Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Slow dealer service for software updates

11-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
HapkidoNinja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Slow dealer service for software updates

Quick question for folks on this topic...I took my M340ix in yesterday to my dealer for the software recall + camera update. The car has been sitting for 36 hours untouched and is supposed to "maybe get started on" this afternoon.

When I asked why the holdup the answer I was given is that the updates can take up to 8 hours per car due to connection errors and are tricky. That sounds like BS to me (on top of the fact that if you are jammed up enough to be at least 36 hours behind schedule, the right thing to do is call folks and delay the dropoff for a day).

So, turning to the collective wisdom of the crowd, is this real or is this BS?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Its real. I have been into BMW Seattle's facilities and there is an area dedicated for cars that are going through software updates. There are bunch of cars there constantly and the process is slow.

So you have to wait for your turn and hope that the update goes without any glitches. I am sure they are jam-packed due to recall.

I have no intention of taking my car in any time soon due to this reason alone.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
HapkidoNinja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Its real. I have been into BMW Seattle's facilities and there is an area dedicated for cars that are going through software updates. There are bunch of cars there constantly and the process is slow.

So you have to wait for your turn and hope that the update goes without any glitches. I am sure they are jam-packed due to recall.

I have no intention of taking my car in any time soon due to this reason alone.
Thanks. I got my vehicle back late this afternoon so while it wasn't ideal it was far from as bad as I feared when the SA told me it might not be ready.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

I went into BMW seattle for my recall/update and it was done in about 4 hours. Overall was impressed with the service.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:32 AM   #5
themur
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Took my car into dealer for the camera recall and it took about 2-3 hours. Granted I'm in California but updates shouldn't be taking days I'd look into a new dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #6
HapkidoNinja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The plot thicken. This morning when I started the car I discovered that the driver side heating was no longer working. It was blowing cold air. The passenger side heating was fine. I took the vehicle in and noted that this was screwed up and left the vehicle there. They will try and get to it before EOD.

The Service Associate pondered whether it might be an issue with the heater core (he claimed they replaced a defective one in a similar vehicle the other day) but I noted that unless they split cores, it was working fine on the passenger side.

Overall the experience is not leaving me with any warm fuzzies about the service department there. We shall see what they turn up.

UPDATE: As I suspected, the tech failed to update and reinitialize the paddles controlling the air flow mix after updating the s/w, hence they were unresponsive. Not exactly what I would call attention to detail....

Last edited by HapkidoNinja; 11-23-2019 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
TTG
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapkidoNinja View Post
The plot thicken. This morning when I started the car I discovered that the driver side heating was no longer working. It was blowing cold air. The passenger side heating was fine. I took the vehicle in and noted that this was screwed up and left the vehicle there. They will try and get to it before EOD.

The Service Associate pondered whether it might be an issue with the heater core (he claimed they replaced a defective one in a similar vehicle the other day) but I noted that unless they split cores, it was working fine on the passenger side.

Overall the experience is not leaving me with any warm fuzzies about the service department there. We shall see what they turn up.

UPDATE: As I suspected, the tech failed to update and reinitialize the paddles controlling the air flow mix after updating the s/w, hence they were unresponsive. Not exactly what I would call attention to detail....
Which dealer is this? Bellevue?

I would never take my car there even if they paid me to service my car there.

Do the drive and go to Seattle. Night & Day experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #8
HapkidoNinja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My car is now in need of the 1 year service. Since they want me to drop the vehicle off for 3-4 hours, and I have no intent of staying there that long, and Seattle is still locked down, I am taking a loaner.

Meanwhile, my wife is stressed (given Covid-19) that I am taking a loaner instead of dropping the vehicle off at Bellevue. I read in Yelp that many of the more experienced Bellevue techs have allegedly been hired away by Seattle. Why can't we have a decent dealer on the Eastside?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #9
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapkidoNinja View Post
My car is now in need of the 1 year service. Since they want me to drop the vehicle off for 3-4 hours, and I have no intent of staying there that long, and Seattle is still locked down, I am taking a loaner.

Meanwhile, my wife is stressed (given Covid-19) that I am taking a loaner instead of dropping the vehicle off at Bellevue. I read in Yelp that many of the more experienced Bellevue techs have allegedly been hired away by Seattle. Why can't we have a decent dealer on the Eastside?
Sucks about bellevue. I’ve been really happy with seattle overall and the loaner process was nice. They have a cover they put on the steering wheel and it gets removed as you get in,
So at least there’s that.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #10
TTG
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
Sucks about bellevue. I’ve been really happy with seattle overall and the loaner process was nice. They have a cover they put on the steering wheel and it gets removed as you get in,
So at least there’s that.
Bellevue probably wont even consider giving a loaner to start with.

Seattle will disinfect the car before you get in and you are more than welcome to bring your own wipes and wipe the entire car as well.

This is the time of the year that I service all of my cars and between what the dealers do and my cleaning afterwards, I am not that worried.

Everyone is just freaked out, period.
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc231.50