Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

05-03-2022, 01:00 AM   #89
ColinL_UK
Col
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Garage List
So I live in the Uk and I am a company car driver.

The economics of tax relief make the i4 M50 attainable for me, whilst the M3 would simply not viable. Unless I sold a kidney or two to offset the additional tax. Also it would be unlikely the company would consider the M3 or 4 because of the high running costs.

So I won't get the pure M experience but I will get a car which is exceptional and affordable (and cost effective to run) it's a trade off I am happy with.

I imagine in the UK this applies to a lot of drivers getting into i4's or Tesla M3P over the last couple of years.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2022, 01:27 AM   #90
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
It’s funny but the wife and I took the dog for a walk which means taking her Golf R, no way it’s getting in my car LOL. Anyway long story short I hadn’t driven the Golf for a good two weeks and frankly I was shocked just how unrefined the drive chain was, I never realised just how slow both the turbo spooling and the gearbox kicking down was in this car, something I never notice whilst I owned the M5 which has be thinking would I feel the same about it after spending this long with an electric car.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 04:42 AM   #91
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

In a way, the power delivery on an auto shifting ICE car is like a rubber band. You step on it a little, not much happens. So you give it more throttle and the trans shifts down, jerks the car, the engine winds out, but you don't need THAT much acceleration, so you let off the throttle and the trans upshifts, leaving you with less power than you might desire unless you go through the same cycle again or put the trans in manual mode. Meanwhile with an EV, your foot just dials in the exact amount of power you want from that torque rich curve.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 02:56 PM   #92
ColinL_UK
Col
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Garage List
So I live in the Uk and I am a company car driver.

The economics of tax relief make the i4 M50 attainable for me, whilst the M3 would simply not viable. Unless I sold a kidney or two to offset the additional tax. Also it would be unlikely the company would consider the M3 or 4 because of the high running costs.

So I won't get the pure M experience but I will get a car which is exceptional and affordable (and cost effective to run) it's a trade off I am happy with.

I imagine in the UK this applies to a lot of drivers getting into i4's or Tesla M3P over the last couple of years.
Appreciate 0