Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Post Pics of your G20 here

06-10-2020, 02:17 AM   #397
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post
Looks really good. Did you stick and screw the side skirts and front splitter?

Thanks
Strong double sided tape and small self tapping screws. Front lip comes with mounting plates that use the existing bolts underneath, four small screws for the front section
Skirts use tape and small self tapping screws, all fairly easy to fit although I do need to change two bolts on the lip(needs shorter ones)
My engineer neighbour helped me, but it was actually very straightforward.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:22 AM   #398
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330dMSXD View Post
Did those M-Performance parts make much of a difference to your insurance premium?

I am currently deliberating over the purchase of a M340d Touring in Dravit Grey with the Full M-Performance Kit and 20" 795M Wheels......I just do not want to pay double the insurance!

**Update** Completed an insurance quote with BMW who would not quote on the above car and specification. Managed to obtain a quote with AXA.....an extra £1,200 per year!

I am 55 Y/O, full NCB, Full UK licence for 35 years, no endorsements or accidents
No, my current insurance company were fine with it.
They did say that if I wanted to add more parts they would probably start charging. I guess when you change wheels and and add spoilers etc it makes the car look quite different. It still shouldn't double it though!!
I also ran a quote through Confused just in case they were less receptive and that was around £550 if I remember correctly. More than mine now but not too bad for such a car
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 04:00 AM   #399
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Did those M-Performance parts make much of a difference to your insurance premium?

I am currently deliberating over the purchase of a M340d Touring in Dravit Grey with the Full M-Performance Kit and 20" 795M Wheels......I just do not want to pay double the insurance!

**Update** Completed an insurance quote with BMW who would not quote on the above car and specification. Managed to obtain a quote with AXA.....an extra £1,200 per year!
AXA are a joke though. I'm sure their policy wording says something like no mods whatsoever? The likes of Admiral don't care and you can list out each item just to ensure it's covered.

Get on comparethemarket.com or confused.com and watch the price fall
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 05:45 AM   #400
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
The modifications are cosmetic but I suppose they make the car stand out more and hence in the eyes of an insurer it increases the chances of it being stolen or vandalised? The AXA increase still seems out of all proportion though....
I think its more likely to be the 20 inch wheels but it just proves you should shop around.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 07:17 AM   #401
Phippsy81
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport Plu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
Managed to get the side skirts/blades and front splitter lip fitted. I like the fact that it's quite subtle.
Subtle, but ironically makes such a difference! Looks great 👌🏼
❤️Portimao

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 07:23 AM   #402
Phippsy81
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport Plu

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorroone View Post
Quote:
Managed to get the side skirts/blades and front splitter lip fitted. I like the fact that it's quite subtle.
Wow Pete that was quick. IMO it looks just fab with the performance parts in black.

Did you consider the rear diffuser?
It's definitely on the list. Just need to find a cheaper alternative to the official one,
or a decent offer somewhere as the two parts required are very expensive. The Oval/square tailpipes on the M340 mean a different part to the M Sport one
Have you looked on eBay Pete at BMW Dealer shops?
I managed to pick up my bumper trim (double round pipes, not for 340i) and Carbon diffuser for £425! Bargain

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 08:07 AM   #403
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phippsy81 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wow Pete that was quick. IMO it looks just fab with the performance parts in black.

Did you consider the rear diffuser?
It's definitely on the list. Just need to find a cheaper alternative to the official one,
or a decent offer somewhere as the two parts required are very expensive. The Oval/square tailpipes on the M340 mean a different part to the M Sport one
I managed to pick up my bumper trim (double round pipes, not for 340i) and Carbon diffuser for £425! Bargain
I did have a look but couldn't find the bumper trim to fit the M340i. You got an amazing price!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #404
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phippsy81 View Post
Where from?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #405
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
That sounds a completely ridiculous increase for the modifications being proposed; what was AXA's quote for a standard car?
Standard Quote from AXA was £758.75 which was with £550 xs The next best was Churchill who quoted £1277.56 with £750 xs

Quote:
I am with Admiral and my son has an M140i with a splitter and side skirts and it din't change the premium much at all. The list them as cosmetic modifications and didn't seem too fazed by it. So I am hopeful if I do mine then it will not affect it too much?
I wish you all the best obtaining a resasonable insurance quote when you add your mods

Quote:
The modifications are cosmetic but I suppose they make the car stand out more and hence in the eyes of an insurer it increases the chances of it being stolen or vandalised? The AXA increase still seems out of all proportion though....
I was entirely aware that there would be an increase for the reasons you mention, but believe it or not AXA was the one of only a handfull of insurers that would quote.....and what a quote!

Quote:
They did say that if I wanted to add more parts they would probably start charging. I guess when you change wheels and and add spoilers etc it makes the car look quite different. It still shouldn't double it though!!
I also ran a quote through Confused just in case they were less receptive and that was around £550 if I remember correctly. More than mine now but not too bad for such a car
I ran some quote by BMW insurance as some forum members were speaking highly of them, they insisted a tracking device but would not offer a quote even with a tracking device declared.
I ran 2 other quotes through GoCompare.com and Confused.com and the best prices were via AXA at £1898.61 inclusive of £550 xs, Protected NCB, Legal Protection and enhanced car hire. WIthout the 'M-Performance mods' declared the quote would have been £758.75......I might as well wait for the new M3 it would be cheaper to insure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21-M340i View Post
AXA are a joke though. I'm sure their policy wording says something like no mods whatsoever? The likes of Admiral don't care and you can list out each item just to ensure it's covered.

