Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Drivetrain - Cylinder 4 Misfire

05-23-2023, 02:28 PM   #1
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Drivetrain - Cylinder 4 Misfire

Hi all

About 3 weeks ago I was driving from London to Southampton when I got a drive train error message on my dash on the last 15 minutes of my journey. Car stated I can continue driving but to get in touch with BMW, so I did this on arrival and they sent out a mobile engineer to check out the car. He ran all of his tests which took about 30-45 minutes and he confirmed that cylinder 4 had misfired. He said that all the tests ran fine and there are no longer any issues and he cleared the code but if the car does not run smoothly to take it into the local dealer.

On my way home the car did not run smoothly, it felt slower/sluggish. The car would not put power down when trying to accelerate and around 3,000 to 4,000 revs the car felt like it was skipping/jumping. This was a normal occurrence since the car had the misfire.

As I was coming to the end of my warranty and I was due my end of warranty check, I took it in the following week and also mentioned the misfire issue I had. BMW looked into this and said nothing is wrong and everything is fine, spite the fact I said the car has not been running smoothly since the issue.

I got the car back from BMW the same day on the 10th of May. The car felt the same. I knew something was wrong with the car. However, over the last 3/4 days the car has felt "fine", normal in a way. It was no longer struggling at over 3,000 revs.

Now, today I was driving home and the car started feeling rough again, it felt the same as before when the misfire happened. Shortly after I tried to overtake and BAM... Drive train issue again, reduced power. I get off the dual carriage way and the car is vibrating a lot at stationary and make rough noises through the exhaust. I manage to make it home, where I was able to plug into the OBD port and check for codes as they weren't cleared this time. The codes will be in the pictures attached.

My car is completely stock in terms of coding and tuning. The car has not been tuned ever, I have owned the car since brand new. There are only two mods done to the car; Remus Catback Race Exhaust (removal of OPFs) and Leib sensor for OPF delete. These are the only two things I have done. I had both things done together and has been like this for around a year and a half and I have never had an issue (doubt this is the problem anyway).

Car is going back to BMW tomorrow for some work. My warranty officially ends on the 30th of June so I still got some time.

My car service is always done on time and all services have been done with the same BMW dealer. My spark plugs were replaced with my service on the 7th of June 2022.

Lets hope for the best and please share any experience or advise you may have.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 06:21 PM   #2
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M340iX

Garage List
Good luck! Please update once they figure out the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 10:34 AM   #3
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
So here’s the update;

Dropped my car off to BMW yesterday and was due for collection today at 12pm.

I was told it was a “DPS” issue over the phone, not sure what that means. But when I went into the dealership they said the car didn’t misfire (even though codes show it does and it happened previously as the BMW engineer confirmed). Instead, he said the CATs were burning because the car was going through a regeneration process. He said I just had to keep driving the car and it would have been fine.

He said the process is now complete and the car should run fine.

Just drove it home and I can tell you, unsurprisingly, the car does NOT run fine. Still feels like it’s skipping around 3/4k revs and I have a feeling if I put my foot down far enough I will get another misfire and CEL.

I smell bullsh*t

Going to drive it for the weekend and see what happens, most likely going to take it to a different dealership and if nothing helps there, probably go private. Let’s hope and see .
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2023, 08:41 AM   #4
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Ha ha ha…..ha.

After coming back from my holiday abroad, I dropped my car off to perfect touch performance near Loughton and after explaining the problem they said they would get onto it! Lo and behold I got a call back after 3 hours with the suspicion on the spark plug on cyclinder 4. Got all spark plugs changed the following day by them as they needed to order stock and that’s it. The problem was solved and fixed.

This just shows how bad the customer service is at BMW. Once you buy a car from them and you need something done in terms of warranty they refuse to look at it or they say they checked and found nothing? But a private garage can find and fix the problem within 24 hours. This is crazy. They were also the ones who installed the spark plugs as I got all my service completed by them.
Appreciate 0