Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications After bench unlock and tune I can't use remote start

01-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #45
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58josue View Post
Got an email back. Theyve added it to their list of developments with no ETA in mind. They said people only started mentioning this issue after BM3 and MHD fixed it.
Yeah I got the same thing, they said they didn't know this is an issue and people are only emailing them now that BM3 and MHD have fixed it. We need a whole lot of people to email them to apply pressure. That needs to be at the top of the development list. That list is miles long lol.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2023, 08:44 AM   #46
Nembus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Manual

What else is ECUTek lacking
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 08:07 PM   #47
Rspade
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340

Garage List
2020 bmw m340  [0.00]
Custom tune and remote start doesn’t work. I don’t think it matters what tune. Seems like most tunes cause this to happen. Has anyone found solution to this problem. It’s cold as fu** out
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 01:06 PM   #48
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M340iX

Garage List
TL; DR. BLUF. This post won’t help anyone. Lol

I struggled with the Carbahn tune for a year and a half. Remote start died upon tuning. Same with everyone else. They only have one guy doing all the coding for that side of the house and as you can imagine, he’s up to his eyeballs in work.

As for the tune itself, my experience may be different from others but you won’t want to rule out the negative side of things. So to fix the remote start I was willing to go back to stock until the issue is resolved. I went to the dealer twice to attempt a full DME reprogramming and twice it failed. Badly. So much so the tech and service manager were uncomfortable with pushing again in fear it may totally kill the DME. I went back to the GM at Carbahn and raised serious concerns because if something major were to happen, the DME can’t be flashed.. at all. So their programmer worked with me directly. They even sent out their benchloading tool which I hooked up at my house and they were able to flash back to stock. Remote start works now and I have the latest firmware from BMW loaded. No codes. No issues.

Reason why we ended up at that point was due to the use of a no-longer-in-use program from Alientech. That method of programming literally broke the DME and the dealer would never have been able to flash it back to stock. As they switched over to a different program shortly after my DME was tuned, it wasn’t found until they did a remote login and scanned the unit.

That said, as I know many of you try to avoid the dealer, I would strongly advise you to consider the possibility that the method your tuner used to program your DME may have caused so issues that your dealer will not be able to correct in the event shit hits the fan.

As of this moment, I can say that Carbahn is likely 30-60 days out from having a working patch for the Remote Start issue. And from what I’m understanding , it truly is a nightmare of a problem. If they stay on track, cool. If not, we’ll, that’s to be expected, as they’ve been working it for quite some time now. It’s not that it is on the bottom of the list of priorities. It’s that they’ve been thrown a hell of a problem to contend with and solutions aren’t coming quickly. Work-around a, yes. But those aren’t good work-arounds.

I’m happy enough being back to stock with a functioning remote start. I’ll deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 01:15 PM   #49
Nembus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostrata View Post

I struggled with the Carbahn tune for a year and a half. Remote start died upon tuning. Same with everyone else. They only have one guy doing all the coding for that side of the house and as you can imagine, he’s up to his eyeballs in work.

As for the tune itself, my experience may be different from others but you won’t want to rule out the negative side of things. So to fix the remote start I was willing to go back to stock until the issue is resolved. I went to the dealer twice to attempt a full DME reprogramming and twice it failed. Badly. So much so the tech and service manager were uncomfortable with pushing again in fear it may totally kill the DME. I went back to the GM at Carbahn and raised serious concerns because if something major were to happen, the DME can’t be flashed.. at all. So their programmer worked with me directly. They even sent out their benchloading tool which I hooked up at my house and they were able to flash back to stock. Remote start works now and I have the latest firmware from BMW loaded. No codes. No issues.

Reason why we ended up at that point was due to the use of a no-longer-in-use program from Alientech. That method of programming literally broke the DME and the dealer would never have been able to flash it back to stock. As they switched over to a different program shortly after my DME was tuned, it wasn’t found until they did a remote login and scanned the unit.

That said, as I know many of you try to avoid the dealer, I would strongly advise you to consider the possibility that the method your tuner used to program your DME may have caused so issues that your dealer will not be able to correct in the event shit hits the fan.

As of this moment, I can say that Carbahn is likely 30-60 days out from having a working patch for the Remote Start issue. And from what I’m understanding , it truly is a nightmare of a problem. If they stay on track, cool. If not, we’ll, that’s to be expected, as they’ve been working it for quite some time now. It’s not that it is on the bottom of the list of priorities. It’s that they’ve been thrown a hell of a problem to contend with and solutions aren’t coming quickly. Work-around a, yes. But those aren’t good work-arounds.

I’m happy enough being back to stock with a functioning remote start. I’ll deal with it.
Why don't you go with a BM3 or MHD tune? They both retain remote start/stop now
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 01:59 PM   #50
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

MG Flasher retains remote start as well. I'm on their stage 2 OTS 93 tune. Made 434 whp/470wtq. Not as popular but I'm loving it, power delivery is smooth and drives like stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 05:33 PM   #51
Nembus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowers36 View Post
MG Flasher retains remote start as well. I'm on their stage 2 OTS 93 tune. Made 434 whp/470wtq. Not as popular but I'm loving it, power delivery is smooth and drives like stock.
Think MHD/BM3 make somewhere around the same on stage 2 as well, probably within 15HP~
Appreciate 1
jpowers36218.00
      02-02-2023, 07:10 PM   #52
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nembus View Post
Why don't you go with a BM3 or MHD tune? They both retain remote start/stop now
Do they fully retain remote start? Or do they still implement work-around a? Like leaving the key card in the vehicle. ? Wasn’t aware anyone has actually figured out the remote start issue just like most, if not all have yet to figure out the DME unlock for the July 2020 and after units.

Fwiw, I really do want to go with BM3 due to the interface.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 07:17 PM   #53
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

It's fixed and works as it would from the factory. Key card not required.

MG Flasher, BM3, and MHD all work now. EcuTek hasn't fixed it yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 06:07 AM   #54
Rspade
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340

Garage List
2020 bmw m340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostrata View Post

That said, as I know many of you try to avoid the dealer, I would strongly advise you to consider the [...]
What bmw did you go to. Only 2 near me and they don’t tune at all.
Appreciate 0