Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Words you don't want to hear after just buying a used car

08-15-2023, 12:25 PM   #23
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

I'd have asked to see pics of the car as it was repaired and rejected it if it had any filler in it, which is likely if they feel the need to respray it as dealers are notoriously tight with money spent on cars they aim to sell. Also when you come to sell it, if they ask if its ever been repaired / damaged, what are you going to say? Honesty will reduce the value of the car on resale. Not telling them could be a problem if the buyer finds out later. I'd be looking for some consideration for the damage or consider rejection.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 01:16 PM   #24
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tok'Ra View Post
Spoke to the salesman who sold me the car this morning. He assures me that the damage was there when he sent me the "on-line viewing" video clip, but that you can only see the ding at a certain angle and you need to kneel right down to be at that angle. They did not offer any sort of discount, but I woosed out and didn't ask to be fair. He appologised for the delay, and assured me that they will ensure that it's as good as new, or it will go back to the bodywork shop, again.
Hmmm. If the ding was there when he sent you the video, why didn’t the salesman alert you to the damage at the outset of your negotiation?

Last edited by sjb993; 08-15-2023 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:34 PM   #25
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb993 View Post
Hmmm. If the ding was there when he sent you the video, why didn’t the salesman alert you to the damage at the outset of your negotiation?
As I said in my past post, you can only see the ding at a certain angle and you need to kneel right down to be at that angle. So the SAlesman said anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:43 PM   #26
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
I'd have asked to see pics of the car as it was repaired and rejected it if it had any filler in it, which is likely if they feel the need to respray it as dealers are notoriously tight with money spent on cars they aim to sell. Also when you come to sell it, if they ask if its ever been repaired / damaged, what are you going to say? Honesty will reduce the value of the car on resale. Not telling them could be a problem if the buyer finds out later. I'd be looking for some consideration for the damage or consider rejection.
Unfortunately the bodywork shop is not on-site, it's at another location. I have asked for pics, but was advised that's not possible. Assuming I have no major mechanical or electrical issues with the car, it will be with me for at least the next 6 years, so by then buyers are not as likely to be asking about any body dings on a cat over 8 years old, IMHO anyway, but you do make a good point. I do feel some level of compensation is in order.

I sure wish well spec'd Oxide Grey, pre-LCI M340I MHT 's were not rather rare things to find, that would make it a bit easier to find another car that ticks all the boxes. I'm not great at compromising.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 03:37 AM   #27
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

It's not unusual for the bodyshop to be at a different location to the dealership.
My dealership is north of the River Tyne but the approved BMW bodyshop is south of the river several miles away.
Have you asked Vertu at Dorchester where their bodyshop is or used the contact number option for the bodyshop and see where you get put through to and then speak to the bodyshop direct?
I can understand your concerns about your new car purchase, I'd be the same but I'd do some more digging to try and get some more information if only to put my mind at rest! Especially since it's so far away and a 'distant purchase'. Just a thought.
Reading through your thread here and there is a lot of good advice from other forum members on here to support you!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 09:38 AM   #28
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
It's not unusual for the bodyshop to be at a different location to the dealership.
My dealership is north of the River Tyne but the approved BMW bodyshop is south of the river several miles away.
Have you asked Vertu at Dorchester where their bodyshop is or used the contact number option for the bodyshop and see where you get put through to and then speak to the bodyshop direct?
I can understand your concerns about your new car purchase, I'd be the same but I'd do some more digging to try and get some more information if only to put my mind at rest! Especially since it's so far away and a 'distant purchase'. Just a thought.
Reading through your thread here and there is a lot of good advice from other forum members on here to support you!
That's good idea, I'll see if I can find the contact details for their bodworkshop and do some digging!

EDIT:- I've contacted a few bodywork shops in the Dorcester area, and it seems none of them have my car, but they all also said that even if they did have my car, because of GDPR, the main dealer would need to request the pics as they are the client, not me. I've again contacted the dealer to ask that the bodywork shop supply some pictures. I'd assume they would take before and after pics of all work they carry out as standard practice.

Last edited by The_Tok'Ra; 08-16-2023 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 03:25 PM   #29
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tok'Ra View Post
That's good idea, I'll see if I can find the contact details for their bodworkshop and do some digging!

