Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Puddle lights missing on LCI.. What else?

View Poll Results: 2023 with puddle lights?
yes 7 33.33%
no 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

11-16-2023, 05:19 AM   #155
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

There additional missing small "goodies" from MY2023 to MY2024:
- the steering wheel airbag hub is no longer leather, but plastic
- the left footrest is no longer aluminium, but plastic

I found a great video detailing all downgrades from pre-LCI to MY2024. It's in German, but visually pretty clear
Appreciate 1
Ransom81.00
      11-16-2023, 06:14 AM   #156
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Why is there all this cost cutting going on?
Is it to offset the high inflation we’ve seen in the last year and to ensure the price remain competitive?
Theee cost cuttings all seem minor in the grand scheme of things so I wonder how much are they really saving?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 10:11 AM   #157
Ransom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
There additional missing small "goodies" from MY2023 to MY2024:
- the steering wheel airbag hub is no longer leather, but plastic
- the left footrest is no longer aluminium, but plastic

I found a great video detailing all downgrades from pre-LCI to MY2024. It's in German, but visually pretty clear
Good video, think some of these changes might be EU specific though, this video below shows a MY2024 U.S spec with the metal footrest, however the steering wheel is the plastic turtle-shell design. Disappointed to see the vent switches lost the orange night-lighting

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 10:18 AM   #158
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

Ransom - it could be that you need certain options to have the metal footrest, e.g. dashboard in leather(which gets the small cubby). Or just a simple cut-off date like with steering wheel plastic pot. None of these are vital, but it really leaves "bad taste in your mouth" for many long time customers. What is worst for me is that BMW does not give you an option to have these for additional payment.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 12:11 PM   #159
Ransom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
Ransom - it could be that you need certain options to have the metal footrest, e.g. dashboard in leather(which gets the small cubby). Or just a simple cut-off date like with steering wheel plastic pot. None of these are vital, but it really leaves "bad taste in your mouth" for many long time customers. What is worst for me is that BMW does not give you an option to have these for additional payment.
Agree on the sentiment, I ordered a 24' as my first BMW and definitely feel a bit negative on the changes.

I have the leather/sensatec dashboard optioned and mine is also missing the small cubby under the light adjustments (U.S spec)

Worst of all is the plastic airbag cover, which it seems in the U.S is on all 24' 3 and 2 series models regardless of build date
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 05:33 AM   #160
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Agree on the sentiment, I ordered a 24' as my first BMW and definitely feel a bit negative on the changes.

I have the leather/sensatec dashboard optioned and mine is also missing the small cubby under the light adjustments (U.S spec)

Worst of all is the plastic airbag cover, which it seems in the U.S is on all 24' 3 and 2 series models regardless of build date
Plastic airbag cover is introduced in June or July '23. I'm not certain of exact date, but all G20/G21 cars produced after that date get the plastic airbag cover. The same goes for the aluminum footrest which was replaced with the black plastic one. I think only M340i(d) still have the aluminium footrest. Other M Sport cars get black plastic one.

Also, small cubby on the left-bottom side of steering wheel is only available if you order full-leather(animal skin) dashboard. This should not be mistaken with Sensatec dashboard. Sensatec dashboard does not get come with that small cubby.

I drove a 2019 G20 for past 4 years, and am currently waiting for my new facelift G21 330d to be produced.
I am only annoyed with the plastic airbag cover and the removal of cubby compartment. Other cost-saving measures don't bother me as in real life I didn't even notice them on my pre-facelift G20 that I had from 2019 till now. However, the cubby is the only place where my sunglasses fit, and the steering wheel is something that I see from the drivers position all the time. I think it's totally inappropriate to cut costs on such a prominent part of the interior. My guess is that BMW deliberately downgraded the steering wheel on G20 because the all-new 2023/4 5 series now comes with a plastic airbag cover on the steering wheel. So, they used the opportunity to bring the G20 a bit "down" in order to keep it under the 5 series in terms of details. By the way, I took a closer look at the new 5 series interior and found that cost savings on materials and details are very obvious and significant compared to the previous 5-series generation G30. There is barely any real metal in the interior. And the whole interior is much more plasticky and focused around the huge screen and intensive ambient light-show. Not my thing. But I bet the Chinese love that stuff.

Unfortunately, every day it's more obvious that BMW is prioritizing preferences of buyers in the Chinese market. Both the styling and the materials are optimized for them. Europeans and Americans that are used to BMWs of past days are not BMW's target group today. Hence the changes in styling, materials and user interfaces.

Last edited by Calamari; 11-29-2023 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 09:59 AM   #161
Sporto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M340xi

Garage List
2024 M340Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
Plastic airbag cover is introduced in June or July '23. I'm not certain of exact date, but all G20/G21 cars produced after that date get the plastic airbag cover. The same goes for the aluminum footrest which was replaced with the black plastic one. I think only M340i(d) still have the aluminium footrest. Other M Sport cars get black plastic one.

Also, small cubby on the left-bottom side of steering wheel is only available if you order full-leather(animal skin) dashboard. This should not be mistaken with Sensatec dashboard. Sensatec dashboard does not get come with that small cubby.

I drove a 2019 G20 for past 4 years, and am currently waiting for my new facelift G21 330d to be produced.
I am only annoyed with the plastic airbag cover and the removal of cubby compartment. Other cost-saving measures don't bother me as in real life I didn't even notice them on my pre-facelift G20 that I had from 2019 till now. However, the cubby is the only place where my sunglasses fit, and the steering wheel is something that I see from the drivers position all the time. I think it's totally inappropriate to cut costs on such a prominent part of the interior. My guess is that BMW deliberately downgraded the steering wheel on G20 because the all-new 2023/4 5 series now comes with a plastic airbag cover on the steering wheel. So, they used the opportunity to bring the G20 a bit "down" in order to keep it under the 5 series in terms of details. By the way, I took a closer look at the new 5 series interior and found that cost savings on materials and details are very obvious and [...]
2024 M340xi just delivered to US from Mexico built in Oct 2023. Mine has the aluminum foot rests.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 10:09 AM   #162
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporto View Post
2024 M340xi just delivered to US from Mexico built in Oct 2023. Mine has the aluminum foot rests.
Thanks for the info. This confirms that M340i and M340d still get the Aluminum foot rest, while other engines with M Sport package get the plastic one.

Lucky you. You got your M340 pretty quickly after production.
We in Europe, are currently experiencing slowdowns in production of 30d and 40d engines so I'm informed that my G21 definitely won't be produced in December (and I'm already waiting for 3 months from late August). Anyway, enjoy your car. Despite the cost-cutting measures, the M340i LCI is still a very good car with a state of the art engine.
Appreciate 1
Sporto79.50
      12-02-2023, 03:23 PM   #163
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr2000 View Post
2023 Feb/23 build G26, also missing puddle lights, but the cutout on the door panel looks different than what was posted earlier in the thread. Makes me wonder if the wiring maybe in place on late build 23' and beginning in 24'? Anyone pulled the door panel?
2024 G26, took the door card off and no harness connection. Should be an easy build just gotta find where to tap in and I can make a harness for each door. I have the pusdle lights and can figure out what connector to use on that end. Once I figure this out I’ll post the retrofit. Unless someone has already done this work and you can point us to the link!
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 1
Jwl0.00
      03-29-2024, 06:57 AM   #164
Jwl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Let me know when you have figured out what to get puddle lights for the door!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 04:18 PM   #165
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwl View Post
Let me know when you have figured out what to get puddle lights for the door!
This guy did the retrofit for an F30.I would assume it would be similar for a G20.It just requires footwell lighting.It does look like quite a big job.Its probably something that i wouldn’t bother doing until the car was out of warranty.

Its so ridiculous that BMW is deleting options like these.Just have them as a separate option.Its great being able to swap out the white light with the BMW or M logo projected on the ground when you open the door.

Whats interesting is the M3 CS that my dealer had in the showroom last week still has them on the front and rear doors. I guess for that amount of money it should still have them.Nice to see that they haven’t totally cheaped out.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 11:48 PM   #166
dhock_holiday
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW19 View Post
This guy did the retrofit for an F30.I would assume it would be similar for a G20.It just requires footwell lighting.It does look like quite a big job.Its probably something that i wouldn’t bother doing until the car was out of warranty.

Its so ridiculous that BMW is deleting options like these.Just have them as a separate option.Its great being able to swap out the white light with the BMW or M logo projected on the ground when you open the door.

Whats interesting is the M3 CS that my dealer had in the showroom last week still has them on the front and rear doors. I guess for that amount of money it should still have them.Nice to see that they haven’t totally cheaped out.

https://youtu.be/PAIqYPZO34s?si=bUsxvVmvTEjsjwUe
The cost cutting is happening across the range. The next M3 is probably next, look at the new 5 series. Lots of hard plastics and cheaper materials
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 04:35 PM   #167
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhock_holiday View Post
The cost cutting is happening across the range. The next M3 is probably next, look at the new 5 series. Lots of hard plastics and cheaper materials
I know they have removed quite a bit on the new 5 series.At least we still have the comfort access sensors on the rear doors of the M340i.They removed those on the new 5 along with the M door sill plates.
Appreciate 0