AXA were the cheapest!.....Tried Confused.com and GoCompare thats where the AXAquote originated

Quote:
I think its more likely to be the 20 inch wheels but it just proves you should shop around.
I'll give it another try but I'm not holding out much hope.......you can understand why some people drive around uninsured! It would be cheaper to insure a ferrari
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #406
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That sounds a completely ridiculous increase for the modifications being proposed; what was AXA's quote for a standard car?
Standard Quote from AXA was £758.75 which was with £550 xs The next best was Churchill who quoted £1277.56 with £750 xs

Quote:
I am with Admiral and my son has an M140i with a splitter and side skirts and it din't change the premium much at all. The list them as cosmetic modifications and didn't seem too fazed by it. So I am hopeful if I do mine then it will not affect it too much?
I wish you all the best obtaining a resasonable insurance quote when you add your mods

Quote:
I was entirely aware that there would be an increase for the reasons you mention, but believe it or not AXA was the one of only a handfull of insurers that would quote.....and what a quote!

Quote:
I ran some quote by BMW insurance as some forum members were speaking highly of them, they insisted a tracking device but would not offer a quote even with a tracking device declared.
I ran 2 other quotes through GoCompare.com and Confused.com and the best prices were via AXA at £1898.61 inclusive of £550 xs, Protected NCB, Legal Protection and enhanced car hire. WIthout the 'M-Performance mods' declared the quote would have been £758.75......I might as well wait for the new M3 it would be cheaper to insure!

Quote:

AXA were the cheapest!.....Tried Confused.com and GoCompare thats where the AXAquote originated

Quote:
I'll give it another try but I'm not holding out much hope.......you can understand why some people drive around uninsured! It would be cheaper to insure a ferrari
That's pretty mental. I wonder if the wheels make the main difference.
Does your area suffer high vehicle thefts are you aware of, seems ridiculous. Maybe try it without the 20" wheels and see what it says.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 04:21 PM   #407
Aileron88
Rep
Drives: M340i

Here's mine after a lockdown wash
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
73henny501.00
OM3RTA391.00
      06-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #408
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
AXA were the cheapest!.....Tried Confused.com and GoCompare thats where the AXAquote originate! I'll give it another try but I'm not holding out much hope.......you can understand why some people drive around uninsured! It would be cheaper to insure a ferrari
I wish you best of luck...I had this problem on an M4 Comp (£1500 quotes and tracker requirements) but was politely informed an M4 was 9 times more likely to be stolen, so fair enough... 38 and it’s £650 a year, albeit without the M Performance gear fitted...

You can check your postcode risk level here:

http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com...risk-list.html
Appreciate 2
RichardM133.00
330dMSXD103.00
      06-11-2020, 02:38 AM   #409
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Quote:
I wish you best of luck...I had this problem on an M4 Comp (£1500 quotes and tracker requirements) but was politely informed an M4 was 9 times more likely to be stolen, so fair enough... 38 and it’s £650 a year, albeit without the M Performance gear fitted...

Good link - Explains why we get shafted in so-called nice residential areas in Sheffield for insurance 😌

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 02:44 AM   #410
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
AXA were the cheapest!.....Tried Confused.com and GoCompare thats where the AXAquote originate! I'll give it another try but I'm not holding out much hope.......you can understand why some people drive around uninsured! It would be cheaper to insure a ferrari

Never seen that before, explains a lot. I get cheap insurance but my house was massively overpriced so I still lose overall.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 05:47 AM   #411
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine was delivered this morning. Very pleased, of course, I would have liked Plus package but there were no business lease options when I was looking as my broker said the 330e was hugely in demand and then withdrawn before the price changes. HMRC updated already so definitely going to start enjoying the tax savings as well!

Appreciate 1
OM3RTA391.00
      06-11-2020, 06:11 AM   #412
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Never seen that before, explains a lot. I get cheap insurance but my house was massively overpriced so I still lose overall.
Bery nice areas often have very high risk too. As tea leaves go there for rich pickings....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 06:34 AM   #413
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Quote:

Thanks for the excellent link.

If correct it explains why my insurance premiums are high in the 'E' category!...an area with a high concentration of JLR employees who have company cars.
However, it appears no consideration is given to my driving record and claims history

Theres no surprise that the lower category A and B areas appear to be the more affluent and rural areas

Might as well buy a Dacia Duster
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 06:37 AM   #414
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_330e View Post
Mine was delivered this morning. Very pleased, of course, I would have liked Plus package but there were no business lease options when I was looking as my broker said the 330e was hugely in demand and then withdrawn before the price changes. HMRC updated already so definitely going to start enjoying the tax savings as well!

Very nice. Is that mineral grey? What colour interior have you chosen? Still waiting for mine!!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 07:04 AM   #415
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, really like the colour.

Got the standard black interior.

Appreciate 1
shahh3.00
      06-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #416
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, really like the colour.

Got the standard black interior.

Very nice. Mine should be mineral grey with cognac interior. Just waiting for it to be built now (was ordered in November!)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 07:35 AM   #417
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwnewbie2 View Post
Very nice. Mine should be mineral grey with cognac interior. Just waiting for it to be built now (was ordered in November!)
That sounds like a nice combo. How long till yours arrives? I managed to order middle of March and got a slot for a stock car with just privacy glass optioned but was happy with that as my GTI lease was coming to an end so needed to get a new car sorted.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 07:53 AM   #418
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That sounds like a nice combo. How long till yours arrives? I managed to order middle of March and got a slot for a stock car with just privacy glass optioned but was happy with that as my GTI lease was coming to an end so needed to get a new car sorted.
Should be built next week with delivery to me end July?
Appreciate 0