Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 3 Series vs Tesla Model 3

03-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #375
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I thought SR availability is 2-4 weeks? And there is a long SR waitlist, so maybe there is no test drive for non-reservation holder?
If you want the SR but don't want to wait, why not just test drive MR?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 08:24 PM   #376
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
If you want the SR but don't want to wait, why not just test drive MR?
The SR has different interior options that haven’t been seen before. There is the standard interior and partial premium interior. I’d like to see what they look like.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 08:25 PM   #377
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras550 View Post
My 3 has better fit, finish than any of my 3s. As for design and curb appeal, it's better than all of my 3 BMWs combined :-) Very subjective of course, but here in CA BMWs get no attention, way too common, even the M3s are a dime a dozen, 320, 330i are definitely the common man's cars.
Common is good, esp. BMW parts for F30 are now quite cheap!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #378
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
With the new pricing, it looks like they are trying to incentivise people to go for SR+, MR, and LT. But don't forget they also raise prices sometimes too.
These price cuts say that either Tesla sandbag their cost structures (some said all along that Tesla has been charging early adopters very rich premiums), or Tesla is desperate to get order for any unit that rolls off assembly.

And there is $10k+ price cut on high-trim Model X? These look quite drastic...

Maybe there is more price cuts coming too!

EDIT: another reason can be Tesla achieves extraordinary economy of scale (and cost savings) within a few months, without significant increase in volume? No that does not make sense...

Last edited by bavarianride; 03-01-2019 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #379
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Quote:
These price cuts say that either Tesla sandbag their cost structures (some said all along that Tesla has been charging early adopters very rich premiums), or Tesla is desperate to get order for any unit that rolls off assembly.

And there is $10k+ price cut on high-trim Model X? These look quite drastic...

Maybe there is more price cuts coming too!

EDIT: another reason can be Tesla achieves extraordinary economy of scale (and cost savings) within a few months, without significant increase in volume? No that does not make sense...
Tesla has set pricing with no haggle. The price goes up and down. They set the price according to the market and car availability. Goal is to maximize profit. Same difference with Hyundai marking up their Kona EV today. Same difference when BMW marking up M3 and M5 back in the day. Teslas are hot commodity today. Market will determine prices. Either you have the money to buy a car you like, or you don't. Unfortunately, EVs have the tax credit that clouds the whole equation.

Last edited by openwheelracing; 03-01-2019 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #380
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post
"In CR’s testing, Model 3's braking distance from 60 mph was 152 feet, a distance that the outlet claimed is “far worse than any contemporary car [it has] tested” and was nearly seven feet longer than the braking distance than that of a Ford F-150."

Hmmm... Might want to re-think this....

I bet they can fix this with the "Brembo" software patch.
Actually, while you’re joking, they did fix it with an over the air software update.
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/30...proved-rating/
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:37 PM   #381
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Tesla has set pricing with no haggle. The price goes up and down. They set the price according to the market and car availability. Goal is to maximize profit. Same difference with Hyundai marking up their Kona EV today. Same difference when BMW marking up M3 and M5 back in the day. Teslas are hot commodity today. Market will determine prices. Either you have the money to buy a car you like, or you don't. Unfortunately, EVs have the tax credit that clouds the whole equation.
Should Tesla being hot commodity lead to price increase instead of decrease?

I guess your comments mean that Tesla was hot with its early adopter price premium, but now is not as hot, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:21 AM   #382
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
I guess your comments mean that Tesla was hot with its early adopter price premium, but now is not as hot, right?
Every time a new BMW M comes out, about a year into its production this site gets hundreds of posts of early buyers who are upset that they had to pay outrageous dealer markups, while new buyers are getting the same cars under MSRP.

Oh, no, wait...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 02:12 AM   #383
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Every time a new BMW M comes out, about a year into its production this site gets hundreds of posts of early buyers who are upset that they had to pay outrageous dealer markups, while new buyers are getting the same cars under MSRP.

Oh, no, wait...
Early adopter price premiums are universal, and prerequisite is limited supply.

M versus non-M. F30 back in 2012 virtually had zero markup at launch, and quickly dipped below MSRP. My 2013 was purchased 7 months into US launch, for 15% off MSRP.

G20 official US launch was yesterday March 1, and history is repeating itself right now around here.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 02:25 AM   #384
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

You just described Model 3 and explained the price fluctuation. Wait a little longer you can get multicoat white paint for half off but lose out on tax credit.

Tesla is not on the same stealership selling model. They are actually transparent and upfront.