EDIT:- I've contacted a few bodywork shops in the Dorcester area, and it seems none of them have my car, but they all also said that even if they did have my car, because of GDPR, the main dealer would need to request the pics as they are the client, not me. I've again contacted the dealer to ask that the bodywork shop supply some pictures. I'd assume they would take before and after pics of all work they carry out as standard practice.
As far as your last sentence is concerned I happen to be visiting my local BMW bodyshop tomorrow morning so I'll ask them what standard practice is as far as BMW are concerned.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 03:54 PM   #30
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Of course it possible.......... they are just stonewalling you. A couple of clicks on a phone at the bodyshop and they could receive a pic / video in minutes and send it on to you. My concern would be that the damage is more ( and perhaps much more) than they are saying. My mates Porsche Taycan got what they described as "a minor scratch" when in for a recall ...... turned out they replaced the O/S front wing and wheel!!! You pays your money and takes your chance ..... but when it comes to something so expensive I believe what I see not what someone with a vested interest tells me. They should be proud to show you their efforts to ensure you are satisfied with your new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 11:53 AM   #31
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
As far as your last sentence is concerned I happen to be visiting my local BMW bodyshop tomorrow morning so I'll ask them what standard practice is as far as BMW are concerned.
I'd appreciate that!! Thanks!! I asked for pics, but they have the car back now, so sent me another video created on a mobile phone, and let's be honest, you can't tell a damned thing from a video like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 11:56 AM   #32
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Of course it possible.......... they are just stonewalling you. A couple of clicks on a phone at the bodyshop and they could receive a pic / video in minutes and send it on to you. My concern would be that the damage is more ( and perhaps much more) than they are saying. My mates Porsche Taycan got what they described as "a minor scratch" when in for a recall ...... turned out they replaced the O/S front wing and wheel!!! You pays your money and takes your chance ..... but when it comes to something so expensive I believe what I see not what someone with a vested interest tells me. They should be proud to show you their efforts to ensure you are satisfied with your new car.
Will see if they can actually come up with some pictures in the interests of openness and honesty. The video they sent me just isn't cutting it for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 05:57 PM   #33
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Bodyshop I visited this morning do take photos of all jobs before work commences. It’s normal practice for them although didn’t say whether or not it was a BMW directive.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 06:42 PM   #34
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Bodyshop I visited this morning do take photos of all jobs before work commences. It’s normal practice for them although didn’t say whether or not it was a BMW directive.
OK Good to know!! thanks! bmnut
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 11:00 AM   #35
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

So I was advised that in the case of and insurance claim or similar, when work needs to be done, they yes, it's standard practice for pics to be taken, but when it's internal work for a dealership, they just fill in a form stating where the damage is and off the car goes to get the work done.

They noted that around 30% of the cars that go through the dealership need to have minor work done, small scufs and alike are so common to find on used cars, so they don't record those as it's not classed as accident damage.

They will send me some higher res pics, hopefully they will help.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 02:13 PM   #36
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ask to see the form as it will certainly describe what the damage is to guide the bodyshop and if its an outsourced bodyshop there will likely be a cost estimate / invoice associated with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 03:30 PM   #37
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Ask to see the form as it will certainly describe what the damage is to guide the bodyshop and if its an outsourced bodyshop there will likely be a cost estimate / invoice associated with it.
Good thinking!! I'll ask, can't hurt. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 05:09 AM   #38
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

So they sent me some pics. I believe the "ding" was about in line with, maybe a little higher, and just in front of the door handle. Looking back at the original video they sent of the car, I see no ding, so I think there has been an "inccident" moving cars around after I agreed to buy it. You guys see anything?
Attached Images

Last edited by The_Tok'Ra; 08-19-2023 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 05:24 AM   #39
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

1 more pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 05:54 AM   #40
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Very very hard to tell from photos. You need to see it in the flesh, in good light.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 06:20 AM   #41
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
Very very hard to tell from photos. You need to see it in the flesh, in good light.
I agree, but it's a distance sale. The car is approx 440 miles away from where I live :-/
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 06:26 AM   #42
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Then distance selling regulations must surely apply? You have the right to return the 'goods' within 14 days, I think (but I'm not a lawyer!)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 06:37 AM   #43
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
Then distance selling regulations must surely apply? You have the right to return the 'goods' within 14 days, I think (but I'm not a lawyer!)
I believe so... yes. This article below seems to lay out the basic details, and since the seller will be transporting the car up to me (A driver will bring the car to me and return home in my trade-in) this seems to ensure I'm covered by the 14 day distance selling regulations.

https://www.carguide.co.uk/blog/buyi...tance-selling/

EDIT:- This article also backs that up. https://www.themotorombudsman.org/distance-sales-faqs

Last edited by The_Tok'Ra; 08-19-2023 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2023, 06:56 AM   #44
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

It looks fine from the photographs but as Paul says it's difficult to tell until you're standing alongside it in the daylight (or the old fashioned sodium street lighting...remember how that used to show up poorly matched paintwork?!).
See if you can detect any difference with an LED light perhaps?

Pretty confident that distance selling regulations would apply in these circumstances mind you.
Appreciate 0