Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The Sports Lounge Ski blades/Mini skis anyone tried it?

11-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Ski blades/Mini skis anyone tried it?

Hi guys,

I got back into skiing last winter after "some" years.

These little skis aka ski blades/snow blades/mini skis have caught my eye.

I'm curious if anyone has used them and what your thought are?
From what I've been able to gather they are pretty fun and really easy to use.

Name:  elan-mini-skis-fixations-freeline-track-homme.jpg
Views: 8981
Size:  23.5 KB

Last edited by Wolf 335; 11-14-2016 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

I grew up skiing in the 90's and early 2000's seeing this fad come and go (snowblades). They are "fun" but are dangerous if you are not a great skier. It's very easy to hurt yourself (there is a very short tail on the ski and most people ski leaning back with their weight). I see people lose control easier because there is no leverage on the short tail to turn them. They are very rigid so it can also be very hard on the knees. It seems that the ones you posted are longer so they would be more stable.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

As a former ski pattroller, many hills also do not allow them, you may also want to wear wrist guards. The 'ole double wrist snap.

Although, the pic you posted are not "mini skis". A 135 is not really that short with new more modern skis, just more of a freestyle ski for hitting the snow parks.

These are snow blades that are banned on many hills.

Personally, I am on 155's slalom race skis, compared to my 213's "back in the day". Skis have gotten much shorter over the past couple years.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 11-14-2016 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks View Post
I grew up skiing in the 90's and early 2000's seeing this fad come and go (snowblades). They are "fun" but are dangerous if you are not a great skier. It's very easy to hurt yourself (there is a very short tail on the ski and most people ski leaning back with their weight). I see people lose control easier because there is no leverage on the short tail to turn them. They are very rigid so it can also be very hard on the knees. It seems that the ones you posted are longer so they would be more stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
As a former ski pattroller, many hills also do not allow them, you may also want to wear wrist guards. The 'ole double wrist snap.

Although, the pic you posted are not "mini skis". A 135 is not really that short with new more modern skis, just more of a freestyle ski for hitting the snow parks.

These are snow blades that are banned on many hills.

Personally, I am on 155's slalom race skis, compared to my 213's "back in the day". Skis have gotten much shorter over the past couple years.

Thanks guys, this is exactly the feedback I was looking for.

I didn't realize that the photo I posted was 135cm length. The length I would consider would be between 99-125cm as it seems to be the standard for this type of ski.

I am definitely not an advanced skier, so I was under the impression that these would actually be easier to get back into the game with, considering the shorter length and ease of movement. I would definitely start off with poles just for some balance.

Matt, in the photo you posted from what I can see those are non-release bindings. I'm assuming that's the danger part you're referring to? I would definitely be getting quick release.

MightyMouseTech, your photo is not showing up for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Here, added as an attachement.

But seriously, any modern ski is going to be crazy easy to turn compared to skis from before thanks to the sidecut they are all built with now.

My 155's will turn RIGHT F'ING NOW! They are actually a little hard to cruise gently, but that is largely a function of the stiffness and the sidecut.

Going down to something like a 99 and you will loose a lot of stability, which is actually the point of them.
Attached Images

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 11-14-2016 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Yes most "short" skis are non-release bindings. Another reason they suck.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #7
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
I have a set...love them. I've played hockey my whole life, so I can relate to their usage. Much less...the mountains here in PA, I think everyone else calls them ant hills.

Handed them over to my son...I don't think he's tried them yet.
Appreciate 0