Last edited by openwheelracing; 03-02-2019 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #385
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

M does have lots of M performance stuff that costs $$$$$ to add to non-M(even as factory packages), plus more sturdy powertrain + handling + braking components, plus the chassis reinforcement that is impossible to retrofit for non-M, plus the HP/lb-ft bump.

The above items somewhat explain the price delta of M versus non-M.

The Model 3 Performance versus non-Performance do not seem have much hardware differences, except a high capacity inverter or something? It is quite a costly software peak power bump, right?

That can explain how Tesla can drop MSRP on Performance by $20k so quickly in a year.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #386
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
"Transparent and upfront".

That's the quote of the day
Markup is bad regardless by manufacturer(e.g. Tesla) versus by dealer, as customers/consumers lose either ways, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #387
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Markup is bad regardless by manufacturer(e.g. Tesla) versus by dealer, as customers/consumers lose either ways, right?
Why? No one forced anyone to buy M5 with markup. Well, except for the pushy sales trying to make commission with stealer antics. Same reason no one forced Tesla buyers to be the first few Model 3, X, or S owners.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #388
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Why? No one forced anyone to buy M5 with markup. Well, except for the pushy sales trying to make commission with stealer antics. Same reason no one forced Tesla buyers to be the first few Model 3, X, or S owners.
That is true in principle.

In practice, Model 3 proponents last fall vilified anyone who remotely suggested Tesla could cut price after fed credits phasing out, and even attacked those reservation holders patiently waiting for $35k version.

Thanks to my clear headed colleagues, I was able to resist the FUD, and now can check out the $35k Model 3, which is 50%+ cheaper than Performance Model 3, at probably 85% as much fun as Performance at corners and such.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      03-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #389
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you have it all figured out. M has special “sturdy power train”, “handling and braking components” and “chassis reinforcements” that is “impossible to retrofit on a 4 banger 56k G20.

35K Tesla on the other hand, Is just a Performance version disguised as a cheap version. Got it. Thank you.
Performance does look like an overpriced Model 3 that was brilliantly marketed by Tesla to take advantage of the early adopters.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #390
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Performance does look like an overpriced Model 3 that was brilliantly marketed by Tesla to take advantage of the early adopters.
Perhaps Tesla should create a "P" badge & slap that on the steering wheel and trunk

Or for people like you who lucked out to take advantage and purchase one. Go take advantage of your local gallery today, test drive and buy one. Surely you have more than $3750 in tax liability you can take advantage of on top of state incentives. Come back and tell us how it went.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #391
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
That is true in principle.

In practice, Model 3 proponents last fall vilified anyone who remotely suggested Tesla could cut price after fed credits phasing out, and even attacked those reservation holders patiently waiting for $35k version.

Thanks to my clear headed colleagues, I was able to resist the FUD, and now can check out the $35k Model 3, which is 50%+ cheaper than Performance Model 3, at probably 85% as much fun as Performance at corners and such.
Before marrying into Tesla, check the service center experience because you might spend a lot of time there.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #392
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Before marrying into Tesla, check the service center experience because you might spend a lot of time there.
Yes I have dropped off colleagues there too, it is not as smooth as local BMW service bays but Musk did say two days ago they will go all out to improve service experience this year.

I am heading to factory store to see if there is a non-premium on display.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #393
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
One visit in eight months. Appointment made through the website (now can do it with the app), picked a date a week out that was the most convenient for me. 25 minute drive from my place. Was given an X as a loaner. 15 minutes in, 5 minutes out. Great service manager - smart, professional, good looking.

You must have had much worse experience, I'm guessing?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #394
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I am heading to factory store to see if there is a non-premium on display.
They obviously do not have a SR Model 3 to show you today.

You do know you can call first, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #395
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
They obviously do not have a SR Model 3 to show you today.

You do know you can call first.
My friend's car needed a trip to supercharger damn it.

The fabric sample is not bad, but the M car fabric is better than this.

The sales said non-premium seats are identical but with manual levers instead, plus vegan inserts at high-wear area.

Speakers are in-house brand, 14 speakers + subwoofer + 2 amps immersive sound for premium, that by itself may be worth $2k difference for audiophiles.

I will return after any non-premium is on display, at least to try out the seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #396
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

So the fabric is stopping you from buying one? But M car fabric was engineered with more strength, bullet proof and blessed with a Bavarian Saint. You don't want that Californian Hippy hemp fabric do you?
Appreciate 0