Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Mission Performance Presents World's First Tuning Solution For G20 M340i.

Closed Thread

11-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #111
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Guys, we are an actual Brick and Mortar business. As a business, we have to pay premium every month to post on these threads, and because of that fact, we only post when we have big updated or announcements and do not use these threads for customer support, as we have phone lines and emails for that. We do not spend time or money on threads that go off topic discussing a de-tune, even though a final result still puts down the advertised power. We will not entertain or comment on threads that suggest we purposely make up information or fake our baselines. That is just childish and not worth our input or time since even Carbahn has posted a dyno chart of stock car showing identical stock power compared to ours.

If someone wants actual information and honestly want to learn/research (and not just post for entertainment), then you guys can reach us over email or a simple phone call. We are glad to help and explain, unless you call us wanting flames and AK47 exhaust noises. In that case, we will give you a phone number to one of other tuning companies. We try to answer every call and email we get, even though it gets very annoying sometimes hearing questions like: "What is a spark plug". You would be surprised how many people call with question like that.

As stated before, we are not a Instagram/social media show business but instead we truly enjoy doing what we do, and that is finding ways to break BMW roadblocks and pioneer the BMW tuning industry. This is why we are always the first to come out with support for all the newest vehicles and don't wait for others to develop the technology. Because of this, we were chosen by Toyota TRD to work on their show supra and build a tuning solution for them. Since August, we have been working with TRD, while still having full support for m340i clients, and moving the Supra development forward.

We could easily step away from development, sit on forums with cup of coffee, dedicating all the time to threads and Instagram. Result would be canned, one size fits all, tunes with awesome social support. But that is not what we are about, and never will be. If that is what you are looking for, then just wait few more months and canned platforms will release their support.

Regarding statement about being "de-tune":

I have never stated that BMW detuned M340i below advertised levels, please see post #59 on this thread. The cars still make the advertised power after the new update and BMW did not lie or trick anyone. What happened, to repeat again, was the fact that some VERY early productions of M340i had software load onto them by the factory (not dealer) that had a significantly higher output then advertised. Think of it as beta version of MPPSK for the M340i. Remember, humans make this software, and humans are bound to make mistakes. So, the best I can guess, is that MPPSK software was compiled under base m340i ID numbers and pushed onto the production cars that way. BMW realized that issue early on and MOST M340i were updated/fixed even before they were sold to a customer. Others, got a bulletin to come in for "emissions" recalls.
Now, 19-6 to 19-7 update version (bulletin for oxygen heater error) showed 4wtrq/7whp loss. This is a negligible difference and could be adaptations variable, conditions influence or even further "modifications" by BMW. We wont know the answer to this question.

To summertime for the last time about this subject: BMW never tricked anyone and even after the 19-7 update, you are still getting the advertised power levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing this letter, it explains what all this hoopla about the 'power lost' is about.

Here in the US, there is no emission standards at full throttle (85%+). This exception was made so car manufactures could deliver maximum power when it is needed the most and the overall effect on emissions would be small, since people rarely drive at full throttle.

Thus, at high RPMs, the O2 sensors go into an "open loop" state and is taken out of the system so the fuel system can be enriched for maximum power, without the needed to abide by any federal emission standard, since it's exempt.

It seems in the early M340i, the ECU mapping was programmed in error to place the O2 sensor in a "open loop" state at lower power band, instead where it belong, at WOT.

This new software update places the power back in the higher RPM to meet allowed emission standards. So the addition power wasn't taken away, it was just move to higher band in the RPM.

This aftermarket tune just brings back original lower end power band.

Unfortunately, this information is completely incorrect. I'm not going into Emission explanations as this could be a VERY long thread, but All B58s run in closed loop as soon as oxygen sensor temperature reaches a certain threshold. There are some exceptions to this rule, but not the 85%+ throttle. B58s rely on oxygen sensor feedback to adjust fueling at ALL times, from idle to WOT at 7K. Now, oxygen sensor monitoring function (function used to monitor oxygen sensor health and heating element), is only active at part throttle and gets disabled at certain load, not throttle %. This function had a "glitch" in it on the early software versions, and this is why BMW issued a bulletin for software update related to oxygen sensor heater. Prior to this update, maximum load to disable O2 heater monitoring was set to 20rf, which caused the monitor not to RUN. The result was simple, oxygen sensor heater readiness monitor would just not set. That is is, nothing related to power output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I still don't understand where people are seeing this detune 50 hp dyno plot. I see a baseline and stages 1 and 1.5 aftermarket tune plots. No proof given for supposed detune by BMW. The actual aftermarket tune looks good from a delta perspective so not knocking that.
Exactly! There is no de-tuned 50hp plot posted anywhere. We did not dyno that "MPPSK" OEM flash since probability of anyone having this version are very slim at this point, but instead we just shared findings. These findings were discover during stock form data-log session of the car with only 100 or so miles, before any tuning began. We data-logged a factory stock car with production line flash (not dealer update), then updated the car to a current dealer level flash before tuning started. While data logging the production line vs dealer updated flash, we noticed this finding and posted about it. That is it, that simple.

Last edited by MissionPerformance; 11-19-2019 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 6
chenry2346.00
EXE462097.00
Transfer5242.50
RTPenland393.50
itsglen138.50
crbalch472.50
      11-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #112
BayM340i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Wanted to throw my two cents in here. Alex has been incredibly helpful with me via email over the last week or so and helped me through everything I needed to get this tune installed.

I now have a VRSF downpipe on my M340i with the stage two MP tune. It's a night and day difference. For an "M inspired" car, to me this is what the car deserves.

I'll try to upload some videos at some point as I had a hard time finding anything myself when I was looking to buy.
Appreciate 4
itsglen138.50
chenry2346.00
      11-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #113
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorjolin View Post
Wanted to throw my two cents in here. Alex has been incredibly helpful with me via email over the last week or so and helped me through everything I needed to get this tune installed.

I now have a VRSF downpipe on my M340i with the stage two MP tune. It's a night and day difference. For an "M inspired" car, to me this is what the car deserves.

I'll try to upload some videos at some point as I had a hard time finding anything myself when I was looking to buy.
Would love to see videos when you can and thank you for sharing your experience - VRSF & MP - that must be quite the ride. I have enjoyed much the same experience with Alex/MP - as a customer he is always responsive to me and is happy to talk with me about anything. It's nice to be able to exchange an email with the actual tuner/owner/author or talk with him on the phone.

There is a reason he is first to market and others follow - and a reason Toyota USA/TRD chose him for their Supra project. He is that good
Appreciate 2
itsglen138.50
      11-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #114
itsglen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
We are glad to help and explain, unless you call us wanting flames and AK47 exhaust noises. In that case, we will give you a phone number to one of other tuning companies.
classic
Appreciate 2
chenry2346.00
      11-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #115
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post

Regarding statement about being "de-tune":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing this letter, it explains what all this hoopla about the 'power lost' is about.

Here in the US, there is no emission standards at full throttle (85%+). This exception was made so car manufactures could deliver maximum power when it is needed the most and the overall effect on emissions would be small, since people rarely drive at full throttle.

Thus, at high RPMs, the O2 sensors go into an "open loop" state and is taken out of the system so the fuel system can be enriched for maximum power, without the needed to abide by any federal emission standard, since it's exempt.

It seems in the early M340i, the ECU mapping was programmed in error to place the O2 sensor in a "open loop" state at lower power band, instead where it belong, at WOT.

This new software update places the power back in the higher RPM to meet allowed emission standards. So the addition power wasn't taken away, it was just move to higher band in the RPM.

This aftermarket tune just brings back original lower end power band.

Unfortunately, this information is completely incorrect. I'm not going into Emission explanations as this could be a VERY long thread, but All B58s run in closed loop as soon as oxygen sensor temperature reaches a certain threshold. There are some exceptions to this rule, but not the 85%+ throttle. B58s rely on oxygen sensor feedback to adjust fueling at ALL times, from idle to WOT at 7K. Now, oxygen sensor monitoring function (function used to monitor oxygen sensor health and heating element), is only active at part throttle and gets disabled at certain load, not throttle %. This function had a "glitch" in it on the early software versions, and this is why BMW issued a bulletin for software update related to oxygen sensor heater. Prior to this update, maximum load to disable O2 heater monitoring was set to 20rf, which caused the monitor not to RUN. The result was simple, oxygen sensor heater readiness monitor would just not set. That is is, nothing related to power output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I still don't understand where people are seeing this detune 50 hp dyno plot. I see a baseline and stages 1 and 1.5 aftermarket tune plots. No proof given for supposed detune by BMW. The actual aftermarket tune looks good from a delta perspective so not knocking that.

You're basically saying the same thing I just said but instead you substituted "throttle" for "load" yet claims I'm wrong. Let me ask you; how does a vehicle build up a high load?

If the O2 heat monitor was not in a ready status, it means the vehicle took the sensor off the system and was supposedly always operating in an open loop status, since that's how it's designed to operate when there is no O2 feedback or in other situations listed below, akin to that of a vehicle at full, fuel-rich "load."

I get the gist of what you stated; when you retested the vehicle after the software updates, there was a lost in power output, which you attributable to new software, then conflated that with the "base" 340i (why?), hence the internet hysteria, which you didn't care to definitely correct, since it benefited the marketing of your product.

I gave you guys the benefit of the doubt and assumed the reason for the supposed power lost you claim on the two software updates was due to the correction to the O2 ready status back into play.

I'm not trying to knock your hustle and I respect your play but I just didn't believe it and still don't that there was any power lost within any of the updates or models, which was my reason for my hypothesis on emission letter.

The truth usually begins with a lie, so whatever a tuner claims, I just deduce as much information from that to figure out actual issue.
Maybe I'm right, maybe you are but until I get facts from another neutral source to back this up, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #116
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Once again we get someone "online knowledgeable" here that think they know it all just by reading forums. "Experts" like these are the reasons why we don't come back to forums much and let threads go dead for a while.

Poochie, let me give you a free lesson: O2 sensor Heater is activated from only few second (with Cold Start Enabled) to slightly under a minute (with Cold Start Disabled) after the engine is started. During this time, the car runs in Open loop, with fueling supply closly based on predefined mapping with no Oxygen sensor feedback. As soon as O2 is heated up (takes only few seconds with the O2 heater element inside the o2 sensor), the car switches to closed loop and uses oxygen sensor for a feedback on fueling. This is CLEALY shown in a basic log of this M340i with Pre "O2 Heater Recall":
https://datazap.me/u/missiontuning/m...12&zoom=17-110
Look at the RPM vs Load vs Lambda vs FuelFactor. You see as RPMs rise past 4K, Load Falls, Lambda Falls and Fuel factor is NOT equal to 1? Lambda is an Input from the O2 sensor and Fuel Factor is a correction factor derived from the predicted vs actual lambda. See, even at full throttle, you still have Closed Loop Condition.

Now, please go back to the recall letter and read it fully. The recall is for the O2 Sensor Heater MONITORING function and not O2 Sensor heater or O2 Sensor Heater itself. The O2 heater monitoring function has Zero, Zip, Zilch, Nada relationship to functionality of the O2 sensor and function of the Open/Close. The O2 Heater Monitoring function just checks how many seconds it took for the car to warm up the O2 sensor to a minimum specified temperature....and this is why you can not set the OBD2 Emission Monitoring Readiness when the engine is hot. Every documentation you can read in paper or even online tells you specifically that to set Readiness, you have to start the vehicle COLD and let it idle for at least 20 seconds. During this time, o2 sensor heater Monitoring function executes and checks the time it took for the heating element to get the sensor to the operating temperature....and according to that TSB, the function in question did not execute correctly.

Even with O2 sensor heater element RIPPED out of the sensor, the car will go into closed loop after at most 2 minutes of idle. Plain and simple.

PLEASE posts that entire article you just cropped and show us all where you pulled that info from? Back on ME7 (found on E39), that was true and ECU would disable the O2 feedback because of one little fact that you are missing: This holds true ONLY for Narrow Band sensors that can not physically output lambda value, but instead rely on lean-rich switching phase. Since Wide Band was introduced in later production E46 and EVERY vehicle after that, this obsolete 90s information holds zero merit on this topic. Just look at the log posted above and see for yourself.

Last edited by MissionPerformance; 11-21-2019 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #117
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thought it was cool (because you all know I'm a fan) that the Toyota USA TRD Supra tuned by Mission Performance is now at the LA Auto show. That's all
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #118
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Thought it was cool (because you all know I'm a fan) that the Toyota USA TRD Supra tuned by Mission Performance is now at the LA Auto show. That's all
Impressive
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #119
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This was posted on IG on Friday.

ps-the only thing I'll add (because you can't see the follow up comments here) is that this is all stock hardware from the exhaust to the turbo to the air filter etc...
Attached Images

Last edited by chenry; 11-24-2019 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: realized the third photo didn't post & added a missed word in my post
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
MadMoose113.50
      11-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #120
NeverEnough007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 1991 Mtechnic E30

Quote:
This was posted on IG on Friday.

ps-the only thing I'll add (because you can't see the follow up comments here) is that this is all stock hardware from the exhaust to the turbo to the air filter etc...
Saw this. Pretty impressive numbers!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #121
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Outstanding numbers. Really considering getting a tune and after seeing Mission’s response to some of the other posters on this thread there is no one else I would consider going to.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #122
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Lol "what is a spark plug?"

Please stop modding your car if you don't know some basic mechanics and have foundational automotive experience.

MP FTW!
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #123
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

My Son sent this edited pic to me from the LA Auto Show today - yes we all know behind the scenes Toyota leveraged Alex and his company Mission Performance to tune their B58 equipped Supra - but cool to see that Toyota is giving credit where credit is due.
Attached Images

Last edited by chenry; 12-01-2019 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: typo cold=could
Appreciate 4
clee1982796.00
ssadri68.50
itsglen138.50
      12-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #124
itsglen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My Son sent this edited pic to me from the LA Auto Show today - yes we all know behind the scenes Toyota leveraged Alex and his company Mission Performance to tune their B58 equipped Supra - but cool to see that Toyota is giving credit where credit is due.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #125
B58Tuned
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340iX

Hey guys/gals,

Lurker here, just created an account.
Came to say I will be taking delivery of an M340 on Wednesday, within 48 hours of delivery I will be tuning it to stage 1 stock hardware on 93 octane.

I will also be adding burble mode, excited about that since I’ve heard sound clips and this car already sounds good stock.

Hoping to see 0-60 in 3.8s, that would be amazing.

Will keep you all posted.
Appreciate 1
chenry2346.00
      12-07-2019, 03:06 PM   #126
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58Tuned View Post
Hey guys/gals,

Came to say I will be taking delivery of an M340 on Wednesday, within 48 hours of delivery I will be tuning it to stage 1 stock hardware on 93 octane.

I will also be adding burble mode, excited about that since I’ve heard sound clips and this car already sounds good stock.

Welcome - looking forward to your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #127
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpina D5S

I'm waiting my tune to be ready.

My car is 274 km, and I've ordered my tune on 26 November.
it won't take much longer I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #128
joes_m340
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Hey guys/gals,

I'd be mindful until you get through the break-in period.
      12-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #129
ssadri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 540xi M-Performance

Thumbs up

I called and spoke with Alex Friday morning and drove from Orange County to Rancho Cucamonga that same day to have my Stage 1 upgrade done. He was very professional and informative about the software upgrade and what I can expect performance wise from my car afterwards. I filled my tank half way up with 91 and 1 gallon of E85 (2 gallons of E85 for a full tank of 91) immediately afterwards and drove smooth for the first 5 miles as instructed and started running it a bit harder after that and man the car moves! I haven't been able to truly push the car as of yet because of the unusual rainy weather we are having in OC especially with my RWD M340i. So far I can tell you the car feels more like a true "M" car when it comes to take off and power. This thing pulls!! Still hesitant on pushing it all the way, I will keep you posted as the weather gets better on how it runs. I recommend working with Alex and Mission Performance. Also FYI make sure you get the EEPROM Memory backup option with MP.

Current Selection:
Stage 1
Burble Mode (Loud!)
EEPROM Memory backup (Highly Recommended)
Speed Limiter Delete
91 Octane (+E85 option but not mandatory)
Attached Images

2009 BMW X6 50i Dinan (Sold) Alpine White
2003 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Laguna Seca Blue | 1995 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Santorini Blue II
Appreciate 2
MadMoose113.50
chenry2346.00
      12-08-2019, 11:38 PM   #130
MadMoose
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Glad to see more people having good results from the mission tune. I've almost ordered it a couple times but getting nervous about breaking things haha. I'd want to go get a before and after dyno done too since they're only about an hour away.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 04:14 AM   #131
B58Tuned
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340iX

ssadri

Im very curious about the burble mode, can you comment on before/after in Sport+?

BONUS: include a sound clip haha
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #132
ssadri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 540xi M-Performance

Quote:
ssadri

Im very curious about the burble mode, can you comment on before/after in Sport+?

BONUS: include a sound clip haha
I'll see if I can include a sound clip later this afternoon when I get a chance but the best way I can put it is that if each pop in Sports+ mode would be about 0.5 seconds, it's now prolonged to 1.5-2 seconds each and more pronounced with a deeper burble in between to follow.
2009 BMW X6 50i Dinan (Sold) Alpine White
2003 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Laguna Seca Blue | 1995 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Santorini Blue II
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread