Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Unintentional door and boot opening

02-27-2020, 03:23 AM   #1
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Unintentional door and boot opening

So this has now happened twice to me. Once at home and yesterday in Blackburn town centre.

I always lock the doors and look to see that the mirrors fold in by way of certainty. A few weeks ago I went out to the car parked on my driveway and all the windows were open and the car unlocked.
I hang my keys up immediately after entering the house so not sure how this happened.

Yesterday I parked on the street in a busy town to visit a customer.
Same procedure, look for the mirrors to fold before walking away.
When I returned to the car the mirrors were unfolded and the boot lid fully open. Nothing stolen from the car so huge credit to the good people of Blackburn because it could have been open for two hours!

As I was within 50 yards of the car but out of sight I’m guessing the remote was triggered in my trouser pocket.
Looking at the M Sport key/remote these press buttons have a wave shape and stand proud of the key bezel a little.

My previous 5 series M Sport had the regular remote and nothing like this ever happened ( key fob routinely in trouser pocket the same) over three years or indeed never with any of my previous BMW’s

I guess this is just a warning as to where you store your fob especially in the warmer weather when trouser/jeans pockets are all you have.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:16 AM   #2
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
So this has now happened twice to me. Once at home and yesterday in Blackburn town centre.

I always lock the doors and look to see that the mirrors fold in by way of certainty. A few weeks ago I went out to the car parked on my driveway and all the windows were open and the car unlocked.
I hang my keys up immediately after entering the house so not sure how this happened.

Yesterday I parked on the street in a busy town to visit a customer.
Same procedure, look for the mirrors to fold before walking away.
When I returned to the car the mirrors were unfolded and the boot lid fully open. Nothing stolen from the car so huge credit to the good people of Blackburn because it could have been open for two hours!

As I was within 50 yards of the car but out of sight I’m guessing the remote was triggered in my trouser pocket.
Looking at the M Sport key/remote these press buttons have a wave shape and stand proud of the key bezel a little.

My previous 5 series M Sport had the regular remote and nothing like this ever happened ( key fob routinely in trouser pocket the same) over three years or indeed never with any of my previous BMW’s

I guess this is just a warning as to where you store your fob especially in the warmer weather when trouser/jeans pockets are all you have.
Maybe a bit left field....are you the first owner? I ask as it is possible that a previous owner may still have access to your car in their BMW Connected account. Although I am not sure if you can open the boot via Connected?

I have had quite a few loaners from BMW and always hook them up to Connected. Out of idle curiosity I looked a while back to see if they were still active using the 'find my bmw' feature and they were all alive and kicking....including the £90k 850 I had for a while!! Same when I traded in my f34, access was retained.

Seems like a big hole in the system.

Needless to say, all now removed!

Either way, I would get the car back to the dealer as I can't see that the key buttons are that sensitive......or an insurance company being overly sympathetic if a scrote takes advantage. Or it rains.......

I'm not sure what range the fob has - 50 yards sounds a lot but maybe it is that strong
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 05:08 AM   #3
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
Maybe a bit left field....are you the first owner? I ask as it is possible that a previous owner may still have access to your car in their BMW Connected account. Although I am not sure if you can open the boot via Connected?

I have had quite a few loaners from BMW and always hook them up to Connected. Out of idle curiosity I looked a while back to see if they were still active using the 'find my bmw' feature and they were all alive and kicking....including the £90k 850 I had for a while!! Same when I traded in my f34, access was retained.

Seems like a big hole in the system.

Needless to say, all now removed!

Either way, I would get the car back to the dealer as I can't see that the key buttons are that sensitive......or an insurance company being overly sympathetic if a scrote takes advantage. Or it rains.......

I'm not sure what range the fob has - 50 yards sounds a lot but maybe it is that strong
I’ve had the car from new since November. I’m always 100% sure the car is locked before I leave it. I’m still thinking it’s a similar situation to a phone in pocket “Butt call”.
The fob will work with very little pressure.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:15 AM   #4
ThreeBlue
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

This happened to me with the boot opening last week. Home from work, parked on the drive, plugged in and locked up. Next morning I come out to a battery full of charge and a boot full of rain water. Thankfully a 6 pack of dehumidifying crystals from Home Bargains seems to have removed all the moisture!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #5
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlue View Post
This happened to me with the boot opening last week. Home from work, parked on the drive, plugged in and locked up. Next morning I come out to a battery full of charge and a boot full of rain water. Thankfully a 6 pack of dehumidifying crystals from Home Bargains seems to have removed all the moisture!
So the doors must have been locked along with the charger cable locked to the car? I didn’t think the boot could be opened independently without the doors?
Something else going on?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #6
ThreeBlue
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
So the doors must have been locked along with the charger cable locked to the car? I didn’t think the boot could be opened independently without the doors?
Something else going on?
Not sure, I’ve only had the car two weeks so put it down to user error but maybe not if it’s also happening to others
Appreciate 0