Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Life with a sports car

06-22-2019, 11:08 PM   #67
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Doubt what, crap falling off the bike? You should see what falls off a bike, bits of dirt, grease, rocks (yes, rocks). You doubt dust in the air? Yes, anything that contacts your car traps dust, it will dull your paint after a while. Doubt having to loft your bike over your car every time and that you may be tired? I have a friend with a sea-sucker that just had to replace one of the suckers because it was defective and not working. No, I don't want to take that kind of chance and when a car can take a receiver, it's just dumb IMO.

Like I said, at that point, where that's the only option, I'd rather take a beater.
Totally agree. If my 1 had a hitch option which didn't require some cutting of the lower body work, I'd have one on it now. Instead, I installed one on my C-HR. Initially, I thought about getting the factory roof rails for both my 1 and C-HR. Then I thought about having to hoist a bike over my car and doing so without an accident. I'd rather not run the risk on either car and I'm not a weak person nor short at 6'5". I don't understand the resistance to using a hitch accessory as the primary before using a system which requires mounting on the roof of a car. I opted for a dual bike platform type carrier. Works great. Doesn't require me to loft my bike over top of my car. No additional significant amount of drag. No noise from air blowing over/through the bike. And totally stable....field tested at speeds up to (ahem) 85 MPH.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #68
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Totally agree.
Looking at his sig, he has a 911 GTS, so the sea-sucker was probably the only option for him, I sure wouldn't want to put even more weight on the rear end of a 911! The tone of his post though that having a hitch-rack (that comes off) is some sort of a big drag was just hilarious, given the disadvantages of the last-resort sea-sucker.

The execuhitches on the BMWs are very nice, I had one of those too. It wasn't that bad to install, popping off the body panels is probably the biggest deal, cutting the heat-shield back a bit wasn't bad, but once it's on, damn, it's slick. Total stealth.
      06-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #69
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Looking at his sig, he has a 911 GTS, so the sea-sucker was probably the only option for him, I sure wouldn't want to put even more weight on the rear end of a 911! The tone of his post though that having a hitch-rack (that comes off) is some sort of a big drag was just hilarious, given the disadvantages of the last-resort sea-sucker.

The execuhitches on the BMWs are very nice, I had one of those too. It wasn't that bad to install, popping off the body panels is probably the biggest deal, cutting the heat-shield back a bit wasn't bad, but once it's on, damn, it's slick. Total stealth.
Yeah, I pop my platform rack on and off even though it'll fold up near the plane of the rear bumper to minimize how far it's sticking out. But I choose to just remove it. Bit of a pain but I deal with it.

Another reason to go with a hitch type transporter is security. I looked at the Sea-sucker products briefly and I don't see any security methods to prevent someone from just popping the things off of the car to steal what ever is mounted to them. With hitch transporters, at least you can lock down your bikes and go to a store/restaurant/whatever without too much fear your stuff won't be there when you get back.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 06:01 PM   #70
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Looking at his sig, he has a 911 GTS...
Driving a 911 GTS and feels compelled to shit on your choice of bike rack? I guess money really cant buy happiness, can it?
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #71
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Driving a 911 GTS and feels compelled to shit on your choice of bike rack? I guess money really cant buy happiness, can it?
You’re too emotional. This entire site regularly discusses aesthetics and form v function. I guess you feel a bit insecure about what i drive. That bike rack on a camaro looks goofy.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:04 PM   #72
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Quote:
You’re too emotional. This entire site regularly discusses aesthetics and form v function. I guess you feel a bit insecure about what i drive. That bike rack on a camaro looks goofy.
I'm not sure how you're reading too much "emotion" into my post. There's no emotion here. I just find it strange that you feel compelled to tell another member how bad their choice of bike rack is. You're driving a car that many, myself included, can only dream of owning. You should be on cloud 9. Happiest dude around. Enjoy that car and spread some happiness, instead of concerning yourself with some dudes choice of bike rack. Or don't, you do you.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #73
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It comes off.
      06-23-2019, 10:14 PM   #74
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure how you're reading too much "emotion" into my post. There's no emotion here. I just find it strange that you feel compelled to tell another member how bad their choice of bike rack is. You're driving a car that many, myself included, can only dream of owning. You should be on cloud 9. Happiest dude around. Enjoy that car and spread some happiness, instead of concerning yourself with some dudes choice of bike rack. Or don't, you do you.
Why are you compelled to defend another grown man? And are you really that insecure that you have to click on my profile in hopes to find any criticism of what i drive to validate your weak point? That type of rack for his car is stupid. Now he has to get a hitch and spend $500 on a rack that makes his sports car the size of a small pickup in length. The chances of him damaging his bikes and bumper are far greater than him sprinkling a few nuggets of mud on his roof. Happiness? Lol stop projecting.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:02 PM   #75
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Why are you compelled to defend another grown man? And are you really that insecure that you have to click on my profile in hopes to find any criticism of what i drive to validate your weak point? That type of rack for his car is stupid. Now he has to get a hitch and spend $500 on a rack that makes his sports car the size of a small pickup in length. The chances of him damaging his bikes and bumper are far greater than him sprinkling a few nuggets of mud on his roof. Happiness? Lol stop projecting.
Enlighten me on how a hitch mounted rack could be riskier than roof mounted carrier? And a hitch has other uses than just for a bike rack. The hitches I've installed myself didn't even come close to $500. One was around $200 and the other was about $150.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:04 PM   #76
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If you get rear-ended that frequently, you've got much bigger problems than what rack to use.

It's interesting to see how cycling racks have shifted, back in the 90s you had roof-racks and those hanging-style J-racks that went on hitches. The roof rack had issues with lofting your bike up on top of your car, especially when you consider all the different kinds of bikes today, road bikes, fat bikes, plus bikes, DH bikes, enduro bikes, etc. Besides the load issues, the last thing you want to do at the end of a ride is make a mistake loading on top of your nice car. I'm not perfect, so I realize this is an issue. Then there's the rocks and crap that falls off all bikes. I'll take a picture for you at some point so you can see (just cleaned my bikes, so it'll take another ride). The hanging-style racks were terrible, bikes would bash together, or you'd have to run a bunch of bungies, and the rack-sway was also terrible, not to mention they didn't work with many frames.

Now we have tray racks like the 1up USA, super easy to use, no lofting bikes over your head, easier to secure to the vehicle by cable/chain for security, can take a variety of bikes, etc. I have an older T2, mainly because it just keeps going, so no "$500" for me, it's approaching 15 years old. Pretty good investment if I do say so. There are a bunch of other modern hitch racks like the 1up that make loading and unloading a dream comparatively. These days, roof racks are becoming scarce because hitch racks are simply better 99% of the time. In a few situations, when there's no way to do a hitch rack, or you want a hitch and a roof rack for additional capacity, then it starts to make some sense.

You enjoy your sea-sucker, pumping it up, being limited by hub sizes, etc.

No one, I mean almost no one, prefers a roof rack these days. Some use it because they already have one, some because they don't want to spend any money, but this is 2019, we aren't taking wheels off every time we transport our bikes.

And my car rides just fine with the rack on. It rides just fine all the time.

If anything, you seem to be lashing out due to the choice you made with your "rack"? If I'm mistaken and you are totally happy, then I'm sorry I misinterpreted that. I'm perfectly happy.
Attached Images

06-23-2019, 11:11 PM   #77
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not defending him and I certainly didn't click on your profile. Like I said, just trying to figure out why you're so worked up over another dudes choice of bike rack. It just seems so insignificant. Seems silly for a guy whose got it made in the car ownership category. Enjoy your car, have a nice evening.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-24-2019, 05:17 AM   #78
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Enlighten me on how a hitch mounted rack could be riskier than roof mounted carrier? And a hitch has other uses than just for a bike rack. The hitches I've installed myself didn't even come close to $500. One was around $200 and the other was about $150.
Because cars are more likely to get rear ended. Lmaooo and the $500 was a reference to the cost of most hitch bike racks suck as THULE or Yakima.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:28 AM   #79
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
If you get rear-ended that frequently, you've got much bigger problems than what rack to use.

It's interesting to see how cycling racks have shifted, back in the 90s you had roof-racks and those hanging-style J-racks that went on hitches. The roof rack had issues with lofting your bike up on top of your car, especially when you consider all the different kinds of bikes today, road bikes, fat bikes, plus bikes, DH bikes, enduro bikes, etc. Besides the load issues, the last thing you want to do at the end of a ride is make a mistake loading on top of your nice car. I'm not perfect, so I realize this is an issue. Then there's the rocks and crap that falls off all bikes. I'll take a picture for you at some point so you can see (just cleaned my bikes, so it'll take another ride). The hanging-style racks were terrible, bikes would bash together, or you'd have to run a bunch of bungies, and the rack-sway was also terrible, not to mention they didn't work with many frames.

Now we have tray racks like the 1up USA, super easy to use, no lofting bikes over your head, easier to secure to the vehicle by cable/chain for security, can take a variety of bikes, etc. I have an older T2, mainly because it just keeps going, so no "$500" for me, it's approaching 15 years old. Pretty good investment if I do say so. There are a bunch of other modern hitch racks like the 1up that make loading and unloading a dream comparatively. These days, roof racks are becoming scarce because hitch racks are simply better 99% of the time. In a few situations, when there's no way to do a hitch rack, or you want a hitch and a roof rack for additional capacity, then it starts to make some sense.

No one, I mean almost no one, prefers a roof rack these days. Some use it because they already have one, some because they don't want to spend any money, but this is 2019, we aren't taking wheels off every time we transport our bikes.

If anything, you seem to be lashing out due to the choice you made with your "rack"? If I'm mistaken and you are totally happy, then I'm sorry I misinterpreted that. I'm perfectly happy.
The RISK is greater with a hitch-mounted bike-racks. Are you implying that they’re less risky than roof mounts? The popularity of the SUV Shifted the market to hitch-mounted bike racks. There was no emotional shift by the public for reasons you provided. Vehicles got too tall for roof-mounts. That’s it. Hitches are cumbersome to mount, more expensive and for the most part, vehicle specific. You’re poorly informed.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #80
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
1978 Datsun 280Z
HP = 149
Weight = 2875 lbs
0-60 = 9.3 seconds
1/4 mile = 16.7 seconds
Price = $8,878 (adjusted to 2019 dollars = $34,870)

2018 Miata
HP = 155
Weight = 2350 lbs
0-60 = 6.4 seconds
1/4 mile = 14.9
Price = $26,000

I'm sorry but exactly how is the lighter, faster, cheaper, safer, more fun to drive, more reliable, better looking, better handling, better braking, 2018 Miata NOT a sports car in comparison with the 280Z?
Because he said so! Gosh, man, can't you understand!

06-24-2019, 07:49 AM   #81
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Now he has to get a hitch and spend $500 on a rack that makes his sports car the size of a small pickup in length.
Says the guy who drives a sports car that is the size of a small pickup in length.....without any hitch....

911 GTS length: 179.6″
Ford Ranger length: 181.5"

Variance: 1.9"

06-24-2019, 07:57 AM   #82
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Because he said so! Gosh, man, can't you understand!

This thread is full of people I just cant understand...
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #83
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Because cars are more likely to get rear ended. Lmaooo and the $500 was a reference to the cost of most hitch bike racks suck as THULE or Yakima.
If I were to be rear ended, the last thing I would worry about is damage to the bikes/hitch/rack. Even if I were to be rear ended, the other person's insurance would cover all damages as most likely the person being rear ended is not at fault. Who is going to cover a mishap loading a bike onto a roof carrier? I would say the chances of being rear ended is much less than a mishap with you loading the bike on and off a roof mounted carrier.

As to the $500 the reference, you need to do some more research. The cost of a hitch as I said is probably around $200. I was going to buy a Yakima platform bike rack for $274 during their Memorial Day sale. Ended up missing out when I was ready to place my order. I bought a Swagman Chinook for $200 which is what is in the picture. Quality is great.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #84
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Spot on with everything you've said. I don't even understand why there's an argument. Having to pick up a large object about 5' off the ground over another large object versus picking up the same object about 2' off the ground without having to lift it over another large object. To me the choice is clear.

I looked at the 1Up platform racks. They look to be very nicely made. Lighter than anything I've seen out there with a bunch of options. I just couldn't justify the cost given my level of cycling.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #85
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I just want to add that if you put a roof rack on your car, you will, at some point, drive under something with your bike on and fuck it up. xD

I run a Kuat NV hitch rack now. It's just so much easier to use than hoisting shit up onto the roof. I don't see myself running anything but a hitch mount ever again. I also never plan on using any sports car to haul bikes, though.
      06-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #86
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Sounds like my M4...3700 miles in 3 years...lol
But as today it gonna be finally my dd!
Nothing about an M3/M4 worth saving.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #87
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
No I hit a manhole shaft that stuck out over 5 inches in the middle lane of the interstate expressway I-94 and basically gutted the bottom of the car. It took out the floor pan, transmission, suspension, exhaust, and gas tank. They took almost 3 months to repair it and when I got it back a lot of the electronic touch panel didn't work. They took it in again and kept replacing parts and it was still not working. So I got rid of it.
Holy FUCK no way. That musn't been kind of a shock moment when it happened and hearing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #88
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I didn't say there are no more sports car. I said inexpensive sports car.

For instance
1980 Corvette base MSRP $13,965 (NADA)--
accounting for inflation = $43,402 in 2019 dollars

2019 Corvette base LT1 $61,495 (NADA)

That's a huge jump. Granted the C7 Corvette is an incredible car but the prices of sports car has gotten outrageous.
Lmao you compare ONE sports car and you conclude that there is zero inexpensive sports car.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00