Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Cross Shopping BMW 330 with Mazda6 2.5T

12-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

Cross Shopping BMW 330 with Mazda6 2.5T

So has anyone actually cross shopped between these two vehicles?

It appears the Mazda 6 has the 2.5T: with 250 HP, 310lb-ft vs BMW 330 2.0T: 255 HP, 295 lb-ft

Both use premium fuel.

Any thoughts and comments with respect to driving dynamics, other than the cost? Has anyone driven both for consideration?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

The Mazda 6 is front wheel drive, that alone should sway your decision over to the 330. That being said the 2.5T engine in the 6 is great (we had it in our 2017 CX-9). The transmission is a bit of a letdown though.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

I could see the mazda being cross shopped with a 3 series. Even though the 3 series is classified as a compact car, in reality it's really closer to midsize. This is more true with the g20. Since the size and level of utility offered is similar, it really becomes a question of whether rwd/awd or fwd, and whether the premium marque offers enough over the mazda to be worthwhile. In other words, the question being asked is, "does the bmw offer enough over a well appointed mazda6 to be worth the premium price?" The lines between the lower level premium models and well optioned mainstream models has been become more blurred than ever. Mainstream models offer near-luxury levels of technology, comfort, and quality, and luxury marques are offering more entry level models that range somewhat widely in price, with deals and lease rates that allow them to be more easily obtainable. Basically, the mainstream models are getting nicer, while the premium brands are offering more models that can be had for only slightly more if you're a savvy shopper.

Add to that the fact that much of the driving experience in modern cars has been diluted anyway, and the lines blur further. Both will be quiet, smooth and refined, with relatively numb steering and intrusive on board stability and traction control. I don't know what the mazda6 performance specs are like with the turbo engines, but I'd guess that the 330i will still come out on top there. Despite the specs, the 330i will still likely feel a bit quicker and crisper due in large part to the zf8. I think the mazda6 still offers a manual too though, so you have to consider that if it matters to you.

This is why I don't consider the 4 pot bimmers. There's not enough to separate it from everything else in my opinion. If I don't consider an m340i it be worth the price, I'd might as well go with a Honda/ mazda etc. Even if I can get a deal on a 330i, it's likely to be somewhat less reliable and costlier to maintain or fix I'm in the market to buy and hang on to it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I would go for the Mazda if it is trimmed up and the BMW is not. I think BMWs are great cars but so much of what makes them great are optional packages.
Appreciate 0