BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Hi and Another M340i speed Limiter Post

02-23-2022, 02:41 PM   #1
mtalavera1979
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i

Hi and Another M340i speed Limiter Post

Hi everyone! I just purchased a 2022 M340i. So far, I like the car. I traded in my old 2018 Honda Accord 2.0t with manual transmission. This is the first automatic car I've had in a while. But after test driving it, I was sold. This is where the reason to the post comes in. I did my initial research on what BMW had to offer for the M340i on their website. I went through the configurator and noticed there were wheel and tire packages. I went over to a local dealership that had one available on the lot. It came nicely equipped and with the all season run flat tires with 791M wheels. But after purchasing it, I browsed through the forums and came across many of these similar posts. If your M340i has the all season tires, its speed limiter is set to 130mph compared to those with performance tires having a 150mph speed limiter. At first, it was no big deal. I thought, I can just swap out stock tires for performance tires and change a setting in the car to adjust the speed limiter after it recognizes the new tires. Well, I was wrong. According to the posts, the cars come equipped with the assigned speed limiter from the factory. I made it known to the dealership after finding this out. The service department told me they can get the performance tires installed and then perform a "retrofit program" on my car to get the speed limiter bumped to 150mph. Anyone out here know if that is possible, has been done, or are they just blowing smoke? I get it. I may hardly ever go that fast. But I purchased an M340i for its performance. If that was the case I should've been told by the sales team of the wheel and tire package on the car lowering the speed limiter. I wouldn't have purchased it and would've waited for one to be available to my preferred spec. Sorry guys, but I'm just bummed out.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 02:57 PM   #2
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtalavera1979 View Post
Hi everyone! I just purchased a 2022 M340i. So far, I like the car. I traded in my old 2018 Honda Accord 2.0t with manual transmission. This is the first automatic car I've had in a while. But after test driving it, I was sold. This is where the reason to the post comes in. I did my initial research on what BMW had to offer for the M340i on their website. I went through the configurator and noticed there were wheel and tire packages. I went over to a local dealership that had one available on the lot. It came nicely equipped and with the all season run flat tires with 791M wheels. But after purchasing it, I browsed through the forums and came across many of these similar posts. If your M340i has the all season tires, its speed limiter is set to 130mph compared to those with performance tires having a 150mph speed limiter. At first, it was no big deal. I thought, I can just swap out stock tires for performance tires and change a setting in the car to adjust the speed limiter after it recognizes the new tires. Well, I was wrong. According to the posts, the cars come equipped with the assigned speed limiter from the factory. I made it known to the dealership after finding this out. The service department told me they can get the performance tires installed and then perform a "retrofit program" on my car to get the speed limiter bumped to 150mph. Anyone out here know if that is possible, has been done, or are they just blowing smoke? I get it. I may hardly ever go that fast. But I purchased an M340i for its performance. If that was the case I should've been told by the sales team of the wheel and tire package on the car lowering the speed limiter. I wouldn't have purchased it and would've waited for one to be available to my preferred spec. Sorry guys, but I'm just bummed out.
Given you have a 2020…

Alternatively you can flash your car (MIssion Performance, BM3, MHD etc) - gain a decent amount of power and have your top speed limiter removed altogether
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
mtalavera1979
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Given you have a 2020…

Alternatively you can flash your car (MIssion Performance, BM3, MHD etc) - gain a decent amount of power and have your top speed limiter removed altogether
I hope that's not the only option. Hopefully, the service department correct and were able to reprogram my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 04:04 PM   #4
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Given you have a 2020…

OP says he has a 2022, so flash is not an option.
      03-01-2022, 05:45 PM   #5
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Given you have a 2020…

OP says he has a 2022, so flash is not an option.
Oopsie I thought I saw 2020 - thanks for the correction
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 10:40 PM   #6
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
I hope that's not the only option. Hopefully, the service department correct and were able to reprogram my car.

Any updates from the service dept reprogramming the speed limiter?
      03-06-2022, 12:32 AM   #7
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WickedE90 View Post
The service center will NOT reprogram a car to remove or add factory options the car came with (updates are different).
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 12:37 AM   #8
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
The service center will NOT reprogram a car to remove or add factory options the car came with (updates are different).
That was my understanding as well. However, as the OP said:

"The service department told me they can get the performance tires installed and then perform a "retrofit program" on my car to get the speed limiter bumped to 150mph."

I'm interested in whether this is true or bs from that service dept.
      03-06-2022, 09:38 PM   #9
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That was my understanding as well. However, as the OP said:

"The service department told me they can get the performance tires installed and then perform a "retrofit program" on my car to get the speed limiter bumped to 150mph."

I'm interested in whether this is true or bs from that service dept.
An authorized service center cannot legally do that. They can install summer performance tires but cannot mess with speed limiters even if other cars come with an increased top speed limit.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 06:46 AM   #10
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
An authorized service center cannot legally do that. They can install summer performance tires but cannot mess with speed limiters even if other cars come with an increased top speed limit.
What law is that?
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2022, 09:10 PM   #11
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
What law is that?
I'm no lawyer so I don't know what law that is. Sorry. That's just how it is though. I've spoken to a couple of dealers (selling different brands) and unless the brand authorises it, there's nothing a dealer can do. So yeah. You can ask your dealer if they'll do it and of they do, that's awesome.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 11:10 PM   #12
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
That's what I thought too
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 03:08 PM   #13
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
I'm no lawyer so I don't know what law that is. Sorry. That's just how it is though. I've spoken to a couple of dealers (selling different brands) and unless the brand authorises it, there's nothing a dealer can do. So yeah. You can ask your dealer if they'll do it and of they do, that's awesome.

So you made up the part about it being illegal...Perhaps you meant "contractually"
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 08:04 AM   #14
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

BUMP! mtalavera1979 What's the verdict? Did your dealer's service department remove the speed governor?
      04-26-2022, 10:46 AM   #15
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
So you made up the part about it being illegal...Perhaps you meant "contractually"
I meant they cannot legally remove the speed limiter of a completely stock car to increase it even if other cars (same trim) with certain packages from the manufacturer have an increased top speed. If they are an authorized dealer of tunes as well, it is legally possible since tunes usually remove the speed limiter.

And pardon my use of the term legally/illegally vs contractually agreed (or whatever the correct term is). I'm not a lawyer and will never be one. Haha. Just a layman speaking in layman terms.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 05:52 PM   #16
Cheech666
Enlisted Member
Brazil
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i audi rs5 bmw m135i

Depending on the Country and if they are authorized dealer They should be able to change the speed limit and fit in performance tires, however i recommend having 245 and 275 fit in yout car before getting to 150mph
      05-19-2022, 12:27 PM   #17
Mastamoe
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 m340 rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerdrive View Post
BUMP! mtalavera1979 What's the verdict? Did your dealer's service department remove the speed governor?

There's no way. He probably got rid of the car
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 03:41 PM   #18
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I'm admittedly a bit of a jackass when it comes to driving and I haven't hit 130 yet. I can see if you're going to be running 1 mile top speed competitions but even a road course you're probably not hitting more than 130 unless you're running Lemans.

I know it's cool to say your car can do 150 but is there any practical reason? I think 128 was my max and it was basically to escape a road raging jackass, I don't think I've done more than 110 casually.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 02:27 PM   #19
ncskibum
ncskibum
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive,

top speed limiter 2020 m340i with ZTK package

My 2020 m340i xdrive with the ztk hi per coolinig and tire package is also limited to 130. Even when I go into the menu and put in summer performance tires it still will not exceed 130. I have Apex 9 x 19" et28 sm-10 wheels with 255/35/19 Bridgestone potenza re-71rs for track days and I do hit the limiter twice per lap at VIR. (also have dinan performance springs and Millway camber plates) Only 3/4 way down the back and front straight. If I can't get the dealer to alter it then I guess I'll have to get a tune.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52754.50
      10-26-2023, 12:16 PM   #20
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncskibum View Post
My 2020 m340i xdrive with the ztk hi per coolinig and tire package is also limited to 130. Even when I go into the menu and put in summer performance tires it still will not exceed 130. I have Apex 9 x 19" et28 sm-10 wheels with 255/35/19 Bridgestone potenza re-71rs for track days and I do hit the limiter twice per lap at VIR. (also have dinan performance springs and Millway camber plates) Only 3/4 way down the back and front straight. If I can't get the dealer to alter it then I guess I'll have to get a tune.
I'm in the same boat. Track my car, have no interest in a tune, but I don't think I have a choice anymore if I want to exceed ~130. Sucks. That said, I think one can just remove the limiter with a "tune", and not do anything else (Stage 1 or 2).
Appreciate 1
CSBM52754.50
      10-31-2023, 07:11 AM   #21
DravitPlay
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Touring

Surely, if your car’s handbook states it’ll do 155mph, or whatever, that’s what you’re paying for and that’s what you’re owed? I think BMW would be in breach of advertising laws (I’m in the UK) if they refused to unleash the beast

I’m collecting mine later today (it has the M Performance setup) and if there’s any hint of a limit lower than specified it’ll be going back by the weekend.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 01:39 PM   #22
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Tourer View Post
Surely, if your car’s handbook states it’ll do 155mph, or whatever, that’s what you’re paying for and that’s what you’re owed? I think BMW would be in breach of advertising laws (I’m in the UK) if they refused to unleash the beast

I’m collecting mine later today (it has the M Performance setup) and if there’s any hint of a limit lower than specified it’ll be going back by the weekend.
I am in the U.S.

All of the data on the website, ordering form, and dealer literature was very clear on top speed. It was limited by all season tires and/or run flats. I ordered the high performance tire/cooling package and it specifically states the higher top speed. I don't recall the specifics but I think it was 130 vs 154.

Now that I went back to confirm the speed difference I do not see it. Maybe it was when it was the internal website at the dealer.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52754.50