Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics coffee spill into cup holders/usb/wireless charging area

06-23-2022, 05:40 PM   #1
lunar
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

coffee spill into cup holders/usb/wireless charging area

Spilled coffee into wireless charging area and cupholders/USB. Coffee sat and pooled there for about 2 minutes before I could wipe it all up. I sprayed some electrical contact cleaner in the usb port and then hit it with some compressed air.

My question is, is this area waterproof? Do I need to be concerned about coffee leaking into electronics under the cupholder area/wireless charging area and causing corrosion? Should I take it into the dealer to have it taken apart and cleaned up? Any info would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 12:55 AM   #2
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
I had this exact thing happen except that the coffee spilled onto my shifter/button area - that caused the car not to get out of park (after I put it into park) and triggered P-shifter malfunctions, driver's aid malfunctions, etc. At the time I wasn't comfortable with taking it apart and cleaning it myself, so I had the dealer do it. The shifter assembly is about $1,200-ish. I'd certainly clean it out. The coffee smell lingered but a small bit, but now it is back to a new car smell like it never happened. Car drives fine, but I'm very careful. The main reason the drink even spilled was because the coffee shop used the wrong lid for cold drinks, and the liquid came out after accelerating at a traffic light.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 07:48 PM   #3
lunar
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Thanks for sharing. Luckily my shifter area was unscathed.

I decided to just take it apart and replace the whole NFC tray part with another to be on the safe side. I havnt taken the NFC tray out yet but I assume a very small bit of coffee seeped down the sides. As for the USB port, I havn't tested it yet, but if it doesn't work I'll replace the cupholder/usb port part as well. Both the NFC tray and cupholder replacements are pretty easy to do. I'd suggest anyone who spills stuff in the cup holder/nfc tray area do the same. Better yet, make it a rule that everyone use the side cup holders instead of the center console cupholders!

Last edited by lunar; 06-25-2022 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 03:25 AM   #4
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar View Post
Thanks for sharing. Luckily my shifter area was unscathed.

I decided to just take it apart and replace the whole NFC tray part with another to be on the safe side. I havnt taken the NFC tray out yet but I assume a very small bit of coffee seeped down the sides. As for the USB port, I havn't tested it yet, but if it doesn't work I'll replace the cupholder/usb port part as well. Both the NFC tray and cupholder replacements are pretty easy to do. I'd suggest anyone who spills stuff in the cup holder/nfc tray area do the same. Better yet, make it a rule that everyone use the side cup holders instead of the center console cupholders!
As I never use that USB port in my 8 series, I bought some rubber covers off of Amazon that fit into the USB ports. While I'm sure they are not completely leak proof, they do prevent most splashes from going into the port. HTH.