Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Software Updates

02-23-2020, 02:18 AM   #1
markt2727
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Software Updates

I'm a new 330i owner with a question about software updates. I see that my BMW Connected app has a software update feature, but as I read other posts on here people mention having the dealer install updates.

Are there different types of updates, and can they all not be handled through the app? I think my car also has a software update option in one of the menus. How is that different from the BMW Connected app or what the dealer does.

Lastly, my car happens to be in for service right now. How do I find out what the latest software version available is and how can I check to see which version I have in my car?

(Sorry for all the questions!)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 04:33 AM   #2
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
A software update is a software update. The options, for update, you mention all do the same thing.

Over The Air (OTA) updates are not fully functioning for all users hence why some users are going to dealers to get updates.

As for finding out what software version you currently have? In the car go to the software update option and it will tell you what version you have installed in the format mm/yyyy.xx

What is the latest? Only way I know is to keep reading on this forum as users will post when updates are available. Currently I believe the latest is 11/2019.xx where xx is a number.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
markt2727
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
A software update is a software update. The options, for update, you mention all do the same thing.

Over The Air (OTA) updates are not fully functioning for all users hence why some users are going to dealers to get updates.

As for finding out what software version you currently have? In the car go to the software update option and it will tell you what version you have installed in the format mm/yyyy.xx

What is the latest? Only way I know is to keep reading on this forum as users will post when updates are available. Currently I believe the latest is 11/2019.xx where xx is a number.
Cool, very helpful, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

3/2020 is coming out in the near future, so I'd say to wait and update when it hits the dealerships
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 1