusic plan uses the its own data connection, without a feed from your phone, which is currently not available in North America..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #33
SOOK_BMW
Rep

No, the phone is NOT paired at all. The code is there for an easy way to login, but you can also do a manual login as you can see in the last screenshot.

Look, man - it is alright to be incorrect. There is nothing wrong with that, now you know.

Also, this appears after updating BMW Assist. It has nothing to do with "adding it on your own."
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #34
SOOK_BMW
Rep

Quote:
You're conflating two separate things..

All you did there is add the individual APP to your vehicle interface, it's still using your phone for the data connection for Spotify, hence the reason you had to scan the QR code to pair your phone.

Prior to this, on iDrive 7, you would have to fire up Apple CarPlay to get all the APPS to load (See below).

All BMW did there is separate the Spotify APP from CarPlay but your phone is still in play here.

The ConnectMusic plan uses the its own data connection, without a feed from your phone, which is currently not available in North America..

Since the images didn't work for you, here is a video. In the video, I show you that absolutely no phones are paired to the car.

https://streamable.com/rjydo
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #35
daveshan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 2020 M340i

Quote:
No, the phone is NOT paired at all. The code is there for an easy way to login, but you can also do a manual login as you can see in the last screenshot.

Look, man - it is alright to be incorrect. There is nothing wrong with that, now you know.

Also, this appears after updating BMW Assist. It has nothing to do with "adding it on your own."
Yep, it works for me too, just as JayPichardo and SOOK_BMW have stated.

I used the manual login rather than the QR code. Also, I've used the car's Spotify with the phone in airplane mode and all the phone's wireless radios turned off. So, Spotify is definitely not coming from the phone, and the phone is not being used for the data connection.

I do have a wireless data plan for the car, so I can't say for sure whether it's using my data plan or the car's proprietary one.

Last edited by daveshan; 02-22-2020 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #36
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Quote:

I used the manual login rather than the QR code. Also, I've used the car's Spotify with the phone in airplane mode and all the phone's wireless radios turned off. So, Spotify is definitely not coming from the phone, and the phone is not being used for the data connection.

I do have a wireless data plan for the car, so I can't say for sure whether it's using my data plan or the car's proprietary one.

If you have a data plan from AT&T/Connectdrive, then yes, it's using that for that for the music feed.

Those that doesn't opt for the specific additional data plan, your phone would be require for music streaming, as I alluded to several times..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #37
SOOK_BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post

Phew, you saved me here pal. I was thinking to record myself smashing my phone, then logging into Spotify to show him that it doesn't feed off a phone connection. 😂
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #38
SOOK_BMW
Rep

Quote:
If you have a data plan from AT&T/Connectdrive, then yes, it's using that for that for the music feed.

Those that doesn't opt for the specific data plan, your phone would be require for the streaming.
All this time you were saying that it wasn't possible for that to happen in North America, now you are saying that it is?

It is no big deal if you are wrong. We live and learn
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #39
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Those that doesn't opt for the specific data plan, your phone would be require for the streaming.
All this time you were saying that it wasn't possible for that to happen in North America, now you are saying that it is?

It is no big deal if you are wrong. We live and learn
I'm not "wrong" or care if I am, do I get a prize or demerit?

If you don't have a data plan from AT&T, independent from the Connectdrive service, the Spotify music won't work.

Had you mention before you have a separate data plan from AT&T, then I would of agreed with you.

ConnectMusic is separate from the AT&T data plan, which is still not available in the US.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #40
SOOK_BMW
Rep

Quote:

If you don't have a data plan from AT&T, independent from the Connectdrive service, the Spotify music won't work.

Had you mention before you have a separate data plan from AT&T, then I would of agreed with you.

ConnectMusic is separate from the AT&T data plan, which is still not available in the US.

Your original argument was that it used the phone's service - that's what this was all about. In fact, you were very confident in telling me that it was a "shortcut" from Apple CarPlay. I have an Android, by the way.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #41
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Your original argument was that it used the phone's service - that's what this was all about. In fact, you were very confident in telling me that it was a "shortcut" from Apple CarPlay. I have an Android, by the way.
Bro, obviously, if your vehicle is not getting a data stream from your phone, then it's getting it from the AT&T data plan.

BMW is not just going to allow you stream data without paying one way or the other. The regular ConnectDrive plan doesn't allow music streaming.

Had you mention, as the other poster did, that you have a separate data plan, then that's obviously where the music feed is coming from.

In Europe, you don't need a separate plan from AT&T, since Connectdrive has a plan called ConnectedMusic.

BMW did separate the Spotify APP from CarPlay, regardless if you have an independent data plan or ConnectedMusic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:34 AM   #42
cls49bmw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40

Thanks to all who contributed on this topic. Until someone mentioned having a wireless plan for his car, I couldn't understand why I couldn't access Spotify as a separate Media source on I Drive. I don't have wireless data for my car; only for my phone. Makes perfect sense, finally!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #43
Ace159
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW M340i X-Drive

I've tried a few suggestions here and I still can't get it to show on my car.

When I use Spotify through Bluetooth I don't get album art and would love to have the App. Not sure what to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #44
mzdial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G20 330i & '19 G01 X3

Garage List
What version of iDrive software do all of you have that are based in the US market (that have activated and used this?)
Appreciate